Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Four skills of English

hakimi

hakimi

Yemen

what do you think is coming the first importent learn of four language skills.Listening,Speaking,reading or Writing.?

11:35 AM Nov 15 2006 |

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Nice to meet you hakimi Smile

The four areas are important , they are connected, one leads to another. Just think in our daily life, we read a newspaper, we talk on the phone, we listen to a song and we write a mail. When we talk about a second language is the same.

We can be more or less skillful in any of them, but all of the areas  are important.

What is more, if we are talking about exam papers, we must include " Use of English " (grammar), so we have 5 papers in an exam.

Greetings from Spain !!

12:40 PM Nov 15 2006 |

hakimi

hakimi

Yemen

Thank you greet-mama for your comm. .
see you here again.
bye

04:10 AM Nov 18 2006 |

tonyliu72

tonyliu72

China

Hi, Hakimi, Nice to meet you. For me, I think listening and speaking is very important than reading or writing. In my work, many chances requires me to communicate with foreign suppliers or colleagues directly by phone. But my listening & oral english is very poor, so always miss some points when talking to others. Could you share some advise on improvement ? thanks..

05:05 AM Nov 18 2006 |

hakimi

hakimi

Yemen

CoolTHANK YOU TONYLIU AND GreatMAMA .NICE TO MEET YOU TOO, WE ARE NOW LEARNING ENGISH BY USING TWO SKILLS ONLY wRITING AND READING , BUT WHEN WE WILL COMMUN.WITH OTHERS WE WILL MEET DIFFECULTS IN USE OUR STORE OF WORDS WHY ? BECAUSE WE DIDN'T USE ANOTHER SKILLS LISTENING AND SPEAKING.SO FOUR SKILLS MUST BE LEARN IN SAME TIME. YOU CAN USE LISTENING AND SPEAKING MORE THAN OR WITHOUT ANOTHERS.BUT ALL AREAS IMPORTANT LEARN PARALLEL,LIKE GreatMAMA THINKS…............THANK YOU ALL FRIENDS

11:08 AM Nov 26 2006 |

hermann

hermann

Latvia

I think that the most important is speaking. I my self understand quite well but I can’t nor speak neither write and it is terrible. I mean some people do not understand anything but they are not afraid of speaking and so learn much quicker.  

12:31 PM Dec 03 2006 |

elite83

elite83

Viet Nam

I think 4 skills are very important too…But for me, I think the listening and speaking skills is the most important for us…because it is the shortest distance help us talk and listen each other…it will make our barrier language closer and friendly…but how can do us improve 2 skills…i really need ur advice!Thanks sincerely!Wink

12:59 AM Dec 14 2006 |

aishamyesha

Philippines

hi hakimi!!!!

well, i guess the four macro skills in language are all important.We should learn the four skills since its all connected to each other.Take for example: a new baby. Baby learn their language slowly. First they learn to listen.Then they learn to talk. Finally, They can read and write.so see, its all connected then. 

08:38 AM Apr 24 2008 |

hakimi

hakimi

Yemen

If you want to become a fluent English speaker you should take some advice: There are four skills in learning English which are reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The most important thing you must bear in mind is that reading and listening are inputs whereas speaking and writing are outputs. In other words, if you want to improve your speaking and writing skills you should first master the skills of reading and listening. There are some ways that you can do so, which I will try to summarize.

1.Reading

Read as much as you can. But your reading must be active. It means that you must think about the structure, unfamiliar words etc as you read. There is no need that you stick to some complicated grammar structures or try to understand all the unfamiliar words you come across, but the fact that you see them for the first time and recognize them whenever you see them for example in other passages or books is enough. It would be better to prepare yourself a notebook so you can write down the important words or structures in it. To begin reading, I recommend the Penguin Readers books. They are classified by level of difficulty.

2.listening

As for listening, there are two options:

a) Aside from reading, you can listen every day for about 30 minutes.

b) You can only concentrate on your reading and become skillful at your reading, then you can catch up on your listening…

I myself prefer the latter because when you are skillful and native-like at reading, your listening skill grows automatically. Since you have lots of inputs in your mind, you can easily guess what the speaker is going to say. This never means that you should not practice listening. For listening I recommend cartoons or some movies that are specially made for children. Their languages are easy and do not contain complicated phrases or slang terms. Or if you are good at listening you can listen to Englishbaby lessonsVOA or BBC programs broadcasted every day. Again the thing to remember is being active in listening and preferably taking some notes. If you follow these pieces of advice, your speaking and writing will improve automatically, and you can be sure that with a little effort they will become perfect

03:02 AM Apr 27 2008 |

Look.For.Smile

Saudi Arabia

helloooo ,

I think if you want the language only for communication , you will need two skills ( listening , speaking ) .

And if you need it for studeing , working or to be your main language , you will need all of the skills .

Greeting from saudi arabia .

09:35 AM Apr 27 2008 |

hakimi

hakimi

Yemen

Hi Look for..and all friends thanks for  sharing us your nice comments

Listening and reading skills you need as inputs to fluent speaking ,,,,

greeting from  Yemen for you and all friends who posted here ..

04:32 AM Apr 28 2008 |