Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Green Day

Green Day

Date: Feb 01 2010

Themes: Alternative, Music

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

For any child of the 90s, it’s hard to believe that Green Day has been around for more than twenty years. But it hasn’t always been smooth sailing for Billy Joe and his band mates. After helping punk rock go mainstream in the early 90s with their hugely successful album Dookie, Green Day’s follow-up efforts produced fewer hits and were considered less innovative. In the early aughts, the band’s star seemed to be fading.

But Green Day showed they still had it when their album American Idiot won a Grammy in 2005. Now the band is back again with 21st Century Breakdown, a concept album that combines Green Day’s punk roots with more of a classic rock influence. Find out what Marni and Jason think of Green Day’s latest.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  So you know what I did on New Year’s Eve?

Jason:  What?

Marni:  I watched Carson Daly’s “Rockin New Year’s Eve,” and I watched Green Day perform.

Jason:  Woah.

Marni:  Yeah, and I have to say, they still got it.

Jason:  Rockin’ into their third decade of punk.

Marni:  Yeah, exactly! I was thinking back to when I first heard them in the early 90s and how I never would’ve thought that in 2010 I’d still be listening to them. And yet here they are just as important and prolific.

Jason:  I think that was justifiable for you to think they wouldn’t be around forever. I mean, their songs were about being a slacker and just like hanging out.

Marni:  Yeah, just playing power chords...catchy, poppy punk. And it didn’t really seem like it had that much substance. But I think like a lot of good bands, they’ve sort of matured and found their voice. They were very outspoken about George Bush.

Jason:  Totally and, I mean, have you heard their new album 21st Century Breakdown?

Marni:  I have, and they played some songs off that. And the crowd was into it. I was into it. It’s good.

Jason:  It seems like in that album they’re kind of taking a step toward becoming a classic rock band.

Marni:  Absolutely, I feel the same way.

Jason:  Which is cool, because you sort of think of classic rock ending in the 80s or something, right? Like no more, sorry.

Marni:  Right, like that’s the cut off. But no, I think that Green Day are showing us that the classic rock…that it could be any genre of music.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni saw Green Day perform live on New Year’s Eve. She was impressed by the band and thinks that they’ve still got it.

Both Marni and Jason are surprised that Green Day is still a popular band. But the band’s musical style has evolved and matured, helping them stay current. Marni thinks they’ve figured out what they really want to say with their music, and how to say it.

When they first came out, Green Day was a punk band. But now their music has more of a classic rock sound. That’s just one way the band has grown over the years.

How have you changed in the last ten years? What do you think your life will be like ten more years from now?

Comments

angelina_kavallini

Russian Federation

It’s my favorite band!!!! I really like their songs =)

03:25 PM Sep 27 2012 |

Kaka87

United States

I think I’ll be a doctor or something like that. I hope so :)

08:31 AM Oct 23 2011 |

Mint Zhao

Mint Zhao

China

wow green day!

02:57 PM Aug 30 2010 |

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

I never heard about them at all loOl ..but semmes they got the rock , so i'll try to hear something from their best . 

07:58 AM Aug 17 2010 |

tournad_oussama

Algeria

the newer version of pop-rock , but i think that metallica the stronger ... 

11:36 AM May 23 2010 |

dilolala

dilolala

Turkey

I was a very big fan of Green Day when I was 13-14

04:41 AM May 09 2010 |

kpl

kpl

Taiwan

some time i feel that it seems to touch the cut off of learning , and hard to get follw-up, then i become a slacker. as this phenomenon happens i always go to do some it feels smooth sailing aught and watch some productive program on the tv for making fresh feeling back . then  keep doing the original thing will be power chord more .

03:23 PM May 05 2010 |

gmbrohi1

gmbrohi1

Pakistan

hi how r every body

07:15 AM Apr 02 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm this is a question the we used to do to ourselves…In the last ten year I have matured many things in myself…Points of view,stance and I'm more flexible…I hope to be better as person from here to ten years ;)

08:05 PM Mar 09 2010 |

liushiyu68

liushiyu68

China

Kiss like it 、

01:03 AM Feb 22 2010 |

EstebanM

EstebanM

Colombia

Actually, I  really like the last album, more than the first ones. Green Day is now a classic band of rock, far away of the punk lists, and I like it more, seriously.

02:23 PM Feb 20 2010 |

only_rock

only_rock

Azerbaijan

resondo; if you dont like GREEN DAY,dont write this page!!!!!

i think you a impolite! 

07:48 AM Feb 17 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i dont like green day !!!

01:57 AM Feb 16 2010 |

chomo

chomo

Taiwan

god i luv it:)

04:03 PM Feb 09 2010 |

LoverBoy

LoverBoy

United Arab Emirates

i love you guys .. you my favorite .

08:57 AM Feb 07 2010 |

Amissss

Amissss

United States

hahaha , it's my  favorite . cooooool

03:50 AM Feb 07 2010 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

In the last 10 years I've changed enormously. I used to be a child then and now I am a young woman. That's a complete makeover I think.

In ten years I see myself as an Actress /Singer/Runway Model/Astronaut/Photographer/Writer/DancerPreschool Teacher/Guidance Counselor/Assassin/Reality TV Star/Bus Driver.

I know it will be a lot of work but I'm up for the challenge!

01:06 PM Feb 05 2010 |

cherry1208

cherry1208

Taiwan

you are my favorite!! :D

10:35 AM Feb 05 2010 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

Man! I have watched 2010 grammy awards and the green day performed "21 guns" I so love Billie joe's voice. Green day is one of my favourite band in the hollywood, they are awesome! By the way, congrats for grabbing the best rock album title at the 2010 grammy awards, keep on rockin' guys!

10:05 AM Feb 05 2010 |

liebe21

South Korea

I've been to Green day concert twice. In Vancouver 2005 and just two weeks ago in Seoul. It's incredible.. When I watched their concert, I was like free of everything.

01:34 PM Feb 04 2010 |

Likes (31):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast