Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

'CIA behind Neda's death'

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

<!- YAELS: start of TD that holds the whole article-body ->

Islamic republic's ambassador to Mexico says American intelligence service may have been behind death of young woman who became symbol of opposition to disputed presidential elections

Yitzhak Benhorin Published: 06.28.09, 08:38 / Israel News

WASHINGTONIran is accusing the United States of being behind the killing of Neda Agha-Soltan, the 26-year-old Iranian woman whose fatal videotaped shooting made her a symbol of opposition to the disputed June 12 presidential election results.

Iranian Ambassador to Mexico Mohammad Hassan Ghadiri made this accusation on Saturday night in an interview to the CNN television network. He denied that the young woman was killed by Iranian security forces and suggested that the CIA or another intelligence service may have been responsible. 

Ghadiri said that the bullet found in Neda's head was not of a type used in Iran. "These are the methods that terrorists, the CIA and spy agencies employ," he said. "Naturally, they would like to see blood spilled in these demonstrations, so that they can use it against the Islamic Republic of Iran. This is of the common methods that the CIA employs in various countries."

The Iranian ambassador said there were many elements in the investigation into the young woman's death which pointed to suspicions of American involvement.

"This death of Neda is very suspicious," Ghadiri said. "She was shot from behind. The location was where there was not much demonstration, there was no police presence and the gun that shot and killed her was a smuggled gun. It was not a government-issued gun… In our view, this would be the work of those who wanted to put more fuel to the flame against the government.

"My question is, how is it that this Miss Neda is shot from behind, got shot in front of several cameras, and is shot in an area where no significant demonstration was behind held… Well, if the CIA wants to kill some people and attribute that to the government elements, then choosing women is an appropriate choice, because the death of a woman draws more sympathy," Ghadiri said.

Neda in pictures – and after being shot (L) (Photo: AFP)

The American intelligence service rushed to reject the Iranian accusations. "Any suggestion that the CIA was responsible for the death of this young woman is wrong, absurd and offensive," said CIA spokesman George Little said.

Neda's death, which was documented on video, sparked a row across the world, with global media telling the story of the good-looking young woman who went out to protest and never returned. 

Her friends said that the Iranian security forces had ordered Neda's relatives and acquaintances not to hold a memorial service for her at a mosque and not to talk about her in public. The friends also claimed that Neda was shot by a security officer in plain clothes.

Earlier this week, Iranian security sources said that an unknown person had shot Neda and several other passersby, and not a member of the security forces. 

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3737891,00.html

06:41 AM Jun 28 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Actually, I put this up just to show how the regime in Teheran will say anything to turn away outrage from themselves.

But apart from that, I support any democracy movement when it comes to Iran.

The only problem I have with Iran is their current government, nothing else. As is well known, there are around 20.000 Jews that live in Iran.

08:23 AM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Actually, I put this up just to show how the regime in Teheran will say anything to turn away outrage from themselves.

-

Can you tell me what you know about the election in Iran?

02:04 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

The only problem I have with Iran is their current government, nothing else. As is well known, there are around 20.000 Jews that live in Iran.

-

THOSE 20000 JEWS ARE 10000000 TIMES BETTER CARED in IRAN THAN MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS LIVING IN israel…

02:06 PM Jun 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"THOSE 20000 JEWS ARE 10000000 TIMES BETTER CARED in IRAN THAN MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS LIVING IN israel…"

I don't think there is any better place in the entire Middle East where Christians and Muslims have more rights than in Israel.

You base this on what?

Or is this just more of the usual bind Israel-bashing?

02:42 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

You base this on what?

Or is this just more of the usual bind Israel-bashing?

-

I base it on the policemen who are seen in every corner in "Israel". It is even worse than in China.  I never blame a country with untrue things. I watched many documentary movies about Israel and the life there such as The Religions of the World and listened to the interviews of muslims in Israel, even Armenians. It is like a jail there. 

03:34 PM Jun 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"Israel"

How cute of you to put it in brackets.

It is even worse than in China.

Oh really? Tell me how many religious groups are banned in Israel?

"I never blame a country with untrue things. I watched many documentary movies about Israel and the life there such as The Religions of the World and listened to the interviews of muslims in Israel, even Armenians. It is like a jail there. "

As far as I'm aware, Israel is the only country in the Middle-East that allows full freedom of practice towards religions. In fact, religious pilgrims come to Israel as a main part of its tourism industry.

Try coverting from Islam to Christiniaty in Egypt or Lebanon…

Try being a Bahai anywhere in the Middle East. Then we'll see how intolerant Israel is.

Come up with some facts of religious persecution in Israel instead of wild statements.

03:44 PM Jun 28 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I sw something recently that the regime in Iran ws blaming Neda's death on other protesters. I think her family was saying that but one might suspect they wee under some pressure from the gov't

The tyrants in Iran need the world to forget about them for a bit. Could they hve murdered Michael Jackson to take the eyes of the world off Iran? It's as valid a speculation as the CIA killing Neda, I think. 

04:46 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

As far as I'm aware, Israel is the only country in the Middle-East that allows full freedom of practice towards religions. In fact, religious pilgrims come to Israel as a main part of its tourism industry.

-

AS FAR AS I AM AWARE ISRAEL IS A COUNTRY IN THE MIDDLE EAST THAT ALLOWS JEWS FULL FREEDOM for PRACTICING THEIR RELIGION AND DISCRIMINATE OTHER RELIGIONS.

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, PLEASE PROVE YOUR STATEMENT, I CAN PROVE MINE BUT NOT NOW BECAUSE TOMORROW I HAVE MATHS EXAM.

05:20 PM Jun 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

http://atheism.about.com/library/irf/irf02/blirf_israel.htm

The report from 2002 about religious freedom.

Religion in Israel is a central feature of the country and plays a major role in shaping Israeli culture and lifestyle. Israel is the only country in the world where a majority of citizens are Jewish. According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, the population in 2005 was 76.1% Jewish, 16.2% Muslim, 2.1% Christian, and 1.6% Druze, with the remaining 4.0% not classified by religion.[1]

Israel has no constitution, but freedom of religion is anchored in law.[2] Legal accommodation of the non-Jewish communities follows the pattern and practice of the Ottoman and British administrations with some important modifications. The religions officially recognized under Israeli law are: Eastern Orthodox, Latin (Roman Catholic), Armenian Apostolic, Armenian Catholic, Syrian Catholic, Chaldean Catholic, Greek Catholic Melkite, Maronite, Syrian Orthodox and Judaism.[3] Three additional communities have since been added to the list: Druze, Evangelical Episcopal[disambiguation needed], and Bahá'í.

If anything, I think the main 'discrimation' against religion is between Jews, with the Orthodox establishment having a lot of influence on a secular society, but this generally does not involve non-Jews.

06:17 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

well.. wait for my respond.. until then you can search for "security policemen near the mosques in Israel"

06:21 PM Jun 28 2009 |