简体
Fireworks
烟花

Modal Verbs

Date: Jul 04 2012

Themes: Holidays

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The Fourth of July is all about backyards, BBQ, and of course, fireworks. Cities and towns across America put on big fireworks displays to celebrate Independence Day. Families gather together to “ooh” and “ahh” over the show. Some brave (or foolish) individuals create their own fireworks displays at home, too. Find out if Jason and Amy will be watching any fireworks this year—or setting them off.

在 7 月 4 日,所有美国家庭的后院一片喜气,能吃到烤肉,当然,还能看到烟花。美国的城镇上演大型烟花表演,庆祝独立日。家人聚在一起,欣赏烟花表演。一些勇敢(或者愚蠢)的人也在家进行烟花表演。看看詹森和艾米是否会观看今年的烟花,或者亲手放烟花。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Amy

Amy

Jason:  Are you gonna catch the big fireworks show?

Amy:  I’m kind of more of a fan of setting off fireworks yourself.

Jason:  That is a lot of fun.

Amy:  I know. It’s dangerous though. I actually got burned a little bit last year.

Jason:  Really?

Amy:  Just a little bit. But it was kind of scary. It was one of those fireworks that just went out of control.

Jason:  Was it a legal firework?

Amy:  I don’t know. I’m not sure what the line is with that, you know?

Jason:  I think it can’t fly a certain distance, but it’s different in every city, what’s legal and what isn’t.

Amy:  Right. Well, that’s the funny thing. Some people drive across state lines and everything in order to get the really big fireworks.

Jason:  I have totally done that. You can buy them that are almost like the big fireworks show.

Amy:  I know. Exactly.

Jason:  That’s the real thrill. Setting off the big fireworks show from your backyard and then hoping that the police can’t figure out where it’s coming from.

Amy:  Totally. You just have to be sure that a lot of your neighbors are doing it too.

Jason:  And hopefully it rained the day before, so things aren’t too dry.

Amy:  Right.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason asks Amy if she is going to see their city’s fireworks display on the Fourth of July. Amy says that she prefers to set off fireworks at home. But she has to be careful. Sometimes fireworks can go out of control.

Jason agrees that it’s fun to set off your own fireworks. There are laws about how big the fireworks can be that you set off yourself. But these laws are different in different cities. Jason has gone to a different state just to buy bigger fireworks in the past. He and Amy must like to live dangerously…at least on the Fourth of July.

Do you like to watch or set off fireworks? Is there one day during the year when your city puts on a big fireworks display?

Comments

sareh_tt

sareh_tt

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

we have it in our country in the last wednsday.its amazing to watch but I find it too dangrous specially for childs and teens

05:40 PM Jul 15 2012 |

ana.p94231

ana.p94231

India

I like to watch the fireworks but I am completely against of setting off fireworks yourself because of two main reasons. My first reason is, it’s risky and second one is it creates pollution. In India, setting off fireworks yourself is legally allowed so, people set off fireworks for festival like Diwali. Its a very good festival of lights, lamps and sweets but, I don’t like fireworks because every year immediate next day of this festival we hear bad news of something like loss of hands or legs or eyes sometimes loss of life… thats very bad about it… this is main reason I like don’t like this fireworks. In India people don’t require any specific reason to set off firework so, they can use it at any happy occassions like marriages and the same because it’s legal. I like here in US this is not legaly allowed. From last two years I enjoy watching fireworks on fourth of July only. It is very good rule. Each and every country should make such rules and restrict use of fireworks which can save us from many dangerous situations.

Be safe those who set off fireworks themselves.

02:56 PM Jul 09 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I am a fan  of fireworks  and  every new year the city is lit up  with probably millions of them that are  setting off by  people of every social status , we can  freely buy them on the street  and some are really  dangerous  and expensive. One thing is for sure,that night   the   burn  hospital  will have a line up of careless people with severe burning  to be treated  and lost of vision. When we play with fire ,we are inviting  a permanent scar in our hands or face.    

01:41 PM Jul 09 2012 |

riris

riris

Indonesia

i love to watch a firework than set it by my self, i love enjoying the colours, sounds, and pattern. its fun :D it always amazing, like stars in the sky.. hehe

on my country, there always fireworks when we celebrate new year and some religious holiday

10:31 AM Jul 08 2012 |

1 person likes this

Orchestra

Orchestra

Russian Federation

I love fireworks myself!! This riot of colours bloomed up in the skies like a bouquet of fairy-tale flowers – that’s the wonder merely, isn’t it? We have fireworks several times a year apart from New Year and Independence Day celebrations. These ocassions are The Day of the city, The Victory Day and some other smaller festivals. As for me, and most of others in Russia, within the New Year celebration, this kind of activity is gone off with setting off fireworks bought beforehand on your own . Oh, yeah! That is wicked madness!!

09:38 PM Jul 05 2012 |

Andressa Holland

Brazil

I love only those fireworks full of colors. There are some fireworks that is only the sound (or the noise) and I hate them! They aren’t beautiful and are so annoying! >=(

And I prefer watch the fireworks, is so beautiful and also make the air full of joy! 

02:50 PM Jul 05 2012 |

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

I like the fireworks so,but the problem is that they r very dangrous specialy when they go out of control.I like their shapes in the sky,they make u feel with fun.I didnt have abig celebration here before,cuz i live in asmall village.But in our towns we have ,& i see that on TV.I remember when i was akido ,& did asmall celebration with my kidos friends,we really had fun.I always remember my childhood,its so funny.Actualy we didnt play with fireworks,but u can say with fireropes.we sparked the rope ,& made it round & round & round on the air.Really i liked those days.

08:42 PM Jul 04 2012 |

Lolo :)

Lolo :)

Germany

I prefer watching fireworks… Setting of them isn’t what I like most. I’m every year a little bit scared and don’t want to be hurt by them. So I stay at home and watch them ;)

07:11 PM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I like seeing colourful lightened fireworks, but only seeing them. Actually I’m not brave enough to risk setting off a firework myself, that’s absolutely gonna be freaky and hazardous, especially for people hating fires like me :)

Setting off fireworks is a good way of celebrating, I think it’s sometime is the highlight point of the celebration, it’s just bring bout joy and pleasure and always fetch the excitement and the thrill to make it more interesting and vital..

In Egypt, you can see fireworks in concerts and occasions that involve excitement and pleasure, just like that occasion in Liberation Square about a week ago, when Egyptians were gathered to celebrate our new president _ 

07:01 PM Jul 04 2012 |

lllooovvveee

Hungary

Yes, I like watching fireworks. In Hungary, on the 20th of August Budapest puts on a big beautiful fireworks display and many other city too. I always watch it on tv, because I live in a village where doesn’t make fireworks on 20th of August every year. Of course, when New Year day arrives there are fireworks in different city too. I usually spend New Year’s Eve in my church and after midnight, we go out to the terrace and watch own fireworks. I like it :)

05:28 PM Jul 04 2012 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

wow i like to see itSurprised

05:07 PM Jul 04 2012 |

nfrtary

nfrtary

Egypt

happy 4 of july to all americans , enjoy it  

04:47 PM Jul 04 2012 |

Lydia6996

Malaysia

I only like to watch rather than set off fireworks. This is because,when we are about to set off the fireworks there are things we need to look at in terms of the safety. If you think you are not good at setting of the fireworks,please don’t be. You are making yourself into danger.

04:27 PM Jul 04 2012 |

Whisper of Hearts

Egypt

woooooo0o0o0ow…ilike to watch fireworks Cool

04:11 PM Jul 04 2012 |

lanilani_hitomi

Japan

I like to watch fireworks in summer. But the place we can watch fireworks become really crouded and  hot. So It makes me tired.

I also like hand-held fireworksKiss

02:58 PM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

ak479456

ak479456

Taiwan

firewoks….I’m not sure if I like it or not.It is extremely beautiful for a few seconds while “burning up” millions of dollars. Considering the recent global economy, I actually prefer the authorities to spend money on the relatively more important sector such as education rather than to “burn” money for the “beautiful” instant.   

02:34 PM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

待绩

待绩

China

yes,I like it very march.because it’s so beautyful we can watch it keep distant and it is worthwhile tosee because every year hasonce.Laughing 

01:35 PM Jul 04 2012 |

Kiroly

Kiroly

China

I like watching fireworks.  It’s so beautiful。Fireworks lets the night full of color. But there have different requirements in different regions of our country. The city where I live only allow set off fireworks during New year holidays. Because big fireworks can go out of control, it will result in casualties. Beautiful moment, the most important safety.

01:01 PM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

yes i do! and yes, there is! like today it’s the final of libertador cup and the most popular team soccer plays against Boca Jr. today, it’s never won this championship before and it means that if it win, i will sure see the biggest celebration in the streets and in the sky ever!! I look forward to seeing!!!   

12:03 PM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Happy 4th of July!! Have the most beautiful firework view!

We’ve just had it on Canada Day. Three days of holidays and two days of firework :) Once we had it done on the playground with lots of kids from the neighbourhood around to watch. It was amazing!

11:00 AM Jul 04 2012 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast