Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

A Dream Come True
A Dream Come True English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English with this wishing English lesson

Date: Sep 02 2014

Themes: Friend, Romance, Soap Opera, Work

Grammar: Be Able To

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When we sleep, ideas and thoughts sometimes come together as a dream. We have enjoyable dreams and scary dreams. Some are so crazy they’re difficult to believe, and others we forget as soon as we wake up. It’s possible to smell flowers or taste ice cream in a dream, or even to speak another language. Anything can happen in a dream!

People often dream about things that they wish will happen in their own lives. They might dream about getting the perfect job, traveling around the world, falling in love, or becoming famous. So when something excellent happens in a person’s life, sometimes they’ll say it’s a dream come true. Whatever has happened to them is something people dream about.

Something great is happening for Jessica, and she’s calling it a dream come true. What’s interesting is that the same great thing is Rafael’s dream come true, too. Want to learn more? Then read today’s English lesson!

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Gary

Gary

Jessica:  Yes, I mean it. Yes, I’m sure. We can sign the paperwork when you get back into town. I’m excited, too. OK. All right. See you then.

Gary:  Who was that?

Jessica:  It was Rafael. I have given it a lot of thought, and I have decided to sell my yoga business to him. He said it is a dream come true for him.

Gary:  I bet it is. He hasn’t had to work long hours and build it up from scratch.

Jessica:  No, he hasn’t.

Gary:  And Rafael hasn’t had to save up money over the years to be able to pay the rent on your yoga studio.

Jessica:  No, he didn’t, but…

Gary:  Not to mention all of the time that you spent trying to get people to come to your classes.

Jessica:  Just a minute. Do you own any part of my company?

Gary:  No, of course not.

Jessica:  Then why is this any of your business?

Gary:  I’m trying to help you think it through.

Jessica:  I don’t need your help. Besides, didn’t it occur to you that I’ve done that already?

Gary:  Look, Jess, we both know that you have a history of…

Jessica:  Oh, don’t even go there. You know, when I first got this internship, it was like a dream come true. But now? I’ll see you tomorrow.

Gary:  Looking forward to it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Be Able To" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica is sharing exciting news with Gary. She’s decided to sell her yoga studio to Rafael! She’s ready to stop teaching yoga, and she knows that it’s a dream come true for her friend to have his own business. It’s a good arrangement for both of them.

Gary reminds Jessica of all the things she did to make her business a success. She worked many hours and had to save a lot of money. Gary thinks that Jessica hasn’t really thought carefully about her decision to sell the studio.

Jessica doesn’t appreciate Gary’s comments, though. She already thought about her decision a lot. And besides, it’s not appropriate for him to say this stuff to her when they don’t own the business together. Gary also starts to talk about Jessica’s past, and that makes her extra angry. It’s not helpful, and it makes her doubt if the internship at StarScoop.com was a good idea.

Is it fair for Jessica to be angry with Gary? Do you have anyone in your life who always tells you what to do?

Comments

Jenyns

Pakistan

Lesson of the English on the themes of the morality and for the activities of the likewise matters. The lesson and English personified is the worthy and informed. Established nature of essay-on-time review is very important and widely informed and highlighted.

06:11 PM Jul 29 2016 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

Instead of Jessica, Gary’s behavior is full of negative. We can only wish her good luck and catch on her dream. 

09:54 AM May 07 2015 |

faisal abdo

Sudan

we hope all good things will be ture dream

12:45 PM Sep 10 2014 |

faisal abdo

Sudan

we hope all good thing will be ture dream

12:42 PM Sep 10 2014 |

Emily4

Emily4

China

Everyone lives for a reason,responsability,dream,dignity,belief or love.We struggled hardly for what we live for.Sometimes life didn’t turn out to be the way as we expect,but we still need to make it through.When our dream comes true,we feel the joy of success.Life is meaningful then.Dream is just like a light showing the way where we go.I hope everyone’s dream can come true as long as you put your heart into it.If dream knock on your door,please never let it go.

04:20 AM Sep 04 2014 |

sunny_ling88

China

It is important to accept suggestion from friends. Everyone have a dream but sometimes it is not actual, we have to consider a lot of things relate to it before your dream come ture, so I believe this sentence “Go after what you want, even though you may not believe that it is possible.”, as long as you try to do your best the dream will come ture.

02:28 AM Sep 04 2014 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Am just waiting for a dream come true in my own life. That lasts !!!!

07:26 PM Sep 02 2014 |

3 people like this

Mohamed_1990

Egypt

“getting the perfect job” this is my dream

03:09 PM Sep 02 2014 |

etmln

etmln

Mongolia

I guess Gary wants her to help from his heart. he worry about how if her decision would wrong. Maybe he loves her. But she doesnt know his feelings about her.

03:07 PM Sep 02 2014 |

BeboScreen

Egypt

• “What ever you believe you could achieve”, I don’t remember this saying for whom but it’s really correct that when you have a vision and beleiving in God, people around you and youself, for sure your dream can comes true.

01:10 PM Sep 02 2014 |

chimooo

chimooo

Morocco

if you wanat make your dream weak up 

12:01 PM Sep 02 2014 |

3 people like this

Nayer

Nayer

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Seiyf_Khaw,

Thank you for your correcting or should I say thank you for your correction?

I do not know which is correct but i know I have to say thank you for the time that you took to help me out.

Really thanks

Nayer

11:53 AM Sep 02 2014 |

2 people like this

mahi7

mahi7

i think there is some steps to make ur dream come true

at first we have to be capable & strong ,then believe in our selves

after that we can turn our dreams in to a plan and turn the plan in to reality

10:39 AM Sep 02 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

dreams are reflection of a whole life ..

10:05 AM Sep 02 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

Nayer...

’A dream come true’ means ‘a dream which has come true’. This adjectival use of the past parpiciple of ‘come’ is restricted to set phrases such as this.shortly, “which has ” isnt used ..and it becomes ” a dream come true

10:03 AM Sep 02 2014 |

Nayer

Nayer

Why is “Dream come true.” not “Dream comes true”?

09:34 AM Sep 02 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

yes sometimes you dont like anybody’s interference in your work. obviously if you have decided something then you must have given lot of thought. 

07:11 AM Sep 02 2014 |

2 people like this

hamid123

hamid123

Algeria

some times it is more interested to listen the others .. if we want to do some thing good … listen think after that .. we will find the choice to choose..

05:53 AM Sep 02 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

OMG! That’s awkward!!! It was the best choice for Jess dumped you, Gary!

Just think about it! Man 

04:18 AM Sep 02 2014 |

3 people like this

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina