Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Burning CDs

Burning CDs

Date: Aug 14 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

We all do it. We get a CD that we love and we burn a CD for our friends. Or, we hear a CD that we want, and we ask a friend to burn it for us. It’s definitely cheaper than buying new CDs.

But some people say if you’re burning, you’re stealing. Especially if you’re selling those CDs. That’s called piracy.
Listen to Logan and Mason chat about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Logan

Logan

Mason

Mason

Logan:  I got this new CD, the Tom Petty CD.

Mason:  Oh yeah?

Logan:  And I don’t know if I feel guilty or not burning it and handing it to my friends and I’ve already done it four times

Mason:  Well I mean like, were they gonna buy it anyway, do they like Tom Petty, or are you trying to get them into it?

Logan:  Well, they probably would if I wouldn’t have given it to them. I usually, you know, I don’t… You can say it’s ripping off of the artist, but I say I buy it for $15. I record it, that’s… I mean, prices are so high now that giving it to someone….

Mason:  It is. It’s so expensive. It’s hard to say, like, with piracy and with you know, normal things. I mean when there were tapes, you know, you could make a tape copy of anything for your friends and no, there were no legal repercussions, there was—nobody was up in an uproar. Somehow, entering into this digital age, to me it seems like less of a problem to make an actual CD than it is just to have the MP3s online and all that and like, anybody can take it and it’s not a person-to person thing anymore, it’s totally anonymous. That’s where the real problem is.

Logan:  Yeah, I also think it’s the whole lack of respect towards the artist. Like, if you, if you’re gonna listen to their CDs, why not support ‘em?

Mason:  Yeah. I mean, I listen to a lot of local music and I mean, the only time I would ever put… like, I’ll make my friends mix CDs you know with like one song of these guys just so I can try and get ‘em into it, but I would never just, like… I always tell ‘em to go buy it ‘cause… they’re not the The Man.

Logan:  Absolutely.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Do you buy new CDs? Do you burn CDs? Do you feel guilty about it? Do you buy pirated CDs? Do you think it should be illegal?

If you were making a mix CD, what songs would you include?

Comments

poyangcjd

poyangcjd

China

good

05:08 AM Dec 25 2007 |

oh_sexygirl

Thailand

Burning CDs? In my view, it doesnt mean that we lack of respect toward the artists…some of them become popular becoz of lots of people listen to their songs and they are available, right??

01:50 AM Aug 16 2006 |

KOMOO

KOMOO

Taiwan

If I really like one artist, I’ll buy his/her CDs.

03:59 AM Aug 14 2006 |

emai

emai

Philippines

What should I do? I’ve got everything on my pc. Whatever you call it, stealing or making piracy… it’s my choice. Anyway, i’ve done it for my personal use only. Blame it on the digital age!

01:09 AM Aug 14 2006 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast