Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

World Trade Center

World Trade Center

Date: Aug 16 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

World Trade Center opened in theaters across the US last week. The movie is based on the true story of two New York City police officers who survived being trapped under the rubble. The police officers are played by Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena. Director Oliver Stone focused on the inspirational message of their story, rather than on the politics.

This is the second Hollywood movie about the events of 9/11. United 93 focused on the plane that crashed into a field. It is believed that this plane was headed for the Pentagon.

Listen to Mason and Emily discuss these types of Hollywood movies.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Emily

Emily

Mason:  Uh, I just read a review that my friend wrote of the new World Trade Center movie.

Emily:  Uh-huh.

Mason:  And, like, he had a pretty mixed opinion of it. I mean, he said really it was treated very sensitively and tactful, uh, but, kind of, ultimately, he thought it was kinda too soon still.

Emily:  That’s what I was going to ask you.

Mason:  Yeah.

Emily:  Um, yeah, I mean, I know it, it, it’s a really inspirational story, and, uh, but very controversial, you know. It’s…I’m kinda torn between those two, those two feelings. It’s, you know, inspirational and the story should be told, but there’s so much controversy surrounding it and it was…it, it just… it was so recent, it feels like, that maybe it’s just a little bit too much.

Mason:  Well, just… What I end up feeling with it is, like, does Hollywood need to make a movie about everything? Like, are some things sacred? Are some things, you don’t need to… you don’t, you don’t need to turn it into a blockbuster.

Emily:  I agree, but then at the same time I think about, like, really amazing documentaries and some other movies where… like Pearl Harbor. I mean, you know, it was a big blockbuster and it really… it really gave you a sense of what went on, um, during that war and it, you know, it did… it kinda made it seem a little different in my eyes.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

World Trade Center and Pearl Harbor are movies based on history. These movies, and others like Schindler’s List, can be difficult to watch because they show so much human suffering. But they can also educate viewers about historical events, or show a different perspective on an event. What events in your own country have been the focus of movies? World War II? The war in Viet Nam? Do you like these types of movies?

Some Americans say it’s too soon for movies about 9/11. How much time should pass before such events can be become the topics for books and movies?

Comments

Josh K

Josh K

Guatemala

life must go continued

06:16 PM May 13 2007 |

KOMOO

KOMOO

Taiwan

Maybe the movie is based on the true story, but it’s not the truth. When you change a position, you have a different viewpoint.

03:28 AM Aug 16 2006 |

oh_sexygirl

Thailand

We can study history from movies!! Believe me..it’s fun!!!

01:13 AM Aug 16 2006 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast