Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Adulting
Adulting

Learn about 'Adulting' in this English lesson

Date: Apr 03 2017

Themes: Alternative, Pop Culture

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Growing up can be difficult. Not only do you have to find a job and a place to live, you also have to deal with many everyday tasks like washing your dishes, doing your laundry, and paying your bills. For some millenials, all of these extra tasks can be stressfull. Young people are used to having help from their parents. They may even be used their parents cooking, cleaning, and paying their bills for them. They don’t like doing all the extra work of being a grown-up. They call it adulting.

The expression adulting refers to the full-time job of being an adult. Some millenials hate adulting. They feel overwhelmed by all the responsibilities of being a grown-up. They don’t know how to buy a house or save money. They might be worried about the future. However, other people do not identify with millenials. These people are used to taking care of themselves. They think millenials should stop complaining.

Andy has had a tough day. Listen to him and Romeo talk about adulting.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Romeo

Romeo

Andy_H:  Man, Romeo, I have had such a long day. I had to go to the DMV, I had to go to work, and then I had to do my laundry. It’s been, like, the longest day of adulting.

Romeo:  So, you mean you had to grow up?

Andy_H:  Well, I had to do grown-up tasks that made me feel more responsible, I guess. I don’t know, from my point of view it just seems like every day that you have to grow up a little, it’s just a little bit harder to feel like you’re turning into your parents. You’re not just living in your mom’s basement anymore. You have to worry about putting money into your 401K... some of my friends are figuring out their mortgages... you know, adulting is tough.

Romeo:  Yeah, it doesn’t matter how you make it sound. I’m still not going to see your point of view.

Andy_H:  Well, I guess you just don’t identify with us cool, hip millenials.

Romeo:  ...that live in your mom’s basement!

Andy_H:  Calm down, dude.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy has had a long day. He had to go to the DMV, go to work, and do his laundry. He feels like his day has been full of adulting. Andy has a difficult time adulting. Every day, he feels like he has to grow up a little bit more. He can’t just live in his mom’s basement anymore. However, Andy also feels like he is not as responsible as some of his friends. He is worried about his 401K, and he has not started buying a house or figuring out a mortgage.

Romeo does not identify with what Andy is talking about. He says that nothing Andy can say will change his mind. Romeo does not have much in common with millennials.

Do you think adulting is hard? Do you own your own house or apartment?

Comments

hotro

Viet Nam

FOR ME, SINCE i merried, i have to deal with a lot of thing, all most time with my wife, i do not know how to deal with that. I think a lot of Married man know that.

04:01 AM May 14 2017 |

thenewonder

Mexico

Growing up as a millennial is so hard, I feel iike, lot of older people do not undesrstand what we face because times were different, they didn’t change so fast, which gives them lot of advatanges.

08:32 PM Apr 03 2017 |

1 person likes this

chelalita

Argentina

hi 

03:39 PM Apr 03 2017 |

1 person likes this

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

Adult mean do responsable all day to own life.

Indoor the house on the Street at work at school .

Every day the life we put in front a many difficulty and you must ready  to overcome they

03:06 PM Apr 03 2017 |

Jeckily

Jeckily

Serbia and Montenegro

Adulting is a period of life that we all have to face with, sooner or later. Through adulting we all begin to appreciate more our parents for everything they did for us and they are still doing. It is a period in which we begin to face with normal lifes obligations… Yes it is tough and very stressfull, but we all just need time to get into it … We actually do not know how strong and capable we are untill we start lifere separate from our parents..

01:49 PM Apr 03 2017 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

Adulting is a period of life for people…its nice to have it with good friends and in a lovely family..

life needs to be run always, when in our childhood, freely run ,happily,in the gardens,fields,roads,...when we grew up ,again we are running with different responsibilities, with stress,in the workplaces,houses,offices,..

ı didnt want to grew up , ))) 

08:50 AM Apr 03 2017 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: