Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

meaning of a word -godspeed-

vahanm

vahanm

United States

I want to know what is the meaning of this word
Godspeed
thanks

09:31 PM May 04 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

cougarcar1

Viet Nam

i hope this helps
Noun
Godspeed
An expression of respect and good will when addressing someone, typically someone about to go on a journey or a daring endeavor.
The word Godspeed is used to wish a person good fortune or success, as on starting a journey, a new business, etc. It is usually found in expressions of the sort “to bid (a person) Godspeed.”
A few examples: “Evangelist, after he had kissed him, gave him one smile, and bid him God-speed. So he went on with haste…” (John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress); ”’I’m wishing you God-speed, Hattersley,’ cried Arthur, ‘and aiding you with my prayers’” (Anne Brontë Tenant of Wildfell Hall); “Rowland at the garden gate was giving his hostess Godspeed on her way to church” (Henry James, Roderick Hudson); “Eight years before he had seen his friend off at the North Wall and wished him God-speed” (James Joyce, Dubliners).
Godspeed is a nominalization of the phrase God speed (you), understanding which depends on two things: speed in this sense means ‘to prosper; succeed’, which is now archaic, but which is the original sense of the word; and the verb is subjunctive, expressing a wish, with the entire phrase meaning “may God cause you to succeed.” Semantic parallels are such common expressions as God bless you or God forbid!; another nominalization is goddamn (as in “I don’t give a good goddamn what you think”), shortened from “God damn you”.
The word Godspeed (which can also be written God-speed) is from Middle English, first found in personal names in the thirteenth century.
Retrieved from “http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Godspeed”

10:01 AM May 05 2006 |

cougarcar1

Viet Nam

meaning of a word godspeed 05:01 AM May 05 2006
I hope this helps
Noun
Godspeed
An expression of respect and good will when addressing someone, typically someone about to go on a journey or a daring endeavor.
The word Godspeed is used to wish a person good fortune or success, as on starting a journey, a new business, etc. It is usually found in expressions of the sort “to bid (a person) Godspeed.”
A few examples: “Evangelist, after he had kissed him, gave him one smile, and bid him God-speed. So he went on with haste…” (John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress); ”’I’m wishing you God-speed, Hattersley,’ cried Arthur, ‘and aiding you with my prayers’” (Anne Brontë Tenant of Wildfell Hall); “Rowland at the garden gate was giving his hostess Godspeed on her way to church” (Henry James, Roderick Hudson); “Eight years before he had seen his friend off at the North Wall and wished him God-speed” (James Joyce, Dubliners).
Godspeed is a nominalization of the phrase God speed (you), understanding which depends on two things: speed in this sense means ‘to prosper; succeed’, which is now archaic, but which is the original sense of the word; and the verb is subjunctive, expressing a wish, with the entire phrase meaning “may God cause you to succeed.” Semantic parallels are such common expressions as God bless you or God forbid!; another nominalization is goddamn (as in “I don’t give a good goddamn what you think”), shortened from “God damn you”.
The word Godspeed (which can also be written God-speed) is from Middle English, first found in personal names in the thirteenth century.
Retrieved from “http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Godspeed”

10:03 AM May 05 2006 |

vahanm

vahanm

United States

thanks so much for the meaning
Actually I saw in a spiderman movie when Goblin wanted to kill spiderman he said “godspeed spiderman”
so I think after your explanation it’s
the second meaning “God damn you” or “Good bye spiderman”
thanks
Vahan

07:25 AM May 06 2006 |