Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

go cold turkey

go cold turkey

Date: Nov 26 2020

Themes: Celebrity, Health

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“The smartest thing I did was to stop going online. I’m the sort of person who will just look for the negative… and with my bipolar thing, that’s poison. So I just stopped. Cold turkey. And it’s so liberating.”

Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones talking about her addiction to reading internet gossip about herself (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

suddenly quit or stop addictive behavior such as smoking

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Is there something you do everyday that you wish you could stop doing? A lot of people want to stop smoking but are addicted to the chemicals inside cigarettes. People are also addicted to smoking with other people for fun when they take a break from work or school. It is hard for them to stop suddenly. Other people are strong enough to go cold turkey and give up cigarettes in one day!

To go cold turkey means to stop doing something suddenly. Let’s say you wanted to lose some weight for the summer. You could go cold turkey and stop eating candy and chocolates. When you go cold turkey you don’t need help to stop. You just stop doing it without a second thought.

Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones had to go cold turkey because she was reading Internet gossip about herself everyday. This addiction to the Internet was making her feel sad, so she stopped suddenly. Now, she feels happier!

Have you ever gone cold turkey?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I want to go cold turkey, and stop smoking today!”

“Mike went cold turkey, and stopped eating candy everyday after he got a toothache.”

“It is hard to go cold turkey, but I need to stop drinking soda! It is unhealthy!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

When you stop doing something all at once and suddenly.
by La Princesse de la vie
julito1 to quit on the spot.
by julito1

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ml2000

ml2000Super Member!

Canada

She felt happier because of stopping reading negative comments of herself on internet, which has nothing to do with browing webpages on internet.   

09:15 PM Nov 30 2020 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

Ola, that is great! I wish I could do the same.

12:33 AM Jun 09 2016 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

To go cold turkey is easy if you have enough willpower.

01:15 PM Jun 01 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

I used to buy lots of marzipan bars until recently. I don’t know why I stopped eating them and all the other sweets completely. One day it will come. But today ate a very interesting mushroom desert. It wasn’t too sweet, it was just delicious.

02:42 AM May 25 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

Statisy I’m the opposite. Went cold turkey for sweets. Probably because it’s a trend right now. But used to be the sweetest tooth :))

01:31 AM May 16 2016 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

Several  years ago I went cold turkey, and stopped eating after six o’clock of the evening.  I am strictly following this rule now , but my  numerous attemps  to became a vegetarian or to  refuse  sweet foods  were failed. 

08:16 PM May 15 2016 |

1 person likes this

simon24

simon24

Turkey

I live in Turkey :D

01:42 PM May 03 2016 |

lira_

lira_

Russian Federation

Ohh, I wish I could go cold turkey and stop eating chocolates and other junk food… I am so addicted to sweets, this is really hard for me to stop. Well, I am not overweight or anything but I need to become more fit for the summer anyway… Why can’t we just eat anything and not gain any weight :c

And also there’s another thing I have to quit doing. I spend way too much time on the Internet or playing computer games. This is so frustrating! I really need to go cold turkey but it just seems impossible to stop doing this…

03:51 PM Apr 29 2016 |

buttafly

buttafly

Germany

Yep, many years ago I decided to quit facebook cold turkey. Very liberating!!! Never regreted giving up the short love affair with this particular network.

From one day to the next I also decided to take time off from English,baby!! I admit I missed the site. Not at first because there was too much going on in my life. Once things calmed down and I got back on track, I ended my sabbatical leave. Even though the globe kept on spinning, in my heart I never forgot the people, friends and learners on this incredible site :)

06:40 AM Apr 29 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

Go cold turkey is hard. It’s litterally to say no to your old habits that ingrained into you mind and now you gotta leave without them. It takes some time to go a new path and stick to it. There’re some self-help books and they’re good to got with. Otherwise it should be a very strong incentive to say no. It happened to me several times about which I prefer not to share.

05:11 PM Apr 28 2016 |

1 person likes this

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

yes,i went cold turkey about 30 years ago when i stopped smoking.

03:29 PM Apr 28 2016 |

1 person likes this

zhuxiaohui

zhuxiaohui

China

quit bad behavior quickly,adjust to correct direction

01:52 AM Apr 28 2016 |

1 person likes this

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook