Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber

Date: May 03 2010

Themes: Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Justin Bieber is either the most talented or the luckiest sixteen-year-old on the planet. After the Canadian teen put home recordings of himself singing and playing the guitar on YouTube, a talent scout saw the videos and decided to make Justin a star. Soon Usher and Justin Timberlake were in a bidding war to sign Justin to a record deal. Usher won, and Justin’s first studio album, My World 2.0, debuted at number one on the pop charts.

Now wherever Justin plays, thousands of screaming girls show up. But is Justin Bieber fever just a passing craze, or is he really a talented musician with staying power? Find out what Jeff and Jason think.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jeff

Jeff

Jason

Jason

Jeff:  So am I the only one these days that is absolutely obsessed with Justin Bieber? That guy is a diamond in the rough.

Jason:  Well, you’re certainly not the only one who thinks he’s talented. I mean, he was just discovered from his YouTube video.

Jeff:  Well, let me tell ya, I think it’s pretty apparent through Youtube videos, his live performances, that he’s gonna be here to stay.

Jason:  You think so? Wow. Alright. I don’t know. I question if it’s just dumb luck, you know, that this producer who happened to see his video and then hooked him up with Usher, you know maybe was just in a good mood that day and then that’s how this kid ends up having this whole career. I don’t know if he has staying power.

Jeff:  I would say the songwriting on My World 2.0 alone is enough to carry this guy for years to come.

Jason:  Alright. It’s just tough to tell though, because when someone comes out of nowhere like this, you don’t really know how good they’re really gonna be over time. I feel like the more effective way for an artist to get discovered and get in the mainstream is just by, you know, working hard over time and then suddenly like, okay, this is your tenth album, now you’re going to have a hit, or whatever.

Jeff:  That’s true, that’s true…

Jason:  But if you can put in that ten years at the top, why not, right?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jeff thinks Justin Bieber is an amazing musician with true staying power. Like many teenage girls, Jeff has been obsessed with Bieber since seeing his home videos on YouTube. Jeff is really impressed by the young star’s songwriting abilities and live performances.

Jason is a bit more skeptical about Bieber. He thinks the sixteen-year-old might just be incredibly lucky. Justin became famous after a talent scout saw his videos on YouTube and hooked him up with Usher, who gave Justin a record deal.

Do you think Justin Bieber has staying power, or is he just a passing craze? What is the best way for an artist to get discovered these days?

Comments

Michelle1998

China

It’s 2017 now and i still like his song,it’ great!

01:52 PM Mar 26 2017 |

yeahlivia

yeahlivia

Brazil

it’s 2015 now and i’ll say: he’s here to stay.

12:05 AM Feb 16 2015 |

ChristinaMeow

Germany

He is annoying!

09:10 AM Jun 18 2013 |

kame_rain

kame_rain

Philippines

awesome voice..that’s all I know..

07:52 AM Jun 18 2013 |

Nafas75

Nafas75

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

not different to  me i never hate him and i never love him he’s not bad not good,i don’t know i think he’s just a singer:~

01:13 PM Jan 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

princessanika

yes dear Jessie i’m agree with u he is the worst in all the worls:(

01:44 PM Dec 21 2012 |

Vampire girl

Justin…....uhhhhhh

I hate him

he’s bad/annoying,terrible ,ugly and and and…...

I hate him

we are the same Anika

01:33 PM Dec 21 2012 |

yckelly

yckelly

China

I like his songs.His songs have magic power that can make people full of energy.

03:30 AM Dec 18 2012 |

1 person likes this

Dr.hedyeh

Dr.hedyeh

his songs are good but his charactor… . i dont think so…

10:09 AM Nov 19 2012 |

1 person likes this

Liana's Dream

United States

Kiss

oh my god wow i want shout i love Justin very much,he is very handsome and he has a very nice voiceLaughing

02:41 PM Nov 18 2012 |

princessanika

oh Justin Bieber?hahaha

so,tell me who love or like him?

he is awful,he is very very bad,the worset singer in all the world,he is bad,bad,bad,bad,bad

very very very very very very BAD.

so,i HATE HIM.Yell

03:20 PM Sep 18 2012 |

malak belibers

Saudi Arabia

hello everybodyLaughing

08:25 AM May 08 2012 |

KardelenF

KardelenF

Turkey

Forever love you Justin… You great!You very sweet and handsome.You great make up music.I love you JB

07:15 PM Oct 15 2011 |

green_lea

Viet Nam

no one deny that this guy is adorable, and his song are my great favorites.

love him !

01:08 PM Aug 13 2010 |

carlosblack

Brazil

for those who apreciate good music , he is just a pretty face,, nothing more than this!

03:33 PM Jun 30 2010 |

nelly_14

nelly_14

Spain

I like his music  :P

01:01 PM Jun 28 2010 |

LillyBell

LillyBell

Ukraine

I like him very much, ‘cuz he’s sweet and handsome. And his voice are so cool!!! <3

12:08 PM Jun 28 2010 |

emmajelly

emmajelly

Canada

wowi love him

02:38 AM Jun 22 2010 |

Peachsummer

China

i love JB!!!

12:28 PM Jun 05 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Hehe He is really talented but I don't wanna to talk bad things about this babe guy but their songs don't catch my attention :P and more,I guess he is one more those "beautiful face guy"that appear fast and disappear fast too :P

He really will make too success between teenage girls :P

09:06 PM Jun 02 2010 |

Likes (46):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: