Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

what's the meaning of this long sentence?

kittymagic

China

This sentence following is from “why don’t we complain?” by Willian F. Buckely.It’s so long and complicated and hard to understand it for me.Please help me!

“It isn’t just the commuters, whom we have come to visualize as a supine breed who have got on to the trick of suspending their sensory faculties twice a day while they submit to the creeping dissolution of the railroad industry.”

07:27 AM Oct 13 2004 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

billjacot

billjacot

United States

This sentence would be difficult for most people to comprehend. Buckley is noted for his colorful language, and he often speaks the same way he writes. I’m not even sure if he is still living, but maybe so.He’s quite an interesting character.

This sentence refers to people whom ride the train to work and then back home each day in America.They are called “Commuters”. Supine breed refers to a group of people who are lazy, sluggish, or someone who spends alot of time lying in bed. He is talking about them riding back andforth to work every day, relaxing,maybe even reclining in their seats, and thinking about nothing of importance. (suspending their senses)They aren’t even concerned that the railroad industry is on the decline and someday soon may no longer be in existence.

That’s the best explanation I can give you.If that isn’t clear, let me know.

08:17 PM Oct 13 2004 |

kittymagic

China

Billjacot,thank you for your explanation of this sentence.I know what the author want to say in this sentence now,but I am still confused about the ”... got on to the trick of …” .

09:48 AM Oct 14 2004 |

billjacot

billjacot

United States

It’sjust another way of saying that they have learned how to successfully do something new which in this case seems to be a benefit to them.

11:34 AM Oct 14 2004 |

kittymagic

China

I got it,thank you for your help!

12:53 AM Oct 15 2004 |