Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Bruno

Bruno

Date: Sep 23 2009

Themes: Fashion

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sacha Baron Cohen’s humor walks the line between hilarious and offensive. In his last movie, Borat, Cohen played a racist, sexist, and homophobic Kazakh journalist. The film drew angry protests from a number of different groups, including the Kazakh government. Yet in spite of all the controversy, the film was nominated for numerous awards including a Golden Globe Award and an Oscar.

Now Cohen is back with a new character who, like Borat, is both hilarious and controversial. Bruno is a flamboyantly gay Austrian fashion reporter. In the film, he interviews real people who have no idea what’s in store for them. Find out what Devan and Ella think about Bruno’s crazy hijinks.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Ella

Ella

Devan:  So, I just got back from seeing Bruno.

Ella:  How was it? I am really hyped about that movie.

Devan:  Don’t take your parents with you. But as long as you go with some friends, it was great. I liked it. I thought it was hilarious.

Ella:  So same style like Borat, or how would you describe it?

Devan:  Yeah, it’s similar to Borat, where it plays on stereotypes. And he’s playing a lot of practical jokes on people who aren’t realizing what’s going on. But this time the stereotype is like he’s a super flamboyant, gay TV reporter for a fashion channel. And he just…you know, it just goes from there, from him getting fired from that job and then coming to America, trying to become a movie star.

Ella:  I heard that there’s lots of nudity. Is it in poor taste?

Devan:  That’s all relative. A lot of people would say it’s in poor taste but I personally found it to be really witty and smart humor.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan just saw Bruno and Ella is excited to see it. Devan says that it’s not a good movie to see with your parents, because it might be embarrassing or uncomfortable. There’s a lot of nudity in the film and some people might think it’s in poor taste. But Devan thinks it’s really funny.

The style of Bruno is similar to Borat. Sacha Baron Cohen interviews real people as the character Bruno. The people he interviews don’t know that a practical joke is being played on them, and they often end up looking foolish.

Have you ever played a practical joke on anyone? Do you think Sacha Baron Cohen is funny or offensive?

Comments

mahsa000

mahsa000

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hi ,like

09:06 AM Dec 19 2014 |

bredjet

bredjet

Saudi Arabia

this movie is so funny

09:44 AM Sep 28 2009 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I think Sasha Baron Cohen is just making money as he is able to do it. As long as so many people have watched his last masterpiece I guess he is quite successful. As of my opinion about the movie I don't think it's a trash or something but I just didn't find it  interesting. An hour of time i won't ever get back.

08:12 AM Sep 28 2009 |

sgtbreitner

Brazil

Weel, I watched this movie and i liked it. It´s pretty funny!

11:54 PM Sep 27 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Brazil is a land of jokes! hehehe There are some tv programs that show it every week :P for instance,we have a tv program called "Panico" (like Panic in engish) and there is a group of reporters that intervews famous people and actors and sometimes they make some offensive jokes,but pretty funny and sometimes people fight back with irony and indifference…This program is very useless,but pretty funny :P

02:01 PM Sep 26 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

I cant say anything about his movies because i have never seen any. I do played some pratical jokes, but just with closer people i know. after they always realized it was just for fun. They know i dont mind if they play a joke on me. 

11:16 PM Sep 25 2009 |

BOno

BOno

Kuwait

i saw it>this film is so funny_

09:25 AM Sep 25 2009 |

Tamarow

Tamarow

Ukraine

I adore Sacha Baron Cohen and his films, he's so attractive gaybyKiss When it comes to his sense of humour, it's shocking and flamboyant at the same time, it's fresh, so it's worth watching!!!!!!

06:30 AM Sep 25 2009 |

omegatrack

omegatrack

Mexico

To me that humor doesn´t walk the line. I think it´s in a very poor taste

05:50 PM Sep 24 2009 |

_Tania_

_Tania_

Ukraine

Bruno was banned in Ukraine to demonstration))

10:59 AM Sep 24 2009 |

Shinichi Lover

Bahrain

I heard about the movie ,but I don't want to see it ,

03:41 AM Sep 24 2009 |

THX_wallace

Brazil

i like that… and i belive the humor can say anything to anyone, is just to make people laught

11:14 PM Sep 23 2009 |

Cool English Teacher

Brazil

I can't deny I like Brüno. Sacha Cohen sure is a polemical comediant but it doesn't keep me from admiring his work. Kiss Love Da Ali G and BrünoLaughing

08:20 PM Sep 23 2009 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

first of all i dont like this kind of humor , i rather mexican hijinks , like facundo , come on , he makes good hikinks over the mexican country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LN8ZLMhOE&feature=related

saludos

04:51 PM Sep 23 2009 |

Yasminne_15

Venezuela

Ewww.. I hate him.. Bruno is not nice..

04:48 PM Sep 23 2009 |

max1983

max1983

Germany

the film is sickFrown. I don't like such this kind of movies. 

03:23 PM Sep 23 2009 |

Aus_LT

Aus_LT

Lithuania

i didn't like the film.

it was discousting. puke.

02:51 PM Sep 23 2009 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I didn't get the point, really. Which guy is garbage and what articles are you talking about?

02:42 PM Sep 23 2009 |

cindy90341

cindy90341

Taiwan

It seems interesting.I want to see it.Laughing

01:04 PM Sep 23 2009 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace