Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Break Up in the House

Break Up in the House

Date: Aug 26 2008

Themes: Pop Culture, Romance

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When you fall in love, you want to spend every moment with your new partner. You’re always over at each other’s houses anyway, so you figure, “Why not move in together?” It’ll save money and you’ll get to be together even more.

But what if the relationship doesn’t work out? When you break up, usually the last person you want to see for a while is your ex. But unless you happen to break up on exactly the day that your lease is up, you’re stuck living with the person who just broke your heart for a while.

One of Marni’s friends is living with her ex-boyfriend, and as she begins to tell Devan about it, she discovers that Devan has done that twice. What a headache!

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Marni:  I was just hanging out with my good friend Sarah, and she broke up with her boyfriend about two months ago and they’re still living together.

Devan:  Yeah, I’ve done that a couple of times actually. It’s horrible.

Marni:  It’s the worst!

Devan:  The first time I did that was because I felt…I broke up with him and felt guilty.

Marni:  OK, so the guilt like…you let him stay there?

Devan:  Yeah, he was like, “Can you live with me till I find another place to live…?” and I just felt guilty.

Marni:  Oh gosh.

Devan:  But how awkward is that, still living with someone you’re not with anymore?

Marni:  Well, OK, so how big was your place? Like she’s in a one-bedroom apartment.

Devan:  That’s what that was.

Marni:  Oh my God. So they’re, like, taking shifts on the couch, somebody’s sleeping in the room. It’s not good.

Devan:  It’s not good. It just prolongs the breakup and makes it a lot harder to do. Relationships are like a Band-Aid. You should just rip it off.

Marni:  Exactly, and you need a clean break. You need some space and distance, and when you’re still in the same tiny space and you’re constantly dealing with that person even though you’re trying to move on, it just doesn’t work.

Devan:  Have you ever known anyone that met someone else while they were still living with their ex-boyfriend?

Marni:  Yes, and that doesn’t work either because then there’s a lot of “that person’s not allowed in the house,” there’s some jealousy, some resentment.

Devan:  It’s kind of weird to think about because you don’t want to plan in advance to break up with somebody because that’s kind of messed up, but at the same time, if you just break up but then you still have to live together for a while, it’s not good. That’s why you shouldn’t really live with someone until you’re ready.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni’s friend Sarah just broke up with her boyfriend, but they are still living together. Devan has had to live with someone she just broke up with twice and agrees with Marni that it’s not good. You need to be away from your ex for a while after you break up if you’re ever going to be friends. Devan compares breaking up to removing a Band-Aid, which hurts more if you do it slowly.

Like Marni’s friend, Devan lived with her ex-boyfriend in a one-bedroom apartment. An apartment that size suddenly seems really small when you don’t want to sleep next to the other person who lives there! It sounds like Devan will be more careful before she moves in with a boyfriend again.

Have you ever lived with a boyfriend or girlfriend? How did it go?

Comments

AlineB¨

AlineB¨

Brazil

Living with friends is the best thing you cand do. Its so much hard for you to break up with your friend than to break up with your boyfriend. Thats a fact.

We should never live together until the wedding because before you tie the knot you need to live your own life and know yourself as much as you can.

01:59 PM Oct 24 2010 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

yeah, until you're ready…. but sometimes you fall head over heels for someone and really feel like you're 'ready' :-)

09:13 PM Nov 29 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

ha! sounds familiar

09:09 PM Nov 29 2008 |

flymind

China

you should think twice before you decide to move togather , you can ask yourself a question : will I marry him(her) someyears later ? If you are not sure about the answer ,please don't move together.

02:27 PM Nov 28 2008 |

FloraFay

China

I am singal so far.But  when I met such thing ,Friends,Music will help me I think.

10:42 AM Nov 28 2008 |

rayson

rayson

China

i lived with my  girlfirend now. i think it's true that it may save lots of money and the relates is going near little by little. so i blieve it's amazing. but when you break up ,the best way is just not live together.Smile

07:19 AM Nov 28 2008 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

It's very good when youCool lives in own flat, that's no problem who move out

07:57 PM Nov 23 2008 |

Bazlur Rahaman

Bangladesh

Why not move in together?”
now i think they are too bad. i don't like it

09:51 AM Nov 20 2008 |

webmsj

China

Now, I am married. I know love need objects, plans and actions. Fellowing your feeling is a bad idea.  

02:17 PM Nov 19 2008 |

Joyln

Tanzania, United Republic Of

i believe in workhard so that can get a better life.

08:32 PM Nov 18 2008 |

celina222

China

It is awkward to live with ex when the passion and love no long exists.

I thought girls should be more careful before making decision to live with somone.

In love is something. Be in relationship is another thing in my personal perspective…

05:24 AM Nov 17 2008 |

celina222

China

It is really awkward to live with some ex

05:20 AM Nov 17 2008 |

miss vip

Bahrain

memo

12:50 PM Nov 15 2008 |

jackieqing

China

why they were break up, but still living together, is not make sense, just find a place then break up, maybe this will be better.

06:27 AM Nov 15 2008 |

vincent39815

China

no expirence,can't expect the result

04:15 AM Nov 15 2008 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

When a relationship finishes,each one must go to their side…each one must have his space ;)

12:00 AM Nov 15 2008 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I have never lived a relationship like that and I could not! Laughing

11:53 PM Nov 14 2008 |

1 person likes this

aragon731

aragon731

China

wonderful

06:41 PM Nov 14 2008 |