Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

turning point

简体
turning point
转折点

Date: Nov 17 2011

Themes: Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“My first movie was a real turning point for me. It immediately gave me a career.”

- Actor Ryan Gosling talking about getting his start as an actor. (Us Weekly)

“我的第一部电影是我的真正转折点。它开启我的职业生涯。”
- 演员瑞恩·高斯林 (Ryan Gosling) 谈论他出道当演员时的情景时说。(《美国周刊》)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

moment in time when things change

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you are driving and you come to a bend in a road, you have to turn. After you make the turn, you’re no longer driving in the same direction.

In the same way, when you reach a turning point in your life, your life goes in a new direction. After this turning point, things are different for you. You’ve made some sort of major change.

For the actor Ryan Gosling, the big turning point in his life was when he starred in his first film. Before that, he was not a well-known actor. But after he did his first movie, his life headed in a new direction. He was on his way to becoming a star.

There are certain turning points that most of us experience, such as graduating from school, getting a first job, getting married or having a child. These turning points lead to a new stage in life.

But then there are those turning points that are unique to you. They’re the moments in your life that helped make you who you are. What are the major turning points in your life?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I think this new car is going to be a turning point for me. Everything’s going to get better now, right? “

“Studying abroad was a real turning point in Sam’s life. It opened his world.”

“Graduating from high school is a major turning point in most students’ lives.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Bojana the moment when everything changes, when the course of events change
by Bojana
jerryjeff It's a radical,mostly beneficial change in a person's life. An unforgetable event or opportunity
by jerryjeff
englishty It means something happen to you and because it your life kind of changes
by englishty
ahmadmoon I think it means : stage where things change and begin again .
by ahmadmoon
wwongsapun A point at which there is a change in direction or motion
by wwongsapun
Veta_JD in this context - a serious changing of anyone's life
by Veta_JD
IsaaBelaxD it can be like a decisive moment in the life of the person.
by IsaaBelaxD
dearpesar something that changes your idea, behavior and attitude
by dearpesar
cubi1604 An important moment or point that completely changes your life
by cubi1604

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Spersen1985

Åland Islands

Acquisition of knowledge is very necessary and valued. The skills are adhered and adopted by the online writing services the society is progressing on the pretext and foundation of the studies. The subjects are providing huge knowledge to the students and human beings.

08:17 AM Jul 10 2015 |

kane charles

China

i think the turning point for is that i lost my girlfriend, i got through a very tough time, well, now, i am back, and more powerful than before…

01:02 PM Nov 25 2011 |

mayowa

mayowa

Nigeria

Together we will find a way or make one, turning point turn to be good

04:16 PM Nov 21 2011 |

jackeyzhong

China

you want and you do it .that is your turning points

03:20 AM Nov 21 2011 |

lynn lam

lynn lam

China

if something was changed in your mind,i think,the turning points are coming.

02:22 AM Nov 21 2011 |

geo2011

Iraq

Hello ,

There are many turning poits in our life , personally , I think the first one when I married , second , when I gotting a son , third , when I gotting a daughter .

I think there are many turning points in my future … I hope it’s turning me to the good direction .

05:11 PM Nov 20 2011 |

mortimer cheung

China

personally,during one’s life there are lots of turning point.in my life i don’t have meet the real tuining point up to the present day.

01:27 PM Nov 19 2011 |

thamyris

thamyris

Brazil

“Studying abroad was a real turning point in Sam’s life. It opened his world.”

10:30 AM Nov 19 2011 |

Alhnouf

Alhnouf

Saudi Arabia

it’s really a bemeficil change in your life , it’s that thing that turns you up if you down , or turns you down if you’re up …

advise : make every single day in your life a turning point for you , not to the worse but of course to the best

11:41 PM Nov 18 2011 |

loklokloklok32

Hong Kong

everday is my turning point, until the end day.

10:12 PM Nov 18 2011 |

anggadwinka

Indonesia

tomorrow is turning point

01:28 AM Nov 18 2011 |

Maria del Alba

Spain

First, starting the university was the major turning point in my life because I realize that you need to make a strong effort to get what you want in life and you should’nt look back because it’s useless;

At the moment I am studying abroad and, this experience is my major turning point right now because I think i am becoming a little more mature

08:37 PM Nov 17 2011 |

4EVER

4EVER

United Arab Emirates

that was before two years..when i chose to be an english teacher…and now i’m waiting for another chance(all the best for me)lol

05:27 PM Nov 17 2011 |

1 person likes this

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

till now many turning points happend to me ,but i ;m waiting the most important turning point to happen in my life and i think i ‘ll come soonSmile

05:20 PM Nov 17 2011 |

sami albadani

Yemen

hiiiiiiiiiii

05:00 PM Nov 17 2011 |

Patts

Patts

Poland

I think the major turning point in my life was nearly two years ago, when I left my junior high school and went to the secondary school. It was the same time when I had to lead out of my home. I occupied with my grandmother, because she lives in the town where my school is.  I knew new people and completly another reality. It was awesome.

03:14 PM Nov 17 2011 |

1 person likes this

Kubi

Kubi

Germany

There were a lot of turning points in my live. The first one was to stop working daily and begin to study and the last one was to find my current job. I can combine work and my hobby (travelling).

02:29 PM Nov 17 2011 |

1 person likes this

FUN777

FUN777

Egypt

I think it doesn’t always happen, but everytime we pass a turning point it would be amazing thing to remember and it might ba a motive to us to try a lot of turning points in our lives.

11:53 AM Nov 17 2011 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

“What are the major turning points in your life?” – the first turning points for me was when I  left my native country for the new life in the another country because of the marriage. The second turning point was when I had a child and after 3 years I had another one!!!  The maternity is the GREAT turning point for every woman I think.

11:15 AM Nov 17 2011 |

yjfnyygy

yjfnyygy

China

every one have a different experience in his life , for me ,the big turning points in my life was when i was a little boy , a terrible thing happened in my famaily have made me unforget forever , from then on , my character be changed , didnt want to communicate with other pp , i don’t participated in some activities which be active by class or friends until i went to university ,after my first term of university ,i gradually talked much with other and joined in some social activities with classmates ,at the same time ,made me realized the importance of communicating with outside of world ,and opened up my heart that had been silent  as well ….....

08:26 AM Nov 17 2011 |

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast