简体
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
大侦探福尔摩斯 2:诡影游戏

Learn about Adjectives

Date: Feb 15 2012

Themes: Pop Culture

Grammar: Adjectives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The character of Sherlock Holmes has been around since the 1800s. But audiences don’t seem to get tired of him. What is it about the maniacal sleuth that keeps people coming back for more?

The latest Sherlock Holmes movie is A Game of Shadows, with Robert Downey, Jr. playing the famous detective. Marni and Mason both recently saw it. Find out if they detected any brilliance in the film.

夏洛克·福尔摩斯是 19 世纪的人物角色。但观众似乎并不对他生厌。这个疯狂侦探的哪种特质如此吸引观众?
最新的大侦探福尔摩斯电影是《诡影游戏》,由小罗伯特·唐尼 (Robert Downey, Jr) 出演这位著名的侦探。马尼和梅森最近都看过这部电影。看看他们是否在电影中发现了什么光彩之处。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Marni

Marni

Mason:  So Marni, did you get around to seeing any of the blockbusters?

Marni:  I went and saw Sherlock Holmes as a matter of fact.

Mason:  Oh really.

Marni:  Did you like it?

Mason:  I thought it was OK. I wasn’t a huge fan of the first one, and this one kind of, I think, was in the same realm. It was like, I enjoyed watching it.

Marni:  Sure. It’s entertaining, but it didn’t blow your mind.

Mason:  Yeah, but I won’t see it again.

Marni:  OK. I like to see this character…I like that he’s had this resurgence. And I think it’s an interesting take. You know, they sort of have this modern flair even though it’s still set in the late 1800s in London. And it’s kind of an interesting mix of this…he’s still sort of that crazy, maniacal genius, but he’s also really tough.

Mason:  Yeah. I mean, I did really like what they do with the cinematography in the sequences that he’s, like, thinking through all of his moves, and it’s all happening in his head.

Marni:  You know, it’s interesting, because not only has this film come about, but there’s also a new BBC series about Sherlock Holmes, and it’s set in modern day London, same characters, and Sherlock Holmes is just a complete sociopath. He’s just really horrible, and yet still that genius. It’s an interesting take on that as well. I’m just fascinated that this character that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in the late 1800s has had this whole resurgence again.

Mason:  Everything old is new again.

Marni:  Exactly.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adjectives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Mason both recently saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. But they have different opinions about it. Mason thought it was entertaining, but not excellent. Marni, on the other hand, really enjoyed it.

Marni says that she liked how Sherlock Holmes in this film is both a genius and very tough. She thinks the character of Sherlock Holmes is fascinating and likes how much interest there has been in him lately. She thinks it’s interesting that the character is still so popular, even though he was created over 100 years ago.

Do you think Sherlock Holmes is an interesting character? Who are some of your favorite characters from books or movies? How would you describe them?

Comments

blinbus

blinbus

Russian Federation

I like this character and like the movie very much! I really like Robert Downey,Jr.

But there is also the russian film about Sherlok Holmes starring Vasiliy Livanov, his character differs from Roberts one. In 2006 he gets the Most Excellent Order Of the British Empire for this part

11:17 AM Feb 18 2012 |

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

yeaaaa i like this charecter so much….he ’s genius and smart detective

Cool

02:13 PM Feb 17 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Snoopyboy what would have happened if you lived in Brasil or any other hot country rather than Antarctica :) I think instead of the fire there would be thunder with lightning

Smile

11:50 PM Feb 16 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

@ Ola33

Fueling our fire

Tongue out

04:09 PM Feb 16 2012 |

1 person likes this

Dr.hedyeh

Dr.hedyeh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

very nice.tanx a lot

09:29 AM Feb 16 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Anja, that’s nice you see the rosy hue in my words. :)

I do my best to catch the positive thoughts up to write them down here. This sort of destraction is a good medicine against the bleeding wounds…... 

Anja, I’m content there are few positive thoughts are left in my mind still.  Seems to be I have not died yet ( mentally). ;)

08:05 AM Feb 16 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Your guess is right.  The Valentine’s Cruise was amazing, friends! There were four of us   ( Mexicano’s  Goddess-wife as well ;).

To my amazement I got VISA very easily and whole world has opened its arms for me. I was so happy!!! My dream to travel all over the world has eventually been fulfilled! I felt the embrace of ocean,  I felt the warm breath of sky and of course I felt the special atmosphere of love. I could never imagine in the deepest dreams that one day I will have spent the most romantic day on board of cruiser  “Cupid’s Kiss” with friends I met on eBaby . I had the positive changing of my life!!! :)

We all have agreed to meet again to make  round –the- world trip by balloon next year. Join us and help us to name the balloon, please! Smile

07:24 AM Feb 16 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Snoopyboy, always keep on rifting. It makes this sharing views column more alive and fun.

12:14 AM Feb 16 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Ryo, I remember your goal was to speak like a native speaker. I see you made a lot of progress already

: )

08:31 PM Feb 15 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yes, snoopy, we’re undercovers. Under the pretex of learning English, we’ re just here to strike a good friendship. :)

08:07 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

True, Ola33

English is just the excuse we use to make friends on this site. : )

“hey, let’s practice English… I like your eyes and smile”

-“huh?”

Tongue out

07:54 PM Feb 15 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Snoopyboy, we just practice English with Sherlock Holmes or without him :)

07:35 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

No need to be humble Ola33, your comment is very informative , you just put Sherlock Holmes right on a plate for those who is accustomed to him, I found that very useful. The spark we needed to get right back on track. As you may have noticed, we had a little rift here. now I have to send some letters of apology  to every  English, Baby member .For being a bad exemple here

07:28 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Snoopy, I don’t think it needed some refurbishment :)

07:21 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Butta cut the sob story now!

we’re here because Sherlock Holmes had sent us on a mission

07:19 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I didn’t even know they made an animation series for Sherlock Holmes, good stuff : )

07:15 PM Feb 15 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

wow Ola33, you really revamped the mood here

07:13 PM Feb 15 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Butta, you are right , the mind is also a muscle  that we must exercise ,otherwise  it tends  to  lose  its power.  we obviously are not native speakers  ,reading books ,talking, listening to English speakers people  improves our capacity  to  speed up  our knowlege  of the new language.

07:12 PM Feb 15 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

While welcoming the resurrection of Sherlock Holmes movies, I wasn’t quite blown away by the first Guy Ritchie’s blockbuster “Sherlock Holmes”. For me it wasn’t a top-notch movie, that’s why probably I’m reluctant to watch the second “A game of shadows”. But some of my friends find that the  movie is very stylish , and definitely they look forward to watching a sequel.

Well, why not, who’s not as Guy Ritchie, British by origin, would depict a famous fictional character of mastermind detective of the English literature. Everything how it should be – pipe smoking, violin playing, cocaine using , boxing and even raising from the dead, Sherlock Holmes was struggling with his demons going through bouts of insanity and depression. The traits of Sherlock Holmes’s erratic character somehow affected the general atmosphere of the movie. The plot, all in all, is chaotic and complex, just like the moody and difficult personality of Sherlock Holmes. What I really grateful to Guy Ritchie is for his truthful depiction of London without its green lawns and cute houses, all in smog with Brits as extremely poor, uneducated and far from being an English gentleman as Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice). That’s a piece of reality just struck me. Can’t help saying about the music that brought a sort of  a modern flair into the movie and made it unique and unusual to the audience accustomed to suspense atmosphere of the detective movies with its looming formidable tunes that the crime is still unsolved and something else is coming. Here, that jagged tune was kind of a tease. And you don’t know whether to take the Conan Doyle story serious or just laugh at it.

07:08 PM Feb 15 2012 |

FUN777

FUN777

Egypt

Of course i really like Sherlock Holmes, i remember when i was a kid i used to see an animation series about Sherlock Holmes, i liked it and i can tell that Sherlock Holmes is my favorite character.

07:07 PM Feb 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: