Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

reach for the stars

reach for the stars

Date: May 28 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I’m a dreamer. I have to dream and reach for the stars.”

Professional boxer Mike Tyson, speaking about trying to finish difficult goals. (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

have high or difficult goals

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

In 1903, the Wright brothers were the first people to fly an airplane. At that time, most people thought it was impossible to fly, but the Wright brothers had a dream. They made high goals, and worked hard until they reached them. Now, we can fly all over the world, because the Wright brothers were not scared to reach for the stars.

To reach for the stars means to try to do something that is very hard. Big inventions, like telephones and cars, are now available to everyone because the first person to make them was not scared to fail. They worked hard and reached for the stars. Nothing is impossible if you try hard enough.

Boxer Mike Tyson believes everyone should reach for the stars. He thinks that people can do things that seem impossible. They just have to try hard and reach for the stars.

Do you try to reach for the stars? What is a big goal of yours?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My son is going to become a doctor. He has always reached for the stars.”

“If you reach for the stars, you can be anything you want to be.”

“Jim is successful because he reaches for the stars.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

aijaciba To do something very challenging
by aijaciba
a2020 Get difficult goals that seem impossible.
by a2020
Almond_L To make your dream come ture.
by Almond_L
jeeno Have high hopes and try to achieve something difficult and Don't let anything stop you from achieving your dreams.
by jeeno
Talia Do aiming to achieve great thing, or do something very challenging.
by Talia Do

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

If you have enough passion on what you work for – definetely you are gonna reach for the stars

08:29 PM Oct 16 2015 |

shararsh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hi every body. one of my big goals is to speak  english fluently. i really hope one day i can reach for the stars . practice practice and practice

09:33 AM Jun 03 2015 |

pasant

Egypt

I hope I can reach for the stars one day. It is not difficult but it needs too much effort and detemination.

11:02 PM Jun 01 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

S11211s, goals stay the same, I think, they just take a different shape. And it’s good, that means we evolve. The core is the same. But instead of ambitious project, we’ve changed the same goal into more attainable, more useful. But I believe, goals can be reached at any age.

It’s so funny- if we take literally “reach for the stars” – a bunch of Hollywood stars are sitting there in space. And we, eathlings,  are slowly flying with the reaching hand . Then after reaching there,  we say, “oh, it’s so cold in here, I’d better go down to Earth, it’s much more happier and funnier there” :) – live simple!

05:29 PM May 28 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

As a human being I had a bunch of dreams! Gradually I thought dreams are different from goals! I thought I need some goal to reach, my dreams are very big and my life may doesn’t enough to reach and maybe they need millions of people life for decades to achieve!

Having a peaceful world without war, bleeding, Incurable diseases, racism, poverty and traveling very fast, at speed of light and living in a world without environmental pollution are my dreams! They are just my dreams and your dreams! But our goals could be doing best what we are doing.

There is an interesting and sad point about most people: when we are young our goals are very big and we live in dreams and when we gradually become older our goals are going to be small and smaller and also we live in reality!

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Thank you, dear Julito, Mahtab and Oluna for your meaningful words. I’m happy to be among such wonderful people. 

03:27 PM May 28 2015 |

Naveen Singh Shahi

India

Eveyone thinking can be reach for the stars.

Oluna

Oluna

Russian Federation

Shoba,

That’s great to be a mother and raising children:) I think no matter what our goal is…big or small…family or career…if it’s our desire it’s our star we reach for

ola33

ola33

Japan

It’s nice and ego driven to reach for the stars. You’re respected in the society, looks like your life wasn’t in vain, like Mike Tysons one with a heck of achievements :) But not everybody like Mike Tyson ! Life is so busy and hectic that in working your fingers to the bone, we just only think about a good 5 hour sleep, taking a short break and then again to work. So I don’t know when to carve the time for a long desired goal. But let’s be positive and set the goal to stay human, humble, respectful to each other in this highy competitive dog-eat-dog world!

julito1

julito1

Argentina

I have never set high goals in my life . In my youth i thought that happiness is getting a 9 to 5 job and i did . Without diplomas  i only was offered  minimum wage salaries , the stars were up , up in the sky and if i ever looked up  was thinking that  maybe my father`s soul was  one of them.Now looking back i feel that i was fortunate , i have no doubt that i was born under a auspicious star , eventually my life took a turn for the best , i am quite happy as it is . i agree with our dear Mahtab when she  talks about Shoba , being a mother of two  is a blessing , i am sure that Shoba is a shining star guiding her children to accomplish their dreams.

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

If you reach for the stars you can do what ever.

trab770

trab770

Turkey

you dont need to try harder,you need to make it easier to try.maybe..

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

millions years ago, human beings were alone,weak,defenceless against to outer enemies and natural effects..their senses and bodies were inadequte to huge animals..and Human being’s story started in the caves ..they had only an unbelievable mind and dreams .

they dreamed and worked for making their dreams to come true for centuries..

whatever we have today, we owe these people’s dreams and works ..these dreams are ” reach for the stars” for them ..and they succeed .

also you can reach for the stars …also you can make your dreams true ..at least you can try it …

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Dear Shoba!

Being as a mother of two children and raising them to be successful persons is wonderful!

You have already reached for the stras and you will! :-)

I think its not important how much our goals are big!

Being the best in everything you do and loving what you do are the most important things in everyone’s life!

“BE THE BEST OF YOU

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

When I was small my father said that I should dream big, set high goals and reach for the stars. 

But instead of dreaming big and striving to do the impossible, I dreamed about our Indian movie stars, got distracted and ended up as a mother of two children.  

I think I’ll have to do this “reaching for the stars” task in my next birth. 

Oluna

Oluna

Russian Federation

Reach for the stars..sounds so beautiful. Really we need to work hard for reaching our goals. You can’t see the whole process of it from the first time. But if you try to make first step you can see next steps and move on eventually. Great success happens not at the moment… hard work is hidden behind that. I think belief in yourself and a lot of interest in what you are doing is the best force in reaching for the dreams :)

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

We are now reaching for the stars for real, I mean we, humanbeings. We are exploring the universe, sending space carafts to the edge of our Solar System. We haven’t reached the even closest neighbour star of our but we are reaching for it. 

It amazes me how our knowledge about our home and our universe has chaged in a life time. We learn a new fact everyday, we see places we had never seen before. It’s all because our race reaching for the stars.

nasrin jojo

great,it was fantastic .

infact,everyone should try hard to reach difficult goals ,imposible.is imposible! I have big goal to.improve my job occasion and because of it ,i try so hard and sometimes ignore from my small and less value things  to finish it .

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast