Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Be Upfront
Be Upfront English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘be upfront’

Date: Nov 28 2017

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Conjunctions

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Honesty is the best policy. If you are being questioned by a Police Chief or sergeant, you should definitely be honest. You should be honest with your parents and your spouse, in case they are professionally trained lie detectors. You should also be upfront with your boss about your work experience. You wouldn’t want to be stuck in a job that you don’t know how to do.

To be upfront with someone means that you are very honest. It can also mean that you tell more than is necessary. Do you think it’s possible to be too honest? If your friend writes terrible poetry, would you tell him that? Or would you lie to him and encourage him to write more poems? This is a complicated dilemma, to be honest. Sometimes, it’s hard to know the right thing to do.

Andy and Kelsey are going to audition for Nestor’s movie. Watch as Andy is very upfront with Nestor in today’s English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Nestor

Nestor

Kelsey

Kelsey

Andy_H:  Before we begin, I would like to be upfront with you.

Nestor:  OK.

Andy_H:  Although I am not a professionally trained actor, I do have some experience. I just wanted you to know, in case you would be looking for someone to play, say for example, a detective…

Kelsey:  Andy!

Andy_H:  Or in case you needed a Police Chief

Kelsey:  I am so sorry. Andy!

Andy_H:  Sorry, Kelsey. Or a sergeant.

Nestor:  Let’s begin, shall we?

Andy_H:  OK, I’m ready.

Kelsey:  Yes, please.

Nestor:  And action!

Andy_H:  Raaaarh!

Kelsey:  Aaaah!

Nestor:   And cut!

Kelsey:  Andy, you scared the bejeezus out of me!

Andy_H:  I’m sorry!

Kelsey:  No, I mean, it was really good!

Andy_H:  Oh!

Kelsey:  At least, it felt like it was good….

Nestor:  Let me be upfront. We’re filming very soon, and to be honest, I think I can use both of you. We’re actually casting for three people, so this is great.

Andy_H:  Three people?

Nestor:  Yes, there’s one more.

Andy_H:  Do you have a script?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Conjunctions" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy and Kelsey are preparing to audition for Nestor. Andy decides he needs to be upfront with Nestor. He tells the director that he has some acting experience, in case he needs to cast someone as a detective. Nestor just wants to get on with the audition. He calls action on the scene.

Kelsey sneaks around the pretend corner. Andy leaps out and yells at her. Kelsey screams! Andy just scared the bejeezus out of her. She was really impressed! Nestor decides to be upfront with Andy and Kelsey. He thinks he can use both of them in the movie. He also needs to cast a third person. Andy looks like he has a plan and asks Nestor if he has a script.

When is the last time you had to be upfront with someone? When was the last time someone was upfront with you?

Comments

allenzhaojl

China

Today when I was in school, my friend was upront about the thing that I mistakenly stole his grildfriend.

02:05 PM Dec 14 2017 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast