Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

flack

flack

Date: Sep 29 2016

Themes: Celebrity, Fashion, Music, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Sometimes, I’ll wear something and think, I’m going to get so much flack for this tomorrow, but if I want to wear it, I will.”

—Singer Rihanna, talking about her fashion (ELLE)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

criticism

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

If you are like most of us, you may not always agree with others’ opinions about your life. For example, maybe, your parents want to you become a scientist, but you are more interested in going to cooking school. Or perhaps, your friends don’t approve of your new boyfriend or girlfriend. Maybe, your brother doesn’t like your choice of music. You might even fight with your significant other about what TV show to watch! Criticism can be hard to deal with, but remember: It’s impossible to please everyone! Every now and then, you’re sure to get some flack, even from the people you love.

If someone gives you flack, that means that they criticize you or your choices. You might get flack from your parents for going to a party instead of doing your homework. Your friends might give you flack for listening to Justin Bieber all the time. Your boss might give you flack for being late to work. Pop star Rihanna is famous for wearing scandalous clothing, and people give her a lot of flack about it! However, Rihanna is confident about her choices, and she wears whatever she wants. She is not concerned about other people’s opinions.

Does anyone in your life give you a lot of flack?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I got some flack at work for spending a whole month on vacation.”

“My roommate always gives me flack for listening to Country music.”

“I got a lot of flack from my parents after I dropped out of college.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

criticism.
by La Princesse de la vie
julito1 Criticism....
by julito1
a2020 Joke.
by a2020
Olivine Mocking
by Olivine

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

stunnea1234

Azerbaijan

I’m not a big fan of conversation nigh the grouping I fit or the the things I do with them; it feels equal a wrongdoing of what they’ve been promised in the transfer, which is appreciation. Rodrigo

09:41 PM Oct 06 2017 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

I was having a long hear style and I’d got plenty of flack that time. But the more people around were telling me to change it the more I was sure I shoudn’t ;)

12:23 PM Feb 14 2017 |

CiciCh

CiciCh

China

Impossible to please everyone, dus no need to worry or care abt those flasks.

10:13 AM Dec 08 2016 |

abdullah201933

Saudi Arabia

Yes i got flack actually everyone gets flack when they doing mistake or dislike things however keep ignoring even they can not hurt ur heaert (:

10:34 AM Sep 29 2016 |

maziza

maziza

Austria

Oh yesss! I got so much flack from my parents when I quit my job to study psychology :)

08:50 AM Sep 29 2016 |

hermitlady

China

Yes. There was only one person who gave me some flack. That was my father. I only remember this one.

It is strange that in my life (actually in everyone ‘s life)there should be some ones who had given me a lot of flack. But I had forgotten others.

02:00 AM Sep 29 2016 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast