Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Metallica

Metallica

Date: Jan 26 2009

Themes: Alternative, Music

Grammar: Adverbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s hard to believe that Metallica has already been around for 27 years. In that time, they’ve released 11 albums, 43 singles, and 22 music videos. They’ve had band members die, quit, and get replaced. And they’ve transformed from a relatively unknown, underground metal band into one of the most influential and highest-selling artists of their time.

Now Metallica has a new album out called Death Magnetic. Marni has been a huge fan of the band for years, and she just bought the new album. Listen to her tell Beren what she thinks of it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Beren

Beren

Marni:  So you know what I was rockin’ on my way over here?

Beren:  Uh…what?

Marni:  The new Metallica!

Beren:  Oh my god, is it good?

Marni:  Yes, it is. I actually really like it.

Beren:  Whoa.

Marni:  Yeah. I think, because, Rick Rubin, I think he was dead on, he was right. He made them record it all live.

Beren:  That should work for them, ‘cause isn’t that the problem people had with the last album, St. Anger? Like they did it piece-by-piece in Pro-Tools, and it just sounded ridiculous, like everything’s super compressed?

Marni:  Well, and just overly produced. I think he just wanted to take them back to their roots, and, “This is what makes you guys great. It was all about the chemistry, and this is what people want from you.”

Beren:  Oh, I’ll have to get it. I totally have been listening to Ride the Lightning and Kill ‘Em All on a regular basis, I’d say. Those albums are so good. But right around…After Load came out, I kind of lost interest.

Marni:  Yeah, the early stuff is definitely the great stuff. And you can tell, I always think it’s interesting that you can tell that they got a little older. They slowed down a little bit. But…yeah, that was my first concert.

Beren:  Metallica?

Marni:  Yes. And my head was so sore, my neck was just killing me the next day from head-banging.

Beren:  Oh my God, your parents let you go?

Marni:  Yeah, it was awesome. I actually went to see the opening band. I was really into the opening band. The Cult. Not so great.

Beren:  Oh, it wasn’t a good show?

Marni:  They weren’t. They weren’t that good. And Metallica blew me away. And I’ve been a fan ever since.

Beren:  Whoa.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adverbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni just got the new Metallica album, Death Magnetic. She thinks it’s a really great album. She tells Beren that the producer of the album made the band record all the songs live, which means they played all the parts at once instead of one at a time. It created a more raw, authentic sound than some of Metallica’s other recent albums.

Beren is excited to hear Marni’s good review. Although Beren loves some of the older Metallica albums, she hasn’t been a big fan of the more recent material. The new album sounds more like the early Metallica, even though the musicians are a lot older now.

It turns out that Metallica was the first band Marni saw in concert. What was the first band you saw in concert?

Comments

Ramses98

Ramses98

Germany

My first concert was “Running wild” a german metal band. Metallice I saw three times and every concert was really great. Live they´re such a…kicking! I liked it a lot!

02:56 AM May 03 2017 |

HOMELAND

HOMELAND

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i think it is not a good group ,Satanism !!

11:32 PM Jul 02 2013 |

Defang

Defang

France

I saw them once 2 years ago and it was excellent! I like this band and their last album is really nice, I was afraid after the St Anger’s releasing but Death Magnetic is definitely a good album.

Otherwise to answers the question my first “real” show was Brides Of Destruction at Graspop Metal Meeting (Belgian festival)

05:07 PM Jan 30 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Eder_lima, I used to listen Metallica a lot in the past too. I love their songs still as well, though I don’t listen them often nowadays. 

My respect and devotion to Rammstein :) I regret so much, that I was not able to be at the concert of Rammstein a year ago, because all tickets were sold     :((( I know there was super show with fire and super sound. I hope you will visit my city again and I will hear you at long last. 

07:51 AM Jan 30 2012 |

Eder_lima

Brazil

I used to listen Metallica a lot in the past but I still love their song.

04:54 PM Jan 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

ciccleo

ciccleo

Brazil

The first band I saw in a concert was Pitty, a brazilian rock band. Its similar to Evenescence, but the songs are heavier and talks about society's problems and love. I really loved.

02:58 AM May 23 2010 |

snmudallal

snmudallal

France

pink floyd

09:32 PM Feb 14 2010 |

asma bey

asma bey

Tunisia

it ok not very very bad!!!!!!

01:51 PM Jan 23 2010 |

303Kevin

303Kevin

China

thanks for the topics..i did't know Metallica before..great new songs for me to listen to..i believe…

12:11 PM Oct 22 2009 |

mxiixm

mxiixm

Viet Nam

... and nothing else matters!

03:31 AM Sep 14 2009 |

Juancito Cuhara

Venezuela

NEVER CARE FOR WHAT THEY SAY!!!!!!

I really never get tired to touch that song.

08:45 PM Sep 13 2009 |

Nyuu

Nyuu

France

Oasis was the first band i saw in live, it was 3 years ago .. unforgivable! thanks for this lesson about this great band!

10:37 AM Aug 24 2009 |

mxiixm

mxiixm

Viet Nam

Metallica rocks it all!

03:29 AM Aug 16 2009 |

Andrea Soro

Italy

Metallica rules!!!!

12:53 PM Mar 08 2009 |

CUCF

Mexico

Loyal to Metallica, forever? Wow! I bet that you have had a lot of experiences with them, dont u?

11:03 PM Feb 05 2009 |

CUCF

Mexico

Asshole is a bad word, is like stupid, but really stronger and offensive. ASSHOLE!

11:02 PM Feb 05 2009 |

elpequeno

elpequeno

Tunisia

MEtallica the best band EvER…..they keep rockin' despite their old

04:21 PM Feb 01 2009 |

mystylish

mystylish

Viet Nam

sorry,What does ' ashhole' mean ?

02:42 PM Feb 01 2009 |

Lilia771

Lilia771

Slovakia

Metallica – kings of metal:) good job as usually:)

12:40 PM Jan 31 2009 |

Daisy.xx.w

Daisy.xx.w

China

metallica i like~

02:41 AM Jan 31 2009 |

Likes (31):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace