Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Gratitude
Gratitude

Learn English with this gratitude English lesson

Date: Feb 14 2020

Themes: Friend, Health, How To

Grammar: Used to Do vs Be Used to

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Did you know there’s one trick that can make you happier almost instantly? It’s called gratitude, and it’s pretty simple: just start saying thank you.

Being thankful for the things you have, the people in your life, and even the food you eat and the clothes you wear, can give you a more positive outlook on life. You don’t have to have the most money or the nicest possessions to be happy. You only need to appreciate what you already have.

An easy way to practice gratitude is by making an on-going list of things you’re thankful for. Some people use a special book, a gratitude journal, to keep a running tally of the blessings in their lives. If you don’t want to write it down, try to take a few minutes every day to think about the good things you have experienced that day. Even if you’re dealing with a difficult situation, focusing on the positives will help you improve your attitude.

Learn who needs an attitude adjustment in this English lesson about being thankful.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jeff

Jeff

Rafael

Rafael

Jeff:  Hey.

Rafael:  Hey. What’s up?

Jeff:  What’s the deal? You look pretty unhappy.

Rafael:  Ever since it started getting dark, I’ve been feeling a little bit sad.

Jeff:  You know, I used to get like that a lot, too, but then I started keeping a gratitude journal.

Rafael:  A gratitude journal?

Jeff:  Yeah. Have you noticed how I’m so perky all the time? This really helped.

Rafael:  Well, some days you’re perkier than others, but that’s true. You are really perky.

Jeff:  Compared to you, everyone is perky. Let me fill you in. Basically, each day you have to take a step back. Maybe things are getting you down, but you have to pause. And it’s as simple as counting your blessings, whether that means keeping track of them, keeping a running tally. Take a time out. Do that. That’s a start.

Rafael:  Well, that sounds great. But it kind of reminds me of my parents telling me to get an attitude adjustment.

Jeff:  Oh, I hate that one. I got that a lot when I was younger.

Rafael:  So, this gratitude journal really works for you?

Jeff:  Well yeah, but it takes some practice. You have to be consistent. It’s not always smooth sailing. When times are tough, just keep going. It’s a daily practice, I tell you, and it’s helped me beyond what I ever dreamed.

Rafael:  How long have you been keeping a gratitude journal, Jeff?

Jeff:  For the last 35 years.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Used to Do vs Be Used to" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Rafael isn’t feeling very well. He’s been kind of sad since it started getting dark, and he doesn’t seem happy at all. Jeff notices his friend’s negative feelings and suggests that Rafael try keeping a gratitude journal.

For Jeff, writing down all the good things in his life has had a major impact on his attitude. He’s been practicing the habit of gratitude for 35 years, and it seems like it’s worked! Now he’s perky all the time! Rafael has definitely noticed Jeff’s positive attitude, and he sounds curious about keeping a gratitude journal.

Do you think Rafael will start writing down his blessings? Do you keep a gratitude journal?

Comments

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Ohhh. That’s really interesting! I commented on this lesson in 2014 and see, I’m back writing once again in 2020. What a wonder J

I believe, looking at the positive part of things changes our attitude gradually! At least I’d try so…

04:27 PM Feb 16 2020 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I’ve been getting hard time much often lately, so I see this as a pretty good idea. I’d bettter start to do that right now.

07:08 PM Feb 28 2018 |

aliarmagedonSuper Member!

United States

Being thankful to what we have definitely has a positive effect on our life. It’s true that all of us have rainy days in oud lives but these days never last forever.

06:59 PM Feb 28 2018 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Writing blessigns by Rafael, amm,I have to say HOW LONG IS A PEICE OF A STRING. I don’t know. Maybe yes either no. Generally speaking it does not RING TRUE to him and also on the other side he is a bit curious about it though. If he could not tackle it might be useful for him to test it once. Perhaps it works. 

