简体
Soybeans
大豆

Learn English with this soybeans English lesson

Date: Aug 24 2018

Themes: Food

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Tofu. Edamame. Soy milk. What do these foods have in common? They’re all made from the soy plant. And they’re all said to be healthy alternatives to other foods.

In a world where diets try to eliminate certain types of food, soy has gained popularity. Its mild taste and many shapes make it easy for incorporating into daily meals. Most coffee shops offer soy milk as well as regular dairy milk, and tofu is common as a replacement for meat.

Marni and Jessica both like soy, but they’re worried about something. What is it? Use today’s English lesson to learn more about nutrition.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jessica

Jessica

Marni:  You know, Jessica, I was looking at my box of soy milk, and I realized I don’t actually know which country exports soy. I’m a little ignorant on where all my soy comes from.

Jessica:  Actually, I am, too, now that I think about it, and I’ve been incorporating a lot of soy into my diet because I’m trying to eliminate dairy.

Marni:  Oh.

Jessica:  And I should really look into where it’s from.

Marni:  Yeah. We both should. You’re eating a lot more soy is what I’m hearing from you.

Jessica:  Yeah.

Marni:  And I really love edamame, and I use soy milk occasionally. But I kind of worry sometimes that too much soy can be harmful. What do you think about that?

Jessica:  Well, I think soy is a good alternative to dairy. Dairy can be harsh on the system sometimes, and I find soy to be much more mild.

Marni:  Do you ever worry about the hormones?

Jessica:  Gosh, I’ve never thought about it, Marni. I’m going to have to do some research.

Marni:  I know. We both will. We both like soy, so let’s make an effort to a) find out where it comes from and be more aware, and then b) let’s look into the health factors.

Jessica:  Yeah. Do our research.

Marni:  Sounds good.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni tells Jessica that she doesn’t know where soy comes from. Even though she loves many soy foods, like edamame, she isn’t sure which country exports the plant.

Jessica admits that she doesn’t know, either. Because Jessica is trying not to eat dairy, she eats a lot of soy. However, she realizes she should do more research.

Marni’s worried that too much soy might be a bad thing. She wonders if the hormones can affect her body in a negative way. Since Jessica is also unsure, the two friends decide to do more research about soy.

Do you like soy milk or food made from soy? Do you think it’s good or bad for your health?

Comments

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

It’s scientifically proved that soy products contain high level of plant protein and since human beings are herbivore animal, soy products are definitely good for people. Human beings are innately vegetarians. We can eat certain kind of vegetables raw but positively not with meat. Our whole body digest systems are made for digesting plants not raw meat. Since soy products are plant food, natural food resource for human begins, and contain high grade of plant protein, they are for sure beneficial to our health. 

01:13 PM Aug 26 2018 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

Hi dear Friends! I think all sort of dairy foods are useful to our health and many doctors, Scientists  encourage people to use dairy food as much as possible, But i propose not to eat the same food everyday whether its dairy food or different.

Regarding the soybeans, I only have eaten the cookies made by soybeans it was really delicious.

I have a question from all my mate who are in this group, How many times a day do you eat food ? Me three times , strong food at my breakfast, middle one for lunch and for dinner i use a soft food like soup,Macarony with fruits….And you ?

08:35 AM Aug 25 2018 |

1 person likes this

atifnaseri112

Afghanistan

Learning science for every person is important for men and women because it is without science that leads me to good and bad ways.

06:54 AM Aug 25 2018 |

1 person likes this

atifnaseri112

Afghanistan

my name is Atif i am form Afghanistan  I have bacholer dgree in economics i want to study English with the people 

06:42 AM Aug 25 2018 |

arly88

arly88

Cameroon

I’ve already eaten a kind of meat made by soy beans. at a fair. they bake it; i really appreciated it.

my mother used to make soy milk by herself when i was a child. she used to say that it was good for us to grow well; since most of us, me and my fellows didn’t like it. we preferred the well known taste of beaf milk.

and in my country there a soy juice : ¨RIVERR¨made with soy. it is the best for me now. i invite you to come and taste it. actually delicious.hummmmm

10:33 PM Aug 24 2018 |

inventive2

inventive2

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Soybeans is delicious and useful, but it is not very popular in Iran.
I think soybean is better for women because soybean has hormones for women.
My cousin just eats soy milk because she had nephrotic syndrome and her parents were trying hard to find soy milk.

