Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Eating Out

Eating Out

Date: Sep 18 2009

Themes: Food

Grammar: Simple Present Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Who doesn’t like a nice restaurant? Whenever someone comes to visit or you go someplace new, you always go out to eat. But eating out isn’t only for special occasions. Sometimes it’s fun to just grab a bite with your friends at someplace low key.

Jason has been eating out pretty regularly lately. Listen to him and Devan talk about how it could be too much of a good thing.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Devan

Devan

Jason:  So my roommate keeps leaving the kitchen really messy so I find myself eating out like constantly. It’s pretty sweet to just splurge like that, but I feel like the specialness of going out to eat is kind of wearing off.

Devan:  Yeah. Make sure you tip though. And that can really add up.

Jason:  Yeah. That’s part of the problem is it always ends up costing more than I think it’s going to.

Devan:  Yeah. Sometimes you just want to go to a cafeteria-style place, but people think that in those smaller places you don’t have to tip, but as someone who works at a place like that, it’s always nice because we live off our tips too.

Jason:  Totally. Do you think it’s a good use of money though to go out to a nice dinner somewhere?

Devan:  I think that’s the kind of thing you can treat yourself to once in a while, but yeah.

Jason:  You know when you’re just like eating out left and right and suddenly it’s like less of a special thing to go to someplace where you have to make a reservation and do a proper night out?

Devan:  You should just stay home.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Present Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason hasn’t been able to cook at home much lately, so he’s been eating out a lot. It’s nice to eat out, but it loses its appeal if you do it too often.

Devan thinks that it’s best to get a really nice meal from time to time, and that Jason should eat at home more often. Do you like to eat out? What’s the fanciest meal you’ve ever had?

Comments

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

i prefer eating at home

03:03 PM Jul 08 2013 |

anamusic

anamusic

Chile

I used to eat out very often while living in Chicago but now that I moved back to Chile, I do it just once a week…it’s too expensive!

09:59 PM Mar 10 2012 |

manik athawale

India

I’m very much like only house made food because that food so neat and clean that why I like house made food but some places out side food also not bad.

10:33 AM Mar 08 2012 |

Harsini

Harsini

Indonesia

for  every Friday night after Office hours, I often have dinner with my friends in the Shopping Mall,  because tomorrow on Saturday I am holiday

06:50 AM Feb 22 2012 |

jamal adem

Kenya

i always  eating out with my wife , and i don’t know cooking well .

06:34 AM Aug 17 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I like eating out in good company. In the US  from my personal experience  going out to a fancy restaurant  is costly but no problem if you go dutch.  

07:17 PM Jun 11 2011 |

srinapa

Thailand

I always eating out with my mother.

02:51 AM Aug 19 2010 |

andregouea

Germany

I leaving alone, and I don't cooking well, so I often eat out.

05:34 AM May 06 2010 |

qinqiner715

Christmas Island

i like eating out,but i I prefer to with my family at home for dinnerSmile

04:16 PM Apr 23 2010 |

asix-ko

asix-ko

Ukraine

To be pleasant to me the house meal, and at the same time I like to spend time with my girl-friend and to observe of that as she eating or drinking. To fanciest meal with which I could eat, I would carry soup from stomachs in Poland.

11:54 AM Dec 06 2009 |

just a person

United Arab Emirates

I prefer to eat at the food which made by one of my family`s memeber ;D

but its not a problem to have a meal out sometimes

07:51 PM Nov 15 2009 |

DaeNg

DaeNg

Thailand

SmileEating out, sometime i with my friend go to have our dinner and lunchSmile

06:48 AM Oct 20 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I love eating out…I consider myself a simple and sofisticated person,at the same time hehe For instance,I really like eating fast foods,kind hot dog of street and also eating in a good restaurant and if possible with a good company ;)

Humm I don't like much "different meals"...I really like basic meals kind meat,fish,pastas,rice and bean and others for example japanese food,chinese food,some arabic foods…

11:49 PM Sep 24 2009 |

shirlita

Ecuador

i like to eat at home is more relax for me but every weekend i go to eat out and is fun because u have not to clean the dish ans is good lol

10:59 PM Sep 24 2009 |

marcular

marcular

China

I prefer cooking myself.

01:04 PM Sep 24 2009 |

santaello

santaello

Spain

when i go out more often than usual, it add up

10:01 PM Sep 23 2009 |

chief_wang

chief_wang

China

EATING OUT is very helpful to advance learners.

09:36 PM Sep 23 2009 |

chief_wang

chief_wang

China

This is the best lesson you could listen recently.Cool

09:34 PM Sep 23 2009 |

cooliy

cooliy

China

so soon

08:59 AM Sep 23 2009 |

izac

izac

South Korea

I know many restaurants that are very nice and cheap. Therefore, I always wanna go out to eat with my friends or coworkers.

02:37 AM Sep 22 2009 |

Likes (30):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast