Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Apologies to Mastermind! :)

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

In a now-dead thread, our friend Mastermind posted the following message: (Copied and pasted from the original thread)

------------

Apart from our Nigerian hackers all of whom are potential nominees for the nobel-prize as the best novelist (see this thread for info), some others have also emerged, and their style is a bit different.

The one I faced was able to read my private message that I sent to someone else, who has nothing with that someone. Then of course he answered to my message with many smileys, like he did something effective.

Here he is.This is Lord-tom,a French member,who has recently cancelled (sic) his membership.Maybe he just got bored from what he's doing, who knows.Anyway,bully for you,Tom.

His last online movements: commented on; the popular member Lina's photo, her another one, on Naomi's profile, made friends with panitpicha and ameroff.

At this point we have nothing to do to prevent these attacks..But I want to point out that you musn't ever give your address, phone number, credit card information and such private info in your private messages you send to your friends here in this site. Remember that they all can be read anytime by a third person.Regards (sic)

---------------

Here was my reply: (Copied and pasted also)

------------

The link to the French guy's site leads to a 404 page that calls for a login. When you're there, it asks you to log in again. I'm wondering if this is all what we think it is or if it's a red herring. Perhaps there is a script running here that logs your id and password. Just a thought. Right Mastermind? You have only 9 friends so you seem to be a recent addition to the family. Were you someone else before? :) I've noticed that hacker's love to brag about their hacks. Is this what it really is? 

-------------

Hormosapi (politely) responded thusly:Mapleleaf Man
Did you check other people profiles who left the Englisbaby also? You should try MemoTheHun or his alias mmemoo. You can find official links among  list of English Talk topics.
Well, if you were able to read a link you would know that the given link belongs to the Englisbaby directly as it's a subdomain. Nothing wrong with it.
I tell you there is bug only in the site's running source.  (which made a lot of sense and thanks, Hormosapi for trying to help.)

------------

Mastermind then finished off the thread this way:

Mapleleaf Man,
I believe 'hormosapi' has given a reasonable answer to your charge levelled at me.
"You have only 9 friends so you seem to be a recent addition to the family. Were you someone else before? :)"

Sir, I don't have the habit of pokémon collecting like someone else, so therefore I'm sorry for not having so many friends. :)

(inferring that I am a pokémon collector because I have a whole bunch of people who thought I helped them out here on Ebaby and added me as a friend. Oooops! My bad! :)We call that 'calling the kettle black' but I think that's all water under the bridge. Right? )

------------

It seems that Mastermind probably isn't the hacker. He hasn't responded to my queries and has now accused me of calling him a hacker. I'm not sure I actually accused him, although I did infer that he might have something up his sleeve. I found it curious that the link he posted led to a 404 which didn't have the Ebaby profile name at the top, having a Login link instead. Now I realize that all 404s on Ebaby lead to that kind of page, so apologies to you Mastermind! I would suggest, however, that you got your information about my post from another member. No matter. The reason I suggested that you might be the hacker is because you knew so much about it and you had been here for such a short time and had so few friends, apparently. That's called putting two and two together. Obviously, I was mistaken.

So, Mastermind, if you aren't the hacker : 

I apologize! Smile

Good, now I can get back to my Pokémon collecting!

10:50 PM Feb 02 2009 |