Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Benedict Cumberbatch
Benedict Cumberbatch

Learn English meaning of 'Benedict Cumberbatch'

Date: Mar 03 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Hobbies

Grammar: Reflexive Pronouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Benedict Cumberbatch is everywhere. This famous actor has been in many popular movies. He is tall and handsome, and he has a British accent. He does a good job at playing an evil man, like he did in a Star Trek movie. His acting career is so prolific, that some people think he has taken over Hollywood.

Maybe, you saw Cumberbatch on TV as Sherlock Holmes. As this famous crime stopper, he and his assistant Watson detect evil criminals together. Or perhaps, you became a fan after watching Doctor Strange. In this movie, he had to portray a depressed doctor who saves the world. Cumberbatch has many female fans. A Cumberbabe is a babe who loves Cumberbatch. But sorry, ladies! He’s a married man.

Romeo is not exactly in awe of Benedict Cumberbatch. In fact, he’s not totally sure who this actor is. Listen to this English lesson as Marni tells Romeo why she’s a Cumberbabe.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Romeo

Romeo

Marni:  You know who I’m a huge fan of, Romeo? I just think he’s the best actor ever.

Romeo:  Uh… Denzel Washington?

Marni:  He’s good, but he’s no Benedict Cumberbatch.

Romeo:  Cumber-what?

Marni:  Cumberbatch!

Romeo:  Cumber-buns?

Marni:  No, Benedict Cumberbatch, the most English name ever. He was in the BBC remake of…. I’m blanking… of Sherlock Holmes. Did you see those?

Romeo:  Elementary, my dear Watson.

Marni:  Yes, he was amazing. He just did Doctor Strange.

Romeo:  Oh, that’s who was playing?

Marni:  Yeah.

Romeo:  Yeah, that guy was good. I was in awe.

Marni:  Was that your first experience seeing him?

Romeo:  Yeah, I didn’t even detect an accent, didn’t know he was British.

Marni:  He’s in every movie now. He’s kind-of, like, taken over, but he’s so talented and he’s had a pretty prolific career. He can portray an evil genius really well and he’s just fascinating. His accent… it does something to me. I consider myself a Cumberbabe.

Romeo:  What?

Marni:  A Cumberbabe. Totally into him.

Romeo:  A Cumber-what? Babe? I thought you said his name was Cumberback.

Marni:  Cumberbatch. You really need to get into the lingo.

Romeo:  Well, what does it take to be a Cumberbabe?

Marni:  Uh, being a babe.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Reflexive Pronouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is a total Cumberbabe. She’s in awe of the British actor Benedict Cumberbatch. She thinks he’s an interesting guy, and she could listen to his accent all day long. Because he can portray so many different kinds of people, he has a prolific acting career.

Romeo, on the other hand, doesn’t know much about Benedict Cumberbatch. He even has trouble saying the actor’s last name. Romeo did watch Cumberbatch playing a superhero in the movie Doctor Strange. He’s surprised that he didn’t detect Cumberbatch’s accent at all.

Are you a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch? Who do you want to see playing Sherlock Holmes in the future?

Comments

Slavic miracle

Russian Federation

Hi!

I think that Benedict had taken over Hollywood after his role in Sherlock Homes. It was really great playing and I was in awe of this TV series. His British accent, timbre, aristocratic manners help him to have a prolific career.

My favorite film is Imitation game where he portrays a great mathematician and cryptograther Alan Turing.

And it’s very popular joke that his fans call themselves Bumberbitches :D

03:58 PM Mar 05 2017 |

Doanthinh

Doanthinh

Viet Nam

I’ve heard about him in the 1st time.

01:07 PM Mar 04 2017 |

irishKa

irishKa

Russian Federation

to tell the truth, the first time I watched the first series of Sherlock I wasn’t impressed at all! the second time as well. Only the third time when I watched all the three series I really became “SherLocked” (if you understand what I’m talking about=))

06:28 PM Mar 03 2017 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

It’s the first time I hear about this actor :p

10:05 AM Mar 03 2017 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace