Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Love at First Sight
Love at First Sight

Learn English with this 'love at first sight' English lesson

Date: Oct 16 2019

Themes: Family, Romance

Grammar: There, Their & They're

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s possible that two people could look at each other and decide that they’re perfect for one another. It happens in books and movies, but it also happens in the real world. But what does it mean when these people don’t actually know each other? Is it really love at first sight, or is it the science of what makes us see each other as beautiful?

The truth is that it’s probably all about hormones. But that doesn’t stop people from looking, sometimes their whole lives, for the person they believe to be their soulmate. Taking it further, many people believe that it’s fate or destiny that will help them to find that perfect person. It might sound crazy, but it’s certainly a dream that brings comfort to a lot of people.

Do Marni and Rafael buy into the belief in love at first sight? Learn more by reading today’s English lesson about romance.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Rafael

Rafael

Marni:  Just the other day, I was looking at my wonderful husband and thinking, I just… really I fell in love with him at first sight. Do you believe in that stuff?

Rafael:  I think when you buy into that stuff too much, someone’s going to get hurt.

Marni:  How? Oh, gosh. You’re such a pessimist. I just believe that there’s somebody out there for everybody. It’s your fate to meet your soulmate. And they’re there for you. You just have to find them.

Rafael:  Marni, it’s doomed.

Marni:  Come on. Really? You don’t think your destiny is to meet some wonderful woman or man… whatever your preference may be… and they’re out there for you. The course of your life will just take you there. You know? You’ll find them.

Rafael:  Yeah, you can tell yourself that. Or you can realize, after the third failed relationship, that it’s all so temporary.

Marni:  I think there’s a once in a lifetime opportunity out there for you, just to meet the person that’s so right for you. It’s going to happen. I believe it.

Rafael:  Sure.

Marni:  I’m living proof.

Rafael:  All right.

Marni:  Don’t hate me.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "There, Their & They're" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni tells Rafael something personal, which is that she fell in love with her husband at first sight. Every time she looks at him, she remembers how it felt. Marni believes that it can happen for everyone, and that someone perfect is waiting for Rafael.

Rafael believes the opposite of Marni. He’s a pessimist when talking about love, because his recent relationships didn’t work out. Rafael wants to be realistic about love because if he doesn’t hope too much, then he won’t feel pain. But Marni tries to change his mind. She wants Rafael to be as happy as she is.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Has it happened to you?

Comments

houda111

Morocco

falling in love at first sight is a living proof with some of myfriendsbut did not happen with me.For me love comes with time and love between husband and wife generates from respecting each other being faithfull to each other caring for and sharing with each other;I am full of love and sweet feelings but still can’t find a good person to inundate him ith my love .

03:31 PM Nov 10 2019 |

Vijay13

Vijay13Super Member!

India

Yes, I am very much in favour of “Love at first sight” but at the same time you should be matured enough to understand the responsibilities lying hidden in this phrase. If you are financially and mentally strong enough than there could not be anything better than love at first sight. It will make you complete and happly throughout the life. 

It happed to me but unfortunately I was not in a position to express my feelings and for that mistake I still regret even after 26 years of my marriage.

03:21 PM Sep 28 2018 |

1 person likes this

jessicataylor

Russian Federation

The way it has been organized is awesome. First listening and then reading the same thing will give you an overall idea of learning the language.

06:52 AM Aug 05 2016 |

1 person likes this

miladsq

miladsq

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

it’s a kind of luck,but belive in it .because i find my love at first sight. you can be lucky or …....!you can have an experience

12:05 PM May 05 2015 |

1 person likes this

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

I do not believe in love at first sight because I believe in love with you at every sight.

02:39 PM Nov 01 2014 |

1 person likes this

a_flower_4u

Morocco

would some one please tell me what love is, well if you ever come to meet him, please say hello to love cause i really miss him

10:37 PM Oct 28 2014 |

1 person likes this

albasel1975

Germany

Love at first sight is not easy to explain. Some people even deny that it is possible claiming it is merely sexual or physical attraction. Indeed, how can we fall profoundly in love after one quick glance? How can such a glance make us believe that we want to spend the rest of our life in the arms of a stranger we have just seen for the first time?... That also brings us back to a simple question : what is the diffeence between ” Love ” and ” Admiration ” ?

02:46 PM Oct 08 2014 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

First impression is important , but ” Love at first sight” I am not sure because “easy comes, easy goes”. I believe that love should be built on the basis of mutual trust and understanding. It’s not good to maintain a relationship when you have no more trust on the other.

07:33 AM Oct 07 2014 |

max1983max

max1983max

Germany

Do you believe in love at first sight?
No, – he says.
Then look at me again, – she says.

04:17 PM Oct 06 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

It’s very hard to give a definite response to this question. Indeed, Bcz I’ve seen some couples married with their first sight of love together But on the other hand I can see lots of perfect girls around me who are very suit for me however I don’t fall in love with them. It seems silly to go around and search for your soul mate. Picture it. No, Picture it, U go everywhere and every day to find out your suitable soul mate.!!!! It might sounds crazy but in my idea love in first sight exists and it happens practically but mostly it’s not true kind of love it’s something about your believes about the appearance of your future mate and which bring love with itself along with some hormones injected in your body and several biological reactions. 

Anyway, I wish I find my suitable mate still and hope I fall in love with first sight at first and find her deeply perfect to me then I think it’ll enhance my love much more than before. 

02:42 PM Oct 05 2014 |

roze1997

roze1997

In my idea love means a special relation between God and humans … which we have sth like that between mother & children …

most of the love between men & women is all about the hormones  and most of times it is the main reason

In my idea love between gender humans is sth like addiction or habit (Social societies ) !! but I dont know why most of people thinks its more important that other kinds

love at first sight can not be true and it is just a normal attraction and nothing else … falling in love takes time … because we know that person during time then we love him/her because of his/herself and when we search for a reason we can not find any!!!

and in my opinion :

it is not important who is you first love, it is important who is your last love

because he/she will be the last reason for rest of your life

I believe in fate but I think we can change fate because GOD is listening to us

I wish you an eternal love :)

Good Luck

ROZE

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

I believe LOVE exists .at first or second sight ,no matter…:)

“Fall in love with someone who wants you, who waits for you, who understands you. Someone who helps you, and guides you, someone who is your support, your hope. Fall in love with someone who talks with you after a fight. Fall in love with someone who misses you and wants to be with you. Do not fall in love only with a body or with a face; or with the idea of being in love”

~Unknown

12:08 AM Oct 02 2014 |

Sony  ;)

Sony ;)

Argentina

I think it’s not love, maybe could be attraction .. Because love is not only appearance 

09:05 PM Oct 01 2014 |

Olivine

Olivine

Indonesia

Love at first sight, from the eyes into the heart. Sounds sweet and when it appears in the movie, it looks really romantic. Hard to believe but beautiful

05:03 PM Oct 01 2014 |

valencia irene yunita

Indonesia

nice tittle :D

04:44 PM Oct 01 2014 |

2 people like this

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

Love is something strong we feel for someone ,but love for first site can’t be in my opinion it’s just a normal attraction for someone you like and you can say that it’s the first step leading to love so love i think comes after a long relationship not just first site.

03:51 PM Oct 01 2014 |

meysam66

meysam66

i agree with alistesna. this kind of “falling in love” happens in teenagers.

01:48 PM Oct 01 2014 |

2 people like this

alistesna

alistesna

i dont believe it , Love at first sight is really childish ,Usually happens to teenagers , Because they came 2 maturity

10:02 AM Oct 01 2014 |

Pieterwindmill

Netherlands

Hopefully Love at first sight exist!! :)

08:41 AM Oct 01 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

yup i really believe in love at first sight. i still not sure, though is it really love or just infactuation which attracts you or  makes you to meet that person again and again. 

it always happens with me whenever i see a beautiful girl i am like yes she is the one but in few minutes she gets vanished. bad luck ;)

08:36 AM Oct 01 2014 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast