Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

She's Their Rock

She's Their Rock English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Dec 15 2009

Themes: Friend, Soap Opera

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Is there someone you know will give you good advice if you just don’t know what to do? If you’re freaking out about something and just need someone to calm you down and help you see things clearly, the person you end up calling is your rock. Your rock could be someone in your family, your boyfriend or girlfriend, or one of your friends.

Beren has a history of giving good advice. So even though she’s busy looking for her real dad on a road trip, her friends still call her to get her opinion on their troubles. See how Beren helps them out.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Beren

Beren

Devan

Devan

Mason

Mason

Jason:  Beren. Hey, it’s Jason. How’s your trip?

Beren:  Um, it’s goin’ fairly well. You know, it’s OK.

Jason:  Well, I’m really glad I got a hold of you. ‘Cause I am having this issue and I really think you’re the only person who could offer the right perspective.

Beren:  Ah, sure. Go ahead. Shoot.

Jason:  Devan has totally transformed. I mean, what do you think? How can we get the old Devan back?

Beren:  Well, I guess…I don’t know. You know how she has, like, a sweet tooth and a taste for the booze. I would just get her coffee, you know, slip a little whiskey in there.

Jason:  Thanks Beren. I’ll give it a try.

Beren:  Bye. Hello.

Devan:  Hey, Beren. How’s it goin’?

Beren:  It’s goin’ pretty…

Devan:  Yeah, actually I don’t really have time to hear about it right now ‘cause I was calling you about a specific reason. Um, yeah. So, I want to sue Marni...

Beren:  Wait.

Devan:  …because she gave me the idea for American Dream Date and then stole it from me.

Beren:  No. What? No. Don’t sue her.

Devan:  Why?

Beren:  I thought you guys were, like, best friends.

Devan:  Was. Past tense. We’re not friends anymore. She’s a competitor and she stole from me and I want it back!

Beren:  Just tell her that your feelings are hurt. Why don’t you guys go out to eat and work it out? Don’t sue her. That’s an awful idea.

Devan:  Leave it to you to try to take the noble way out of this situation, but I don’t have time to hear some sad story about poor Marni. I gotta go.

Beren:  Bye. Hello.

Mason:  Hey, Beren! Beren, yeah, how you doin’?

Beren:  Hey, Mason. What’s up?

Mason:  So, uh, and this is a little embarrassing…But, ah, I have this problem with tomatoes.

Beren:  Wait, wait, wait. Say it again.

Mason:  I’m kinda freaked out by them. I mean, ever since, you know, that movie “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes”? What am I gonna do?

Beren:  You need help. Like, serious help.

Mason:  But that’s what…You were the professional help is what…I heard your advice was almost professional, but free.

Beren:  No, no. I am not professional help. In fact, after all these phone calls I need some professional help. You need some help. We’ll get help together, but I have no idea what to tell you.

Mason:  OK.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Beren is just driving past Mt. Rushmore, a famous American monument, when Jason calls. He says Devan hasn’t been herself lately. Beren suggests that Jason make sure she gets enough of the things she likes like sugar and alcohol. He agrees those things might put her in a better mood.

As soon as Beren gets off the phone with Jason, Devan calls. She tells Beren she’s thinking about suing Marni. Beren thinks that’s ridiculous. They’re friends, they should just talk and get over their problems. That’s not what Devan wanted to hear, so she gets off the phone.

Then Beren gets another phone call. This time it’s Mason. He says he’s afraid of tomatoes. Beren says that even though everyone comes to her for advice, she can’t help Mason with a problem like that. He needs to see a professional.

Who you do you ask for advice when you have a problem you just can’t figure out?

Comments

DarknessLight

Germany

I mostly  seek advice from my mom…about anything related to my life or situations I can’t discuss with my friends. But if it’s something about me and my friends or related to our studies I just seek their help.

05:43 PM Oct 21 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Its good to have a friend to count on , but people should be able to stand on their own feet, and make their own decisions  .To much dependence is not good  .

