简体
The Dentist
牙医

Learn the Zero Conditional

Date: Nov 14 2011

Themes: Health

Grammar: Zero Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Poor dentists. All they want to do is help you keep your teeth healthy and clean. Yet many people hate going to the dentist so much, they’ll do anything they can to put off going in for their regular check up. But if you wait until a tooth hurts really badly before visiting the dentist, you could be in serious trouble.

Jason hates going to the dentist. Hear Mason try to convince him that it’s not so bad.

可怜的牙医。他们是尽力帮助你保持牙齿健康和清洁的人。然而,很多人却非常讨厌去看牙医,他们会想尽一切办法不去做常规检查。但如果你等到牙痛得无法忍受时才去看牙医,问题便早已相当严重了。
詹森讨厌看牙医。请听梅森如何尝试让他相信看牙医这事并非如此糟糕。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Mason

Mason

Jason:  I put off going to the dentist as long as possible.

Mason:  Yeah, me too. But funny story, I actually went for the first time in something like six years or whatever, very recently, and I was fine. I had like no cavities.

Jason:  Wow.

Mason:  Everything was totally OK, which was kind of a shock to me.

Jason:  So when you go…the idea that you have to go for a check up every six months may not be the case.

Mason:  Well, I don’t know that I want to endorse that. It’s definitely a good thing to brush your teeth twice a day and to floss.

Jason:  But it’s so scary, like the mouth is kind of a mystery.

Mason:  I agree. It’s like, you don’t know what they’re doing in there either.

Jason:  You can’t see it.

Mason:  You can’t see it. They might make you unconscious. You don’t know what’s going to happen then, if they put you under.

Jason:  You can just hope that the hygienist is cute. And that’s all you got.

Mason:  That’s true.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Zero Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason doesn’t like going to the dentist and puts it off as long as he can. Mason used to be the same way, but he recently went for a check up. He was surprised, because even though he hadn’t been to the dentist for a long time, he didn’t have any cavities.

Jason thinks that going to the dentist is scary because the mouth is a mystery. You can’t see inside your own mouth and it’s hard to know what goes on in there. It can also be scary when the dentist puts you under because you don’t know what is happening when you’re unconscious.

Do you go to the dentist for regular check ups? Do you like going to the dentist, or do you think it’s scary?

Comments

mahsa_aisa

mahsa_aisa

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

put of going to dentst and checking is not good cuz some of the times we think our teeth are okay but actually they have problems and with lapse; the problem becomes bigger and bigger and thats the time we  may feel pain…so  previntion  is always better…

11:57 AM Jul 27 2014 |

fabsir

fabsir

Brazil

I hate to admit it but I won´t go to the dentist unless I suspect something is wrong with a tooth. I think if you floss enough and brush your teeth after every meal you have you´re sparing yourself going through tough treatments that are scary as when you need to get a tooth pulled or mini-surgeries, etc.

03:38 PM Jun 05 2013 |

1 person likes this

visioner

visioner

Indonesia

I went to the dentist a few months ago after a long time never go to the dentist Sealed. And i’m ready to come again Laughing

06:16 AM Dec 08 2011 |

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

“The Dentist” huh this word sounds terrible for some people but for me sounds tired :p , tired to keep my mouth open all the time, tired to pay the hygienist’s service LOL, so expensive in my country…( but i don’t like this kind of discount ” one tooth extraction get one tooth extraction for free LOL)
But for sure it is very important to check up ur teeth regulary , at least once or twice a year, i did it and it is work to make ur teeth healthy_ see LOL

01:43 PM Nov 19 2011 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I don’t think it’s scary but I was really surprised to learn that in the USA they can put you under for some dental manipulations.

02:10 PM Nov 17 2011 |

Mai Mei

Mai Mei

Spain

I have nightmares the days before going to the dentist! I’m really scared about it! 

01:03 PM Nov 15 2011 |

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

I have been going to the dentist regularly about every 4 to 6 months. I just came back from the dentist. I had a check up and cleaning this morning. I was sort of looking forward to it because I believed i was doing a stellar job in cleaning my teeth. My dentist taught me how important it is to not only brush but to floss every day too. In the past I made plenty of excuses for not flossing. My gums were not in good condition because of it. Since then I have made flossing a higher priority. I don’t have dental insurance, so now my only insurance is brushing and flossing.

11:10 PM Nov 14 2011 |

veljanepra

veljanepra

Germany

I recently losed my tooth bridge by lunch and I was very happy it again picked up. By us is a tooth treatment very expensive.

11:01 PM Nov 14 2011 |

loklokloklok32

Hong Kong

i like going to the dentist, cos i want to keep my teeth healthy.  i don’t think dentist is scary. they usually are very kind person and they are hleping people who suffering painful. no need to scary! 

10:24 PM Nov 14 2011 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I don’t like going to dentists , and I think as long as I’m brushing my teeth regularly , so i don’t need to go to the dentist .

actually I don’t like doing any check ups at all except if it is really necessary.

09:05 PM Nov 14 2011 |

Heraa

Eritrea

I think 100 times before going 4 the dentist,Ijust cankt stand sth metal toutching my teeth.Undecided

07:38 PM Nov 14 2011 |

IsaaBelaxD

IsaaBelaxD

Brazil

I go to the dentist every month. My dad is dentist, actually, and because I’m doing some treatments I need go every month. I can’t say that I like it, but is much better going to the dentist and prevent problems like cavities and stuff, than need to remedy it, that usually is very worse! :)

06:52 PM Nov 14 2011 |

vallerina160

Poland

I really hate dentists, and thank God I have nice smile and healthy teeth, so i dont have to visit him often :)

06:46 PM Nov 14 2011 |

marlene86

Ukraine

for me going to the dentist is a total pleasure cos I don’t put it off. having a regular check up is definitely better than feeling not confident about your looks and being afraid to give a smileLaughing

06:22 PM Nov 14 2011 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I dont like going to tentist doctor I suffer from my teeth often until now I have now tow painful in my teeth my mill needs to a serious operation I guess that

but every day I wash my mouth ? apperarance my teeth always very nice if any one look at my look when I go to my work every morning I will be in a good mood

my advice we should to care about our health we are without a good health we cant live

I dont know about my health now I suffer from some thing now

my leg my knee my headache so bad when you pained from any thing

I wish to all a good health god bless you from any disease

06:07 PM Nov 14 2011 |

wissam2011

Sudan

I don’t think going to the dentist is scary

but I didn’t thought by serious to go to the dentist, I don’t know why I did that.

05:19 PM Nov 14 2011 |

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

you just gotta go.

05:09 PM Nov 14 2011 |

jibriil

Belgium

yes i like dentist and also thanx to e baby teachters

04:06 PM Nov 14 2011 |

1 person likes this

jibriil

Belgium

yes i like dentist and also thanx to e baby teachters

04:06 PM Nov 14 2011 |

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

i dont afraid of going to the dentist and i dont go for regular check up coz it is very boring to wait ur turn to come,i ‘m impatientUndecided

02:54 PM Nov 14 2011 |

Likes (24):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast