Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

what it boils down to

简体
what it boils down to
问题的关键

Date: Jan 24 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I think censorship is dangerous. Because it pulls out questions – who are the censors? What do they know? You know what I mean, that’s really what it boils down to.”

– Actor and rapper Ice Cube on his thoughts about censorship. (Teen Ink)

“我认为审查面临多种危险。因为它又涉及诸多问题,例如谁是审查者?他们又了解什么?你知道,这才是问题的关键。”

— 演员兼说唱歌手艾斯·库伯 (Ice Cube) 谈论自己对审查制度的看法。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

what something really means, basics

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever made a sauce or soup on the stove? Often, you start by bringing the liquid to a boil. Eventually, you turn down the heat. But if you kept it boiling, what would happen? All the liquid would eventually turn into a gas and vanish into the air, or evaporate. What your soup boiled down to would be thick and solid, with a strong flavor.

When you boil something down, you get rid of all the extra stuff. You go back to the main ingredients, or the essence or focus of the thing. When you say What it boils down to, you mean that you are talking about the main idea or argument of something, when you’ve gotten rid of all the extra details and noise.

Ice Cube knows that a lot of people have a lot of things to say about censorship. But for him, what it boils down to is simple: censorship is dangerous.

Think about an issue or topic that people have a lot to say about. Do you have a simple or direct take on the issue? Can you start a sentence with “what it boils down to” that expresses what you think?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“His book was long, but what it boiled down to was his interest in ending gun violence.”

What it boils down to is that if you want me to work, I want to be paid.”

“My philosophy on life can change, but what it boils down to is be kind to others and they will be kind to you.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Yuci the most basic part
by YuciSuper Member!
cubi1604 The main point. The bottom line
by cubi1604
goodmahsa what it come down to,in the end.
by goodmahsa
to be the main reason of something or to be the main part of something
by bellaboo2422
It means what the final result or conclusion is.
by englishteacher24/7
 julito the bottom line of a question.
by julito

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

The conflict in Egypt upon governance boils down to that no one works for the sake of the country, they all want the authority and the power :(.. 

09:54 PM Feb 08 2013 |

jeongyaong

jeongyaong

South Korea

Here is my take concerning North Korea. There are many arguments on North Korea, but what it boils down to is that they should stop neglecting the people dying in hunger. 

05:58 AM Feb 04 2013 |

Levi3262

Levi3262

Brazil

Here in my country we have been passing for a sad moment, we’ve been crying for the people we lost in St. Maria….

What it boils down to it’s the fact we love our nation and keep praying for all fo us !

09:07 AM Jan 28 2013 |

Kat331

China

the key point

08:59 AM Jan 28 2013 |

ballin25

ballin25

United Kingdom

learn english  very good if you have time whit someone but alon soo had im alon i dont know how  find someone learn to ghadah.

06:34 PM Jan 24 2013 |

GirlNinja

GirlNinja

Brazil

It says here; learn how to use the slang, but it’s not really a slang, it’s a metaphoric expression.

06:12 PM Jan 24 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Last night the two presidential candidates had on live TV a two hours  heated debate  on how do  they expect to create new jobs and reduce  the fiscal deficit. What it boils down to , is that  none of the candidates has   put forward  realistic inputs  that would bring   about the  changes that the dormant economy of  this country   is waiting for.

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

to keep the balance in our life what it boils down to set some rules or code of conducts and obey them with out and out honesty. life is like kind of maze we can’t twig all the things exactly and we can’ behave like an imp. so its necessory to keep ourselves fervent about the happenings. we should take it rationaly and gave down to a science.

09:49 AM Jan 24 2013 |

Egypt

what it boils down to is that i still love you :(

08:55 AM Jan 24 2013 |

Wielomian

Wielomian

Poland

What it boils down to when you run Marathon is don’t think about pain and about how many kilometers remains.

07:50 AM Jan 24 2013 |

knuschu

knuschu

Germany

Sorry for just repeating the example sentence, but this topic came as first in my mind:

“His speech was pretty long, but what it boiled down to was that he believes gun violence has to end.”

another

There has been enough conferences, what it boiled down to is that we have to safe our nature now.

02:35 AM Jan 24 2013 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

What Obama boils down to is to get together and be strong as one people and nation t

to make u.s prosperous again. This is what i boil down to when i listened to his speech. 

02:33 AM Jan 24 2013 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast