Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Backpacking
Backpacking

Learn English meaning of ‘backpacking’

Date: Mar 10 2020

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever thought of leaving it all behind? Have you ever taken a vacation and packed only one backpack full of clothes? People all over the world love backpacking! All you need is clothing, some food, and you are ready to dive in!

Backpacking is the perfect way to travel if you want to visit many cities while only carrying a few things. You have the potential of meeting new people, while staying at hostels and hiking in new places. You have to remember to bring a couple of changes of clothing, or you will become very stinky!

Brian and Andy are talking about backpacking. Find out what they think in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Brian

Brian

Andy_H:  So, Brian, I am a scout, and I’ve done lots of hiking, but I haven’t really gone to what most people would call backpacking, you know? Picking everything up, living out of your suitcase for months at a time. Have you had any experience doing that?

Brian:  You know, I did do that. It wasn’t necessarily hiking in the wild. But I took a backpacking trip across Europe. So, I basically had just my backpack, all of my belongings, a couple of changes of clothing. And I would stay at youth hostels, I would check into a couple of hotels where I couldn’t find a hostel. I didn’t think I’d like it. I’m pretty particular. But it ended up being my dream vacation.

Andy_H:  I bet you were really stinky.

Brian:  You know all the hostels had showers, I kept myself very clean. The potential for meeting new people was amazing. Being in Ireland and just meeting residents and other travelers from Canada, from India…just a whole, huge community of people living in one hostel and getting to know each other and sharing groceries… it was really fascinating.

Andy_H:  But didn’t the language barrier scare you? I just have these nightmares of walking in and seeing maybe some students from China or Germany, and them just laughing at me because I’m an American who can only speak English.

Brian:  That is definitely a possibility, but it’s one of those things where you just have to dive in and be gracious, and hopefully, those people will be gracious with you, too.

Andy_H:  Well, I don’t know, maybe I’ll give it a try. But I do enjoy my own shower.

Brian:  A quick tip is that you can always bring your laptop and Skype with friends, so that way you still get the comforts of home

Andy_H:  All right.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy is asking Brian about backpacking. He has done lots of hiking but hasn’t tried backpacking yet. He asks Brian if the language barrier scared him. Andy admits he had nightmares about other people laughing at him because he only speaks English.

Brian tells Andy about his backpacking trip across Europe. He tells Andy how he stayed at youth hostels and met travelers from Canada, India, and a whole community of people staying at the hostels. He loved meeting new people and sharing his culture. He tells Andy to Skype with friends next time he goes backpacking so he can still get the comforts of home.

Have you ever been backpacking? Where would you go?

Comments

wannicho

wannicho

China

Never tired Backpacking, not sure if it’s my thing.

07:47 AM Mar 23 2020 |

1 person likes this

Djana

Djana

Algeria

Unfortunately no :/ but it’s sth i ‘m planning to do,because i find it very interesting and quite amazing,to visit new places and meet new and different people from various nationalities,it would be so exciting!

06:57 PM Mar 10 2016 |

1 person likes this

huiyan688

China

i have a friend who experienced a backpacking in the United States a couple years ago. he lived in youth hostels, took trains, recharged phone and computer in starbucks.

01:50 PM Mar 10 2016 |

1 person likes this

MehmetKaragul

Turkey

I love backpacking. I am planning to go backpacking around Turkey this sumer and explore he cities I haven’t explored yet and next year to Europe. :)

05:12 PM Mar 09 2016 |

neiezis

neiezis

Russian Federation

pee on you all

01:32 PM Mar 09 2016 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I was backpacking in Crimea when it belonged to Ukraine. It was so fascinating, the dream vacation. We were sleeping on the beach and the starry sky was our tent. The food in cans was our cakes and pastries. We enjoyed it but sometimes we had just to dive in to overcome the challenges.

04:37 AM Mar 09 2016 |

sireeshasiree77

India

No, I never had a backpacking till now, But i wanna go to USA, since childhood i thought of seeing about niagara falls in USA.but till now not got a chance to go..im eagarily waiting for that chance…I like world tour..its my long cherished wish…if i vl get a chance i vl go with backpacking..

04:28 AM Mar 09 2016 |

1 person likes this

MotherEarth

Canada

I have had a backpacking in rest of my life , and still all my clothes are inside luggage .
It was big journey that ever had .
To me , I like to take vacation and preparation all things that I need .
We should very be careful if you forget something to bring your self , presumably you will miss them for certain time .

03:30 AM Mar 09 2016 |

andrespretty2

Colombia

No, I never had.

I’d like to go to Russia.

03:26 AM Mar 09 2016 |

1 person likes this

joao correia

Brazil

I never ever had a backpacking yet, but I want so much to do it soon.

I’d like to go for many countries like all Europe and others.

02:38 AM Mar 09 2016 |

1 person likes this

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: