Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Abortion: Mother's right Vs Right of unborn child

:-(

India

Do you support abortion or are against it?

There are many angles to this question. Moral, ethical, economical, social. Please keep them in view while answering.

...........>>

A view supports abortion if there is a danger to mother's health, or if the pregnancy arises due to rape or intercourse with a lunatic woman or if there is substantial risk that if child born, would suffer from deformities or some serious diseases.

But if health concerns of either mother or child are recognized as ground for abortion than the underling principle is to prefer death over suffering . But on the other side, no country recognize the right of self death on similar grounds.

In case of rape or illicit intercourse with lunatic woman, the question is to prefer death of the child who committed no fault.

01:26 AM Jun 25 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

India

The decision involves another person's life.

But there is a debate as to when the life begins- it could be immediately after when the egg is fertilzed, when the feotus gets a soul, when the foetus can live independently outside the mother, or when the mother delivers the baby.

It is a philosophical question perhaps!

05:15 PM Jun 25 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Yes, that is the difference.

Conservative people, like me, believe that life begins at conception and that when weighing abortion, it has to be kept in mind that that embryo will grow up to be a person like you and me.

Hence why I'm against trivializing what it is that abortion is and what the aftermath is.

05:38 PM Jun 25 2009 |

elenochka

elenochka

Belarus

yes, right! the fetus may be regarded as  living organism of full value  only on the last stages of pregnancy…. Unborn child is rather a part of woman's organism, than a separate life. 

The truth is that abortion can affect woman's health a lot! and this  is a problem.

We cannot say just" It is a murder and no doubt!" In some cases it is a murder(  fabs,as u mentioned, when women make it without any serious reason), in some cases it is just a necessity.

05:39 PM Jun 25 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

I differentiate between both.

Maybe using the word 'murder' was too harsh. But I do believe that it is 'killing' in the sense that you're ending a life, whether for good reasons or not.

05:43 PM Jun 25 2009 |

India

In some cases it is a murder

The social context determine many things. It may look strange to you that in India, the feminist position is in stark contrast to that of West, on this matter. Though, as a matter of right, the woman's right is upheld but at the same time abortions are opposed too. 

Because as a social phenomenon, abortions are used to get rid of female child. And you know that in last two dacades more than 20 Million female childern were aborted. The sex ratio in the region I live is about 850 girls to 1000 boys!

02:34 PM Jun 26 2009 |