07:44 AM Aug 24 2018 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

yes , i like soy milk. usually i make it myself for my family in the morning.

also, i buy tofu and make various tofu meals for them.  if the tofu is iced in a fridge, it will taste better when made into meals.

of cause, it is good for mankind. but some people may be allergic to soy products. and , it is said that it can’t be eaten with certain foods such as eggs, brown sugar, spinage and so on…also, i heard that the soy counld’t be eaten much a time, otherwise, it would be difficult to digest, especially for children in the evening.

02:43 AM Aug 24 2018 |

1 person likes this

toya0831

China

Soy milk tofu are very popular in China

we almost eat it every day

that is why China have to buy so many soybeans from USA

02:16 AM Aug 24 2018 |

1 person likes this

elahe100

elahe100

not at all.

I heard doctor recommend soy but I do

not like it

07:47 PM Aug 09 2014 |

1 person likes this

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

First of all, even though it’s mentioned by my friends but I want to emphasis that here is a voice problem which is created in this lesson and some others which did not allow me to download them. 

Meanwhile, although I’m not a big fan of those foods which soybeans are a main part of them but I like to eat from time to time. By the way, one of the most common kinds of these meals in Iran is “Dizi or Abgosht” which is a traditional food and all people in here are passionate interest in it including me. Aside from soybeans, I never take dairy away of my diet. Dairy is mandatory part of my every meal and there is no way for me to take it away. Never. 

04:05 PM Aug 01 2014 |

ricardom

ricardom

Mexico

I prefer to eat dairy food, I don’t know why but I don’t like soy products.

03:44 PM Jul 31 2014 |

1 person likes this

ttsuka

ttsuka

Japan

Of course too much soy is bad for you; “too much” of anything is bad by definition, silly.

01:50 PM Jul 31 2014 |

hitanaka

Japan

There are a lot of food  using soy in Japan. 

Deep-fried tofu, bean curd, ganmodoki, flour, green soybeans, edamame, bean curd skin, Freeze-dried tofu etc. 

I love all.

09:50 PM Jul 30 2014 |

1 person likes this

abdulhalimhasan

Syrian Arab Republic

there is a problem in hearing this lesson

01:56 PM Jul 30 2014 |

1 person likes this

ricomacaroni

China

drinking too much soy milk affects on one’s hormones and androgen.

01:52 PM Jul 30 2014 |

1 person likes this

Chikara129

Chikara129

Japan

Even if it’s good for our health, you shouldn’t eat same food every day.
I think that taking a balanced diet is the most important. :D

01:41 PM Jul 30 2014 |

2 people like this

samine_sh

samine_sh

my sister was vegeterian and she didn’t use animal product,even dairy and eggs. i remeber it wasn’t easy to find tufo and soy product fer her that time. thank god she forgets her diet

it is a good alternative, 

09:31 AM Jul 30 2014 |

1 person likes this

sara1234b

sara1234b

Hi there!The point is u have to be careful about the amount of food,water,vitamins u eat everyday. Being addicted to special food has harmful effects.As far as i know medical science is advancing more and more as time goes by and a lot of experiments are being carried out to see which foods are healthier.Who knows? One day u may find out that those ones are considered as healthiest foods are harmful.So the best way is being caution and dont eat more than u need.

08:35 AM Jul 30 2014 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

I don’t agree at all. Unless you are intolerant or allergic  to diary products I think that milk and dairy foods are the best, expecially for children growth.

The problem is always the same one, don’t overdone

06:48 AM Jul 30 2014 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

My Mom used to work for a local  Import& Export Company in Vietnam and her company  had exported a lot of soybeans to other countries. In my country, people use soybeans to make different kind of foods such as tofu, bean cake, soy milk,  sweet soy paste ..which is very delicious.  I love to drink soy milk as a substitute for dairy ,  and I also like to eat most kinds of food that are made from soy.

06:40 AM Jul 30 2014 |

2 people like this

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: