Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Sudan women 'lashed for trousers'

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Several Sudanese women have been flogged as a punishment for dressing "indecently", according to a local journalist who was arrested with them.

Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein, who says she is facing 40 lashes, said she and 12 other women wearing trousers were arrested in a restaurant in the capital, Khartoum.

She told the BBC several of the women had pleaded guilty to the charges and had 10 lashes immediately.

Khartoum, unlike South Sudan, is governed by Sharia law.

<!- E SF ->

Several of those punished were from the mainly Christian and animist south, Ms Hussein said.

Non-Muslims are not supposed to be subject to Islamic law, even in Khartoum and other parts of the mainly Muslim north.

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

Sudan'da kad&imath;n olmak zor

BBC-NEWS  Monday, 13 July 2009

<!- E BO ->

10:56 AM Jul 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Several Sudanese women have been flogged as a punishment for dressing "indecently", according to a local journalist who was arrested with them.

Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein, who says she is facing 40 lashes, said she and 12 other women wearing trousers were arrested in a restaurant in the capital, Khartoum.

She told the BBC several of the women had pleaded guilty to the charges and had 10 lashes immediately.

Khartoum, unlike South Sudan, is governed by Sharia law.

<!- E SF ->

Several of those punished were from the mainly Christian and animist south, Ms Hussein said.

Non-Muslims are not supposed to be subject to Islamic law, even in Khartoum and other parts of the mainly Muslim north.

She said that a group of about 20 or 30 police officers entered the popular Khartoum restaurant and arrested all the women wearing trousers.

"I was wearing trousers and a blouse and the 10 girls who were lashed were wearing like me, there was no difference," she told the BBC's Arabic service.

Ms Hussein said some women pleaded guilty to "get it over with" but others, including herself, chose to speak to their lawyers and are awaiting their fates.

Under Sharia law in Khartoum, the normal punishment for "indecent" dressing is 40 lashes.

Ms Hussein is a well-known reporter who writes a weekly column called Men Talk for Sudanese papers. She also works for the United Nations Mission in Sudan.

<!- E BO ->

10:58 AM Jul 15 2009 |

Bogle

Bogle

Germany

Insanity.  Those men should be jailed for assault.

01:20 PM Jul 15 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hello Hakimi,
I understood this article so that the women are lashed because they wear trousers. I myself wear trousers because it's comfortable. On the other hand why should always the men dictate  which dressing is "indecently" and which not. Why do men think that women want just to seduce men? Aren't the women able to decide for themselves what's bad moral and what's not? I am so sorry that the men still dictate what the women have to do and what not. This article grabed my attention.

04:21 PM Jul 15 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hello Goaway,

I have no idea whether they know it or no. Nevertheles it is discriminating women. 

04:28 PM Jul 15 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

That's barbaric. In other countries police officers would be suspended and go to jail for doing something like that. This world is really crazy.

05:31 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

it is just stupidity of the Sudan policy and uneducated Sudanese police but it is called "WOMEN IN ISLAM" = stupidity of people  ... so we are all stupid not only the Sudan policy

By the way I agree it is barbaric because Sudanese policemens aren't Greeks ;)

05:42 PM Jul 15 2009 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

In the name of mixed up belief, nothing’s called crazy. Maybe we can name it “accepted” for a bigger or a noble purpose. It’s like u’d get many virgins when u enter the heaven, if u blow up urself for a certain goal. ^_-

05:46 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

it is just stupidity of the Sudan policy and uneducated Sudanese police but it is called "WOMEN IN ISLAM" = stupidity of people  ... so we are all stupid not only the Sudan policy

WHAT THE HELL:: I HOPED THAT MY STATEMENT WASNT 'TRUE BUT MIKE APPEARED WITH 1000 KM/H

FRIENDS; SORRY FOR MY ARROGANCE BUT THERE IS ONE TRUTHGOD CREATED US AND HE GAVE US AN ENORMOUS BRAIN WHAT WE HUMANS CAN NOT USEI WILL PRAY FOR A USER'S GUIDE

05:48 PM Jul 15 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

Or to get many raisins. Who knows…

05:56 PM Jul 15 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

yes, raisins would be useful, too, if WE use them instead of blaming a religion.

05:59 PM Jul 15 2009 |