简体
Favorite Relative
最喜爱的亲人

Phrasal Verbs

Date: Jun 14 2021

Themes: Family

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

We don’t choose our relatives. We’re just born with them, and we have to do our best to get along with them. In fact, we have to love them. They’re family.

Sometimes, that can be a challenge. We all have relatives who just don’t seem to have anything in common with us. But most of us also have at least one relative whom we love to be around and would want to hang out with even if we weren’t related. Hear Amy tell Marni about her favorite relative.

我们无法选择自己的亲人。我们与他们的关系与生俱来,我们必须竭尽所能与他们融洽相处。事实上,我们必须爱他们。他们是我们的家人。
有时候,这的确会成为一种挑战。我们每个人都有似乎与我们毫无共同点可言的亲人。但是,我们大多数人都至少会有那么一位亲人,我们愿意伴其左右,愿意与他或她一起做些什么,即使那些事情与我们毫不相干。请听艾米与玛尼的对话,了解她最喜爱的亲人。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Marni

Marni

Amy:  So you know I’m getting married this summer, right?

Marni:  Yes, I know.

Amy:  So, when you are planning a wedding, you end up having to get in touch with a lot of relatives who you really have very little in common with, and who you maybe haven’t even spoken to in years. But there is one relative that I’m really excited to see at my wedding.

Marni:  Oh yeah? Who’s that?

Amy:  My uncle Dale.

Marni:  Oh, that’s nice when you have a special relationship with somebody. Tell me about your uncle Dale.

Amy:  Well, we don’t really have a lot in common, but we’ve just always gotten along and I really look up to him. He’s a real outdoorsman and so he kind of exposed me to a lot of things that I never would have done if it weren’t for him, like shooting a bow and arrow and fishing and just like being out in the wild. And I, you know, I always appreciated that in a way more than someone else who I might have more in common with.

Marni:  Interesting. So you’re not exactly peas in a pod, but it sounds like you really look up to him.

Amy:  Yeah, he’s a cool guy. He taught me how to play poker and gave me one of my first beers, you know, so…

Marni:  Uncle Dale sounds pretty awesome.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy is planning her wedding. There are some relatives she has to invite to the wedding even though she isn’t very close to them. But there is one relative she can’t wait to see: her uncle Dale.

Amy tells Marni why her uncle is her favorite relative. When she was younger, he taught her a lot of things she didn’t know, like how to fish, play poker, and even how to drink beer. She looks up to her uncle and enjoys being with him, even though they don’t have a lot in common.

Who is your favorite relative? Can you describe him or her?

Comments

ray_ray55

ray_ray55

Thailand

i love them  ,,my relative Wink 

04:50 AM Apr 30 2012 |

NOman

NOman

Pakistan

My all relatives all equal in my sight
but i like specially my cousin sHEHBAZ!  i like him coz he introduce me with the fassion world.Before he comes in ma life i was a simple boy. i failed to impress anybody with whom i talked…..Then he taught me…
in beggining i faced a lot  of problms…..but day by day i i moves towards it… :-)

04:17 AM Apr 30 2012 |

1 person likes this

alzhbeta

alzhbeta

Belarus

I like all my relatives, because all of them teavh us some livinf things.

But the best of the best is my granny. I think i Wouldn’t meet anymore a person like she. She’s very strong, kindhearted, supporive, clever, calm, stubborn and hard-working. She is always my inspiration in doing smth. Her positive smile and laughter so catching that you can’t but laugh with her. I love her!!! 

02:31 PM Aug 11 2011 |

_noony_

Saudi Arabia

my wonderful brother

02:44 PM Jul 25 2011 |

1 person likes this

candy.face

candy.face

Syrian Arab Republic

mm i love all my relative yeah all of theme but i have my ante who is far away from us and i really do miss her alot :(

anyway this my first lesson here and i found it interesting..nice web page

keep up the good working :)

10:24 AM Jul 25 2011 |

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

I love my family so much ,I had a great uncle tht he passed away before few months :( I reallky miss his caring heart & his smile… he was a graet ,leading man  &great poker player ,his death was like a shock to all the family :(

09:06 AM Jul 25 2011 |

kacho

kacho

Mexico

definitely, my favorite relatives are my brother & sister. Unfortunately, my brother is far away from here, my sister too. and I, well i’m studying in a different city. so it’s very difficul to join us and spend a lot of time together like in the past.

However, every year has different holidays and christmas is an excellent opportunity to conctac us and see what was happening with our live. 

I mean. spending time with the family is the most beautiful memory i can remember from my childhood :) 

what do u think??? 

01:45 AM Jul 25 2011 |

whitelion87

Peru

Well my favorite relatives are my mother and my father! ;D

10:38 PM Jul 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

Amo0ol

Amo0ol

Saudi Arabia

Frown

10:23 PM Jul 24 2011 |

Lionheart

Uruguay

I dont have a favoritae relative, because my favorite relative was my grandfather and he live us a long time ago.

He was very funny and he always had made jokes to make smile me

10:00 PM Jul 24 2011 |

Lionheart

Uruguay

I dont have a favoritae relative, because my favorite relative was my grandfather and he live us a long time ago.

He was very funny and he always had made jokes to make smile me

09:59 PM Jul 24 2011 |

Amo0ol

Amo0ol

Saudi Arabia

my favorite relative is my mother i look up to her because she is very amazing person

god protect her for usLaughing

09:42 PM Jul 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

macedonian

macedonian

Turkey

People are the best liar in the world

08:04 PM Jul 24 2011 |

守护星

守护星

Switzerland

i can not choose my relatives, but i can choose to love them, because they are my family

04:25 PM Jul 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

Nickå

Nickå

Svalbard and Jan Mayen

I’ll have to say my dad. He’s not just my favourite relative, but my favourite person in the world. He has always made sure that I have someone to look up to and he’s always available when I need help, support, or just guidance. My dad is my best friend, my role-model, and my hero.

03:34 PM Jul 24 2011 |

oroba

oroba

Yemen

I look up to my mother .she is a good mother 

01:00 PM Jul 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

Amy.Aileen

China

I just can’t think of any relativies when it comes to that subject.What a tragedy!

09:31 AM Jul 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

Andy_WangYongFa

China

My favorite relative is my Dad.He supported my university,i remembered that he always call me that taught me how to calm down to learn koneledges .

After working,he also always call me that taught me how  to get along with my managers and workmates,and how to make the work best.

So ,in my life ,if no him ,i might have made so many mistakes now.

So,I am  appriciate him,and i love him.He is the most important relative in my family.

08:33 AM Jul 24 2011 |

Jenny sun

China

My favorite relative is my brother.He is younger than me,and he is so kind like a gentleman,he is always think me firstly whenever he meet anything good,for example,my mother bought two apples,he always choose the smaller one ,and leaving a bigger one for me ,and always like that,we are getting along with well,and i hope we can keep this close relationship forever.

07:45 AM Jul 24 2011 |

france wilmar

Philippines

i dont have any favorate relative..i approaching in equal way…

there are many kind of person….the only you can do is to teach your self on how to approach them in a nice way…....

06:34 AM Jul 24 2011 |

Likes (45):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast