Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

"America"

milarpita

milarpita

Germany

"Yes America is gigantic, but a gigantic mistake"

Told by Sigmund Freud (1988)

how does it grab you? I don think so.

Regards

Milan

www.speakeasylkme.blogspot.com 

08:31 AM Aug 04 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

oonah

oonah

Germany

/quote

This depends on the frame of mind of the voter not the system.

/end quote

You mean, the more people vote on the other parties, the more important they will become? True. You have to start somewhere and Rome was not built in one day but it was built nonetheless.

/quote 

I think what you are complaining about is the "marketing" involved in politics where everything becomes inundated with the election.

/end quote

yes, that is exactly what I mean. Nu, please explain the word "dipwad" to me, I have problems finding an explanation/translation for it.

01:17 AM Aug 06 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

/quote

Imagine this at an international meeting.

/end quote

ever looked at the people in international meetings? Surely she would not stand out, hehe.

01:19 AM Aug 06 2008 |

elva20082008

China

America is gigantic , freedom,but hard to live in this year, some banks shut down ,and encomic is going down .

01:28 AM Aug 06 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

get it, thanks for explaining :)

I agree it does more harm than good, but we do not have that problem here, nobody has campaign signs in his yard ;)

02:01 AM Aug 06 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

hehehe,

to brake out of the circle,

What exactly are you implying? I guess I misunderstood you somewhere. My point was: I like the restriction on spam and I do not feel it restricts the possibility of expressing one's political opinion for there are many ways to do that without advertisement, I also feel political advertisement does not equals expressing important political information it just seems to raise the amount of meaningless slogans.

02:41 AM Aug 06 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

As far as the election process in Colombia goes, I think it's probably closer to that in the US than that of Europe. The constitution anyway is modeled closer to that of the US. 

They don't have the long primary season like in the US where people of a certain party can choose a nominee. Here the nominees are pretty much chosen by the parties. I think there are two major parties here and some smaller ones. TV advertising is allowed and you see a lot of billboards and ads in newspapers for various candidates. If I remember correctly, election day is on Saturday. It could have been Sunday but certainly a weekend. 

Being a political candidate has traditionally been a very dangerous thing in Colombia as many have been murdered.

02:57 AM Aug 06 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

America is gigantic , freedom,but hard to live in this year, some banks shut down ,and encomic is going down .

ONE bank was closed by the government. The US economy is growing, just not as quickly as some might like. 

03:01 AM Aug 06 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Is it dangerous to vote to?

03:20 AM Aug 06 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I don't think it's dangerous to vote. Certainly not like Zimbabwe.

While still not as safe as many Western nations, the violence in Colombia continues to diminish and if you live in a city, aren't a labor organizer or connected to guerillas, paramilitaries or drug dealers, your life is likely to be much like life in any developed/developing country. People who live in rural areas can face issues with the above groups if they are contesting territory and Colombia still has a large number of people who have been displaced from their land due to past violence. Despite all that, Colombians are still some of the happiest people in the world. 

11:48 AM Aug 06 2008 |