Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

hit it off

简体
hit it off
一见如故

Date: Apr 26 2012

Themes: Friend

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I hit it off with Jennifer right away. We’re both from Kentucky, so we had an automatic connection.”

- Josh Hutcherson talking about his Hunger Games co-star, Jennifer Lawrence. (Us Weekly)

“我马上就和詹妮弗 (Jennifer) 一见如故。我们都来自肯塔基州,所以有一种必然联系。”
— 乔什·哈彻森 (Josh Hutcherson) 谈论他在《饥饿游戏》中的合作演员詹妮弗·劳伦斯 (Jennifer Lawrence)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

get along well with someone you just met

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you first meet someone, it isn’t a good idea to hit them. That would definitely make a bad impression. On the other hand, if the two of you hit it off, that’s great!

When two people hit it off, they get along really well right away. They experience an instant connection and become friends quickly. That’s what happened between Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence when they met on the set of The Hunger Games. They had something in common, because they both come from the same state. So they were able to connect and get along right away.

It’s a good thing that Josh and Jennifer hit it off, because they had to spend a lot of time together making The Hunger Games. In the movie, they play two teens chosen, along with 22 others, to fight to the death as a form of entertainment. So not only did they hit it off, but they also had to hit each other—at least on screen!

Hit it off isn’t the only idiom using the verb “hit.” If you hit on someone, you try to flirt with them and get them to like you in a romantic way. If you hit it big, you have success. Hitting the jackpot is even better; that means becoming extremely successful, especially with money.

When was the last time you met someone with whom you really hit it off? Do you usually hit it off with people right away, or do you need to get to know people before forming a friendship with them?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Our friends introduced us and we hit it off immediately and spent the whole night talking to each other.”

“It looks like Jake and Danielle are really hitting it off. They’ve been laughing all night.”

“We didn’t hit it off at first, but over time we became good friends.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Manu4 To connect with another person immediately
by Manu4
steffie001 to become the friends immediately in the first meet
by steffie001
goodmahsa He gets along very well with Jennifer and everything goes really well
by goodmahsa
nastaran.k I guess it means that I made a friendship with jeniffer?no?
by nastaran.k
To quickly become good friends with someone.
by candycandice
from my way of thinking hit it off means two people really get along with each other the first time they meet.they found that they had a lot in common and there is a vibe between them
by arianna huang
Anjelica to become friends very fast
by Anjelica
Ahshan make a good friendship with somebody.
by Ahshan
anges491 be naturally friendly or well suited, like
by anges491
It's maybe when u have something common with somebody unexpectedly
by Perfectionist
Jeyran to get on well
by Jeyran
to become close people at the first sight
by Irene Forever
cubi1604 Get along well with someone- Like someone at first sight
by cubi1604
Crizsearch means become friendly
by Crizsearch

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

DarknessLight

Germany

I hit it off with my current best friend. We became really good friends the first time we met, as we found out how many things we’ve got in common and we had the same classes at the same time, so we were together the whole day, she was an exception as I don’t really hit it off with anyone, I have to know the person pretty well before I decide if I’d be friends with them or not.

05:36 PM Oct 22 2012 |

Hasti.abc

Hasti.abc

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

last time i hit it up with my best friend who now turns my enemy.

06:26 AM Sep 13 2012 |

baloumi

baloumi

Algeria

hi

12:02 AM May 10 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Criz, my native country is Ukraine.  The same country where Irene lives :)

05:17 PM Apr 27 2012 |

Crizsearch

Crizsearch

Indonesia

Lesya, what country do you come from exactly? Russia?

01:51 PM Apr 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Seiyf, you are also wise and right like Julito is. I completely agree “We cannot have all unfortunately” 

12:01 PM Apr 27 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

You are right….... but if you could know how I miss my parents and brother Cry

11:37 AM Apr 27 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Of course I understand you . I am glad for you  and  that void  is  filled up  with a caring  husband and kids.  Smile

11:34 AM Apr 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Julito, please understand me I have nobody in this country closer than my husband and kids. All my kin are 1500 km away Cry

11:29 AM Apr 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

LESYA, how luckie you are, you have got  a multi-task husband.  lol  Wink

11:28 AM Apr 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Anjelica, I’m with you!!! My husband plays the role of my husband, of my closest friend and of my parents to me..  He is 4 in 1 Laughing

10:47 AM Apr 27 2012 |

Crizsearch

Crizsearch

Indonesia

if I don’t feel skeptical about someone I met in the first time, I can hit it off with her /him in minutes. Too bad I’m such a picky, even in choosing friends. :p

10:41 AM Apr 27 2012 |

Jouannahan

Jouannahan

China

I believed the acquaintance is a kind of fate.

08:13 AM Apr 27 2012 |

fabsir

fabsir

Brazil

The last time I hit it off with someone was three years ago when I went to a club and met a group of people who are now my friends. But I am an introverted sort of guy so I usually don´t hit it off with people right away. I prefer getting to know them better and then form a friendship.

09:25 PM Apr 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

Zezomo, serch in “google”    and click on   both  definitions,  Revenue and GDP. you can find  them both.   good luck  

09:24 PM Apr 26 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Anita, Witaj,   I  completely  agree  with you.  It just amazes me when  I  find that person  in which we can hit it off  right away . Most of the times  they are casual  meetings  that    don´t   last  in time.Undecided   

09:17 PM Apr 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

Sourabhenglishbaby

United States

to be friendly with each other immediatel

08:21 PM Apr 26 2012 |

abelhinha

abelhinha

Brazil

in a relation of friendship is very important because you feel well and you can enjoy life better 

07:28 PM Apr 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

TranceSoul

TranceSoul

Poland

In my case it works depending on a person,who I meet,especially depending on the character of this person. There are people whose I just meet and I feel as if we had known each other for a long time and then we hit it off. It’s really great matter. But it is a rarity,so I value it pretty much. In general I need a lot of time to trust someone. I have a few friends but TRUE friends :)

06:53 PM Apr 26 2012 |

aymoone

aymoone

Saudi Arabia

to break borders from each other :D

06:46 PM Apr 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (25):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo