Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

EUROPEAN UNION - what do you think about it?

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

Hi everyone.

What image do you have of the EU?

What do you like or dislike about it?

Should the EU include more countries? Or is it too big?

11:58 PM Jan 28 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

I think the European Union was a great idea, Europe has to be togheter in the future if it wants to keep rich compeared to future big potences such China, India, Russia and Brazil. I still believe Europe should be even more together, and the economical/social difference between the countries should be solved (for example living in Finland is very different of living in Romania). 

I believe that more countries should be included if they are culturally European and they are economically/politically/socially advanced.

I think that Macedonia, Croatia, Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Lietchestein, Serbia, Montenegro, Moldova, Ukraine, Armenia and Georgia should join in the future (some in near future and some in far future) and eventually, the join of Belarus and Russia would be cool too.

12:52 AM Jan 29 2010 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

The European Union evolved from the European Economic Community (the name for it when the UK joined). It was always about trade, and economic co-operation, and now it is about political and monetary union (but the UK does not have the euro currency). It has never been about culture or religion.

The criteria for joining the EU (Copenhagen criteria) are about democracy, human rights, free market and economic principles. There is nothing in the criteria which states member countries should have a particular religious, ethnic or cultural identity. There is no specific geographic criteria either.

Therefore so long as countries want to join, it should not matter about having a 'European culture', a Christian heritage, etc.

So if Turkey, Algeria, or Kazakhstan wanted to join, so long as they meet the Copenhagen criteria, what is the problem?

Under the Barcelona Process, there is a union of the Mediterranean, which includes the North African countries, Palestine, Israel, Syria, Turkey, Albania, Bosnia, etc.  

01:40 PM Jan 29 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

I agree with you otooziki, but in my opinion the European Union don't allows Turkey to become a member of the UE not for its religion or culture, the reason is that Turkey must solve many problems, the most known problem is the ocupation of the Cyprus' territory. Also turkey must continue improving the fulfillment of the human rights.

There are agreements which will allow that Turkey becomes a member once it solves that problems. 

02:26 PM Jan 29 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

There is no specific geographic criteria either.

It is wrong, the geographical criteria didn't let Morroco to start the negotiations in the past 

05:01 PM Jan 29 2010 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

You are all correct I think, and thankyou for your opinions!

Dabbid, yes human rights must improve in Turkey. But the AKP has made huge progress.

Santiago, yes you are right. But that was in 1987 before the Copenhagen criteria. Now there are new talks. I think Spain will want Morocco to join? I think it will shift the 'problem' of refugees to Morocco and away from Spain? And that would be Spain's self-interest I think. But again they are a Muslim country, so probably France, Germany, Austria will block.

Arabhamid, yes you are right too. Some of the European politicians are discriminating against Turkey because it is Islamic. That is not fair. But they won't be in power forever. Unfortunately Europe has some bad politicians, look at our former Prime Minister Tony Blair. Today he was totally defiant about his 'illegal war'.

You are also right about the Mediterranean Union. Just Sarkozy's plan to keep Turkey out of the EU. And Israel is a problem I guess too.

I have often said that I think Turkey would be a real benefit to the EU. Unfortunately for us, I don't think many in Turkey will want to join anymore.

Nice discussion, thanks everyone.

11:00 PM Jan 29 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

I think you are wrong dear otooziki:

Spain don't want Morocco to join because both countries have economic diferences. But do you think morrocans living in spain will leave from here just because Morroco becomes a member of the UE? In Spain morrocans live much better than in Morroco.

France want Morocco to join because France has got economic interets in Morroco.

The problem with muslim countries is not its religion, is its politicy. Your nation can be a muslim country but it must separate religion from eduacion and policity.

11:27 PM Jan 29 2010 |

aquarius2009

Croatia

Balkan will always stay Balkan anyhow join or not join to EU.

Lots of wars here,

04:16 AM Jan 30 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

It is a good thing. It will lead to multiple centers of Power, which might lead us to longer peace. 

05:02 PM Jan 30 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

otooziki, before claiming the rights of muslim, claim also the rights of the ones of your similar culture and values.

Talk also about the how British stole and are still stealing terrirories in south Argentina such the Malvinas Islands (''Falkland'') South Sandwich Islands, South Georgia Islands and Argentine Antartica!

08:47 PM Jan 30 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

Also, talking inside the EU. the United Kingdom is putting problems to the Icelandic bid, because of the IceSave issue, why should Icelanders pay to the British the money they did not steal? I stil can not underdstand why the UK is against the EU bid and is pro the Turkish bid, it is just stupid. And treating Icelanders as terrorist was too much.

05:38 PM Feb 07 2010 |