Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Law and Religion- Would you support Religious laws or man made modern laws as Constitutional law WORLDOVER?

:-(

India

<!-[endif]->

The laws in most liberal, democratic nations are human laws — that is to say, they are self-consciously human creations for human needs in a human society. There was a time, though, when laws were treated as having divine origins, and there are people today who would like to change society into something which is once again regulated by God's laws — or, at least, their interpretation of God's laws.

•     So, how do you think – should countries world over follow religious laws or man made modern laws?
  • Speaking concretely, should Europe follow Christianity, India – Hinduism, Japan- Buddhism and Arabs – Islam as their constitutional laws? Or Should the states world over be neutral to religions? 
  • Here I do not want to get into discussion about which religion is superior or inferior to others.
  • My choice is clear. For my country, I support our constitutional laws. Legally, everyone is free to follow his/her faith. Religion is personal affair. No law can enforce particular region or its rituals on its citizens. The state is legally neutral in Religious matters. In the era of Globalization, religions can not be allowed to take over the law of land.  

01:28 PM Jul 31 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

THE ANSWER IS SO SIMPLE ACCORDING TO MUSLIMS, THEY WOULD SAY SHARI3A, ALLAH'S LAW
AND I THINK ISREAL BASED ON THEIR SHARI3A ALSO NOT SECULAR LAWS
ABOUT CHRISTIANS, I THINK THE MATTER IS OBVIOUS THERE HAVE NO RELIGIOUS LAWS….AND REAL SHOW SECULAR.
OF COURSE ATHIESTS, THE ANWER IS CLEAR.
BUT FOR UR KNOWLEDGE , ISLAMIC COUNTRIES 99% OF THEM R SECULAR…..

01:33 PM Jul 31 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

WHAT A WISDOM, ROSELLA!!!Smile

02:18 PM Jul 31 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

THAT PROVE WHAT I TOLD U BEFORE
OOH I VE TO LEAVE NOW
SALAM, DJOUZI, ROSELLA AND YUNALaughing..
BTW, DJOUZI
PLZ BE WITH OUR FRIENDS IN LIFE TALK TURN TO JAPANESE , SORRY ILSAM TALK, COZ GRUDGE GATHERED THEREWink..BYE NOW

02:45 PM Jul 31 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

If there were religious law and principles that all religions and moral people shared, I would support it, but this is not possible.

You can't force laws on a population that is entirely hostile to them.

Judaism, like Islam, has a huge network and layout of religious law, which affects certain areas of governing in Israel, especially when it comes to marriage and conversion.

I want society to reflect the values of my religion, of course.

02:52 PM Jul 31 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Says the bishop to the actress…

03:04 PM Jul 31 2009 |

India

In India there are some tendencies that want India to turn to a Hindu state. 

But that is not possible. A Bold NO. Theocracy would make life worse even for Hindus, the majority of whom were never taken up by such ideas even during gross provocations and religious strife.  But things would certainly deteriorate for a other minorities like Sikhs, Muslims and others. Need not mention that India is second largest Muslim populated country.  Even during partition of India along communal lines (that event was manipulated by British colonists! more than 10 million people lost their lives! ) majority of Muslims preferred to stay in Hindu majority India. And that is the "concept" of India. A secular India.

The thing that is making me smile is that on similar points, here in India, people like me has to bear same heat as has come in this thread. But there is a difference- the Hindu communalists give slogan- (Target) First Red than Green. From Red they symbolize Left and Secular and from Green they symbolize Muslim minority. 

Anyway, I stand for an India free, open, fair and equal for all. Similarly, I wouldn't like the US or Europe to be a Christian theocracy. There are many of my friends- of course Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. I think they wouldn't find it easy to live in such theocracy. I strongly disliked the idea of  French 's rightest president Sarkozy's decision of banning the Turbans and Hijab. I know if rightists treat people that way, theocracy would treat them worse.

There are various religions and thoughts, let all the people have freedom of following their faith. 

04:41 PM Jul 31 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

I support Constitutional Law. Major Advantage of this is that Constitution is dynamic. Laws can be amended(it is a disadvantage as well as laws can be amended to uleash tyranny. ) 

Just lik all Indians, I belive that religion is a Private affair. I am a Hindu at home. I am an Indian in Public.

04:51 PM Jul 31 2009 |

India

Just lik all Indians, I belive that religion is a Private affair.

Jay ho!!

but what was your first religion ?

Does it matter? I have long forgotten!!

05:36 PM Jul 31 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

In India there are some tendencies that want India to turn to a Hindu state.

Juck heads  like VHP should be kicked out of the country. They are trying to "Abrahamiz" Hinduism as well. They along with Mullas fan hatered

majority of Muslims preferred to stay in Hindu majority India. And that is the "concept" of India. A secular India.

All Hindus Fled Pakistan though. 40% of Population of Today's pakistan were Hindus/sikhs.

Today it is less than 2%. 

05:54 PM Jul 31 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

• So, how do you think – should countries world over follow religious laws or man made modern laws?
  man-made laws (although I would stipulate that religious laws are man-made as well)   
  • Speaking concretely, should Europe follow Christianity, India – Hinduism, Japan- Buddhism and Arabs – Islam as their constitutional laws?
  • no, no, and no

•  Or Should the states world over be neutral to religions? 

ideally, yes 

• My choice is clear. For my country, I support our constitutional laws. Legally, everyone is free to follow his/her faith. Religion is personal affair. No law can enforce particular region or its rituals on its citizens. The state is legally neutral in Religious matters. In the era of Globalization, religions can not be allowed to take over the law of land. 
  100% in agreement with you 

03:39 AM Aug 01 2009 |