I used to do it from time to time a long time ago. Indeed nowadays, no. I think recalling in my memory constantly when i’ve got free time to be alone to search my mind is roughly similar to writting gratitude journal. 

12:01 PM Jan 12 2014 |

CaryZhang

China

I also do not write the gratitude journal,is it necessay?i don’t think so ,i should take our blessings to action,it is more useful.

01:10 PM Jan 09 2014 |

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

I don’t think that Refael will start writing down his blessing cuz it depends on the nature of the person . since we’ve been created on this earth we were welling to get everything to be the best , everybody trying to be the best then everyone ,it’s kind of competition , and I thing when you be thankful that’s mean you’re out of this competition .

I did not ,and I will not ,cuz I see my self when I be thankful I become feeling fine about life situations and I never ever hope to make a change

11:42 AM Jan 09 2014 |

blueginger

Viet Nam

I do not 100% agree with Jeff that taking a step back everyday is a good thing to do. If you are so high demanding on the things that always hard to reach out than it is right time to look down and think of the gratitude. But being a young or middle age folk, it had better to take advantages of challenging and motivating to bring you and the world up to the new life.

10:01 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

habiba 18

habiba 18

Tunisia

the  gratitude journal is a great idea i used to have one befor and it really make my life better 

08:18 PM Jan 08 2014 |

mehrmaian

mehrmaian

Afghanistan

if i allways be like that(be thankful for every thing) i will never be sad.i hope i can,really feel better than before,looks i have no problem in my life,cause god is allways here to help me

08:06 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

I don´t keep a gratitude journal ,evenmore  , i rarely remember to thank God  for  the good things  that  I enjoy  in my life  and i take it for granted ,  forgetting that  nothing is possible without God`s grace. I agree  with Jeff`s  attitude , we should stay upbeat ,at least to make a conscious effort  to raise  above  the ups and down  that inevitably  sooner or later we will have to suffer or enjoy in our life . 

06:23 PM Jan 08 2014 |

3 people like this

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

I don´t write my gratitudes down, I prefer keeping them always in my mind

05:59 PM Jan 08 2014 |

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

i started to keep a gratitude journal after i had watched (The Secret) by Rohand Byrne...amazing

05:42 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

Lankiks

Denmark

I have my doubt about writing each day in the gratitude journal, but I think it´s important to thank God for all the good things that happens in my life.

04:15 PM Jan 08 2014 |

soul abroad

Mexico

Great lesson ! It is a very important topic for a healthy life…mmmm I have my doubts about keeping a journal but just taking time to thank God by praying principally and thank to everyone for small and big things, favors, etc. really works !!!  just be nice to everyone !!! :D

04:08 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

jef_maiko

jef_maiko

Brazil

Good mood is very important for all of us. If you take a time and write a gratitude journal is a way to reflect on actions we have done….

02:59 PM Jan 08 2014 |

sanadamaru

sanadamaru

Japan

35 years? It’s so long. I’m curious about keeping a gratitude journal but I wonder if I last it so long? I think every little bit counts. Rafael might get a lot of things by keeping the habit.  

01:28 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

i do like this lesson very much.

12:52 PM Jan 08 2014 |

Lankiks

Denmark

Life is easier when you look at the bright side of life. Counting each blessing is a very good thingg

12:50 PM Jan 08 2014 |

Lankiks

Denmark

Life is easier when you look at the bright side of life. Counting each blessing is a very good thingg

12:50 PM Jan 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

Keeping a gratitude journal is certainly a kind of optmistic action. I’ve never done it myself, but I’m used to put things down on an “Anger Journal”. It’s something similar, but different at the same time.

Instead of writing good things, you let off steam. In other words, you get your bad feelings off your chest. As I’m not angry or sad everyday, I don’t take notes on a daily basis. But it still helps a lot, since anger can burn you from the inside, and I’ve been doing it for a year now. I can already feel those feelings decreasing. The only con is that it also makes you remember things that you want to forget.

12:46 PM Jan 08 2014 |

Likes (31):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast