Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

KaKa loves Jesus

gkisseberth

Germany

FOOTBALL’S governing body has sparked controversy after disciplining the Brazilian team for overt displays of Christian piety during a match.

Stars including £56million Real Madrid forward Kaka and captain Lucio revealed T-shirts with slogans such as I Belong to Jesus and I Love God during the Confederations Cup final last month.

Ka-Ka is ga-ga over Jesus

Kaka is ga-ga over Jesus

Now FIFA has risked accusations of being “anti-religious” by reminding Brazil of its guidelines banning players from making displays of a personal, religious or political nature on the football pitch.

According to this report, a warning letter was sent to the Brazilian football federation “to remind them of the relevant regulations, so that such incidents do not recur in the future”.

Brazilian players, and Kaka in particular, are well-known for their strong religious beliefs and the squad and backroom staff formed a large circle and sank to their knees in prayer after the victory over the US at the end of last month.

In the subsequent team photographs, many players were wearing the Christian T-shirts, with captain Lucio prominent as he lifted the trophy.

But Brazil’s display of faith had an extra element of controversy because most of the players are Pentecostalists, whose leaders have been accused of violating religious freedom by attacking those of other faiths.

In the light of Brazil’s high-profile display of faith, seen around the world by millions of television viewers, the head of football in Denmark wants all religious statements banned from football.

Jim Stjerne Hansen, secretary general of the Danish football association, said:

Just as we reject political manifestations, we should also say no to religious ones. There are too many risks involved in clubs, for example, with people of different religious faiths.

FIFA rules specifically ban the use of T-shirts or other undergarments, but there is nothing that outlaws prayer or other displays of religious belief. Law 4, which deals with players’ equipment, reads:

Players must not reveal undergarments showing slogans or advertising. The basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal statements.

Brazil have escaped sanction, just as they did following a similar display of T-shirts after their 2005 Confederations Cup win, but football has made its intention clear to keep religion, as well as politics, out of sport.

08:30 PM Jul 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

most of the players are Pentecostalists, whose leaders have been accused of violating religious freedom by attacking those of other faiths.

in that way FIFA  s atheists attack on players of Brazil.  This is a reason why I don't want spreading out of atheism in the world. 

09:11 PM Jul 12 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

in that way FIFA  s atheists attack on players of Brazil.  This is a reason why I don't want spreading out of atheism in the world.  

Do you really think FIFA is atheist? It seems they are being prudent by banning both religious and political displays. Given the vast amount of differing religious and political views out there, it seems like a reasonable decision. Of course, their policy would also forbid a T-shirt saying "There's Probably No God"  but if you think that's ok, I'm sure you wouldn't mind a player wearing a shirt that said "Islam is of the Devil". 

10:07 PM Jul 12 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I didn't say FIFA is atheist. FIFA is secular and I dont like it. As we see they even punish such a thing and 4-5 months ago a Sevilla player came with a T-shirt "free Palestine" (I dont remember the name ) and he was punished for that. 

To your next paragraph:  I mind about every religious attack. Nobody may insult or blame a religion. Here we just see an attack of atheistic thinking on the other religions and as we see your belief effects to other's lives, too. I am totally against it.

04:19 AM Jul 13 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

If some religious organizations pays FIFA some money for Ad saying "I belong to XYZ" then FIFA wouldn't have any Issues.

It is all about money. displaying "I belong to Jesus" doesn't bring FIFA any money. As I put it, it is loss of Ad space for FIFA

If FIFA's real intention was to secularize the sport , then I would support it. 

04:31 AM Jul 13 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

FIFA is secular and I dont like it. 

why? 

04:33 AM Jul 13 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I didn't say FIFA is atheist. 

what you said was:"in that way FIFA  s atheists attack on players of Brazil"

sounds like either you are saying that the attack itself was atheistic in nature, implying that FIFA is an atheistic organization, OR, that it was an attack from only the atheistt in FIFA. Either is a sill proposition. 

FIFA is secular and I dont like it.  

Why should FIFA be non-secular? To which religious group should they lign themselves with?

The sevilla player who had the Free Palestine shirt falls under the same rules as "I belong to Jesus", no religious or political slogans.  

05:22 AM Jul 13 2009 |