06:48 PM Mar 08 2011 |

Adri_BR

Brazil

It's amazing to have someone you can fall back on whenever you're in trouble. however, everyone should try to solve their problems on their own, cause only they know what they're really going through. =)

01:47 AM Feb 08 2010 |

queenlia

queenlia

China

why all of them are dependent mined

we should be think independently and solve problem by ourselve.

03:33 PM Feb 07 2010 |

lonely snow

China

Aha,She is so busy,and  helpful!

07:56 AM Jan 05 2010 |

sukya

sukya

China

Beren rocks!

10:18 AM Jan 02 2010 |

lol80

lol80

Peru

wow! i think those guys are so crazy poor Beren! well the story was good and funny! jaja! greetings from Peru

03:47 PM Dec 26 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Hummm thanks for God I'm able to solve my own troubles! So I love Astrology! It was a form to understand my own issues ;) Today I'm able to realise the problems when it happens…If I can't understand it what is going on in the moment,sure after time I can ;)

10:53 AM Dec 24 2009 |

Cool English Teacher

Brazil

Poor Beren… With friends like that I'd be crazy alreadyLaughing

05:16 PM Dec 23 2009 |

Kate777

Kate777

Ukraine

This video could be more better, if there will be some conclusion, like everybody solves their problem in the end…. or, at least one of them

01:31 PM Dec 22 2009 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I have a sweet tooth, I mean a strong liking for sweet foods. When I was younger that  shortcoming made  me feel bad. I needed professional help, like someone's opinion or the view of the situation from another perspective. I was lucky to get hold of a real shrink who helped me to overcome my problem. Now I feel fairly well, at least I am not freaked out each time I see a candy. I don't want to hurt feelings of those who like sweets, but I personaly beleive that sponge cakes and pastry and all kinds of sweets in general aren't sort of health food (anyway slip me one, please). In a word, let's get rid of booze and sugar to postpone another ruga. See, I'm a poet.

02:47 PM Dec 21 2009 |

Brown1985new

Brazil

Yeah, to be a rock for a person is a great honor, but, sometimes, we need of someone can be near to help us.

It's common the reaction in final with Mason. She got tired after to heard all trouble of her friends.

Rocks needs Rock too.

02:48 PM Dec 19 2009 |

Mr.oMaR2008

Saudi Arabia

Thank God i am not her 

i mean i like to help people but anot a lot of people 

and i hate competitive 

06:55 PM Dec 18 2009 |

iwori

iwori

Japan

The way I see that most people who ask one's rock to advice have almost made up their mind. They just want to boost up their thoughts and therefore they CHOOSE rocks who won't be against with their idea unconsciously.

This is one of a reason of "Be a Good Listener."

03:59 PM Dec 18 2009 |

shadows goldsmith

Syrian Arab Republic

I think she is a helpeful maybe !!!Laughing

09:52 PM Dec 17 2009 |

barth

barth

Mexico

WOW! I THINK THAT I'M AROCK FOR SOME FRIENDS 'CUZ WHEN SOEMONE OF MY FRIENDS HAS PROBLEMS THEY CALL ME, AND WOW I TRY TO LISTEN THEM, BUT IS GOOD BECASUE U NOTICED THTA U HAVE FRINEDS SEE YA!

08:45 PM Dec 17 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

So if its like a impossible problem i ask God. if its just a problem it depends, sometimes i ask my mom or my sister, or i ask my boyfriend or a closer friend. 

10:59 PM Dec 16 2009 |

kaviani_g_b

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

It's nice that some guys do not even have a second to hear about a one who always is their rock!!!  may be they believed it's a rock!?

08:24 PM Dec 16 2009 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

late Cry

saludos.

08:14 AM Dec 16 2009 |

ala4fadeel

Sudan

To be the rock for others, you should be a good listener. I feel lucky because I have many rocks in this life. 

05:37 AM Dec 16 2009 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast