Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Living God, a living religion, true religion, true God

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

Currently, we are all in such a situation in life, when it does, and no walls can separate itself from the outside world. What is it? We live in a world of religious pluralism. We were faced with so many preachers, each of which offers us its ideals, its standards of living, their religious views, that the previous generation, or my generation, perhaps not envy you. We have been simpler. The main problem, before which we stood, was the problem of religion and atheism.

When people get lost in the woods, looking for the road, looking for the way home and suddenly finding someone asks: "Is there a way out of here?" And the man answers: "No, and do not look, arranged here, as you can" – then he will believe him? Doubtful. Do not start to search for more? And finding someone who will tell him: "Yes, out there, and I will show you the signs, signs by which you can get out of here" – then he does not he believe it? The same thing is happening in the field of ideological choice, when a person is the face of religion and atheism. As long as there remains a spark of human search for truth, a spark of seeking meaning in life, until he can not psychologically unable to accept the concept, claiming that his personality and, therefore, all people expect eternal death, for "achievements" which is necessary to create better economic, social, political and cultural conditions of life. And then everything will be all about, Kay – you're going to die tomorrow and you shall place at the cemetery. Just "wonderful"!

My God, that here I can see and hear? People come, and everyone cries out: "Only my truth." That's a problem … and Muslims and Confucians, Buddhists, Jews, and who just do not. Many of those among whom is now converted to Christianity. Here is he, a Christian preacher in the midst of others, and I'm looking for who is right-now here, whom should we believe?

There are two approaches may be there are more, but I will name two. One of them, which can give a person the chance to see what religion is true (that is objectively consistent with human nature, human search, the human understanding of the meaning of life) is the method of comparative theological analysis. Quite a long way, there should be good to explore each religion. But not everyone can go that route, you need a great time, great power, if you will, the appropriate skills in order to learn it – the more so because it takes so much energy the soul …

All worldviews is reduced to the doctrine of salvation. And here is what we are faced with the fact that already makes it possible, I think, to make informed choices when we find ourselves in the face of religious diversity. Christianity, unlike all other religions, says something that the other religions (and the more secular world) simply do not know. And not only do not know, but when faced with this, then indignantly reject. This statement is the notion of so-called. original sin. All religions, if you want, even all the worldview, all ideologies say about sin. Naming, however, is different, but it does not matter. But none of them did not believe that human nature in its present state of the patient. Christianity also claims that the state in which all we humans are born, are, upbringing, her husband, mature, – a condition in which we enjoy, have fun, learn, make discoveries and so on – is a state of grave illness and deep damage. We are sick. This is not about the flu and bronchitis, and not about not about mental illness. No, no, we are mentally healthy and physically healthy – we can solve the problem and fly into space – we are deeply suffering from the other side.
And here is, if Christianity is right, and entered the root, the source, the fact that human life, individually and in the entire human scale, leads to one tragedy after another. For if a man is seriously ill, but he can not see it and therefore can not heal, it will destroy him.

Other religions do not recognize the disease in man. Rejects it. They believe that man – a healthy seed, but which can develop normally and abnormally. Its development is conditioned by the social environment, economic conditions, psychological factors, caused by many things. Therefore, a person can be both good and bad, but he is by nature good. Here are the antithesis of the main non-Christian consciousness.
I'm not saying non-religious, there is no need to talk, there is general: "a person – it's my own." Only Christianity claims that our current state – a state of deep damage and such damage, in terms of personal man himself can not cure him. This statement is built great Christian dogma of Christ as Savior.

This idea is a fundamental divide between Christianity and all other religions.

Now I try to show that Christianity, unlike other religions is an objective confirmation of his claim.

Let us turn to the history of mankind. Let's see what it lives all available to our human eyes the story? What are the goals? Of course, it wants to build the kingdom of God on earth, a paradise. One with God. And in this case he is considered nothing more than a tool for good on earth, but not as the supreme goal of life. Others – generally without God. But what is important. Everyone understands that this is not the kingdom on earth without such basic things as: peace, justice, love (it goes without saying what would be a paradise, where there is war, injustice prevails, anger, etc.?) If you want respect for each other, snizoydem before. That is all well aware that without such basic moral values, without their implementation can not be achieved any prosperity on earth. All clear? Everyone. And what does the history of mankind? What do we do? Erich Fromm said it well: "Human history is written in blood. The story is never-ending violence." Exactly.
Historians, especially military might, I think, well illustrated to us than filled the entire history of humanity: war, bloodshed, violence, cruelty. The twentieth century – in theory, higher age of humanism. And he showed that the top "perfection", surpassing the blood of all previous centuries of mankind together. If our ancestors were able to look at what happened in the twentieth century, they tremble at the scale of cruelty, injustice and deception. Some inconceivable paradox that mankind is on the development of its history, doing exactly the opposite of his main idea, purpose and ideas, to which the very start had been sent all his efforts.
I ask a rhetorical question: "Can behave in an intelligent creature?" History simply mocks us, sarcastically: "Humanity, indeed, intelligently and sensibly. It is not mentally ill, no, no. It just creates a little more and a little worse than it is done in a crazy house."

If we look now at the individual, more precisely, if a person has enough moral force "to his circulation," on a watch, he now sees no less impressive. Paul accurately described it: "A poor man that I am, I do not the good I want, but the evil that I hate." Indeed, anyone who even slightly pay attention to what is happening in his soul, comes into contact with itself, it can not see how he is mentally ill, whether exposed to various passions, enslaved by them. It makes no sense to ask: "Why are you, poor man, browse opivaeshsya, lying, envy, fornication etc.? You did it kill himself, destroying the family, mutilate their children, poisoning the whole atmosphere around him. Why beat yourself rezhesh , kolesh, why ruin your nerves, the psyche, the body itself? You understand that this is detrimental to you? " Yes, I understand, but I can not do it again. Basil the Great once said: "It is not born in the souls of men more harmful passions than envy. And, as a rule, a person suffering, can not cope with them. Here, in the depths of his soul every reasonable person understands what Christianity says: "Things are not that good, that I want, but the evil that I hate." This is a health or disease?

At the same time for comparison, look at how people can change with proper Christian life. Those who are cleansed of the passions, acquired humility, courted, – According to St. Seraphim of Sarov – the Holy Spirit, came to a curious psychological point of view: they began to see himself the worst of all. Pimen the Great said: "Believe me, brothers, which will be cast into Satan, there will be cast into self; Sisoe Great died, and his face shine forth as the sun, so it was impossible to watch, but he begged God to give him some more time to repentance. What is it? The hypocrisy of some sort? Yes, God forbid. They even thought they were afraid to sin, because talking with all his soul, said something that really worried. We do not feel it. I packed all the mud, but I see and I feel very good man. Good man I am! But if something and do it badly, then who is without sin, others are not better than me, and I blame not so much as the other, other, other. We do not see his soul, and therefore as good in their eyes. How very different spiritual vision of our sacred rights!

Well, well, came to Christianity. Glory to Thee, O Lord, found the true faith, finally. I walked into the next room, and then again and again full of people shouting: My Christian faith is the best. Catholic calls: see what is behind me – 1 billion 45 million. Various Protestant denominations indicate that their $ 350 million. Orthodox least of all, only 170 million. However, someone tells: the truth is not in quantity but in quality. But the question is highly significant: "Where is it, true Christianity?"
Well, and how Catholicism differs from orthodoxy, what is his mistake? Is it just another way to Christ? "And many times I'm convinced that quite a few examples from the life of the Catholic mystics, asking simply say:" Thank you, now everything is clear. Nothing else is needed. "
Indeed, by their holy evaluated every local Orthodox Church or the heterodox. Tell me who your saints, and I'll tell you what your church. For any church declares holy only those who embodied the Christian ideal of his life as he sees this Church. Therefore, the glorification of someone is not only a testimony of the Christian Church, which it understands is worthy of glory and offered it as an example to follow, but first and foremost proof of the Church itself. As saints, we are best able to judge the actual or perceived holiness of the Church.
One of the great Catholic saints is St. Francis of Assisi (XIII century).. His spiritual consciousness of a well opens the following facts. Once Francis prayed long (extremely revealing in this subject of prayer) of the two favors: "The first – is that I … could … go through all the suffering, Thou Sweetest Jesus suffered in thy tormenting passions. And second grace … – is that … I could feel … that unlimited love that burned you, the Son of God. " As we see, no sense of his sinfulness bothered Francis and frank claims to equality with Christ! During this prayer, Francis felt himself completely transformed into Jesus, "which he immediately and saw the image of six-winged seraph, hit his flaming arrows in place of the cross of Jesus Christ of ulcers (arms, legs and right side). After this vision by Francis appeared painful bleeding wounds (stigma) – traces of "the suffering of Jesus" (Lodyzhensky MV Invisible Light. – Pg. 1915. – S. 109.)
The nature of these stigmas are well known in psychiatry: a continuous focus on the suffering on the cross of Christ is extremely excited nerves and psyche of man and during prolonged exercise can cause this phenomenon. None of grace is not here, because in such compassion (sompassio) Christ is not that true love, the substance of which the Lord said directly: those who obey my commandments, he loves me (John 14; 21).
Very revealing and purpose of life which has set itself the Francis: "I worked hard and want to work … because it brings honor" (St. Francis of Assisi. Writings. – Akad. Franciscans, 1995. – P. 145). Francis wants to suffer for others, and to atone for sins of others (p. 20). Is it because at the end of his life, he said frankly: "I am not aware of any wrongdoing is, which is not redeemed to confession and repentance" (Lodyzhenskiy. – S. 129.). All this testifies to the inability to see out his sins, his fall, that is, the complete spiritual blindness.
For comparison, consider the dying moment of the life of Saint ISSS Great (V in).. "Surrounded by the time his brother's death, at the very moment when he seemed to be talking to invisible people, Sisoe to question his brother:" Father, tell us who you lead the conversation? "- Replied:" These are the angels came to take me, but I pray for them that they left me for a short time to repent. "When this brethren, knowing that Sisoe perfect in virtue, he replied:" You do not need no repentance, O Lord "- then Sisoe replied:" Truly I do not know if I even made the top of my repentance "(Lodyzhenskiy. – S. 133.) This is a deep understanding and vision of its imperfections is the main feature of all true saints.

A vivid testimony to the sanctity of the Catholic Catherine of Siena is the (1380), built by Pope Paul VI in the highest level of the saints – in the "Doctor of the Church." Read some excerpts from the book Catholic Antonio Sicari "Portraits of saints." Quotes, in my opinion, does not require comment.

Catherine was about 20 years. "She felt that her life must occur a decisive turning point, and continued to fervently pray to his Lord Jesus, repeating the excellent, gentle formula that has become familiar to her:" It is combined with my marriage in the faith "(Antonio Sicari. The portraits of the saints. T. II. – Milan, 1991. – P.11.).

"Once I saw the vision of Catherine: her divine Bridegroom, hugging, drew her to him, but then he took heart from her chest to give it more heart, more like his own" (p.12).

Once told that she had died. "She herself said later that her heart was torn to pieces by the power of divine love and that she had passed through death," when he saw the gates of paradise. "But" Come back, my child, – LORD said to me, you have to go … I will bring you to the princes and rulers of the Church. "" And the humble girl beginning to send their messages around the world, long letters which she dictated at breakneck speed, often for three or four at the same time on different occasions, not faltering and ahead of the secretaries. All these letters end with a passionate formula: "sweet Jesus, Jesus Love" and often begin with the words …: "I, Catherine, the maid servant and slave of Jesus, I am writing to you in His precious blood …" (12).

"The letters of Catherine striking primarily frequent and insistent repetition of the words:" I want "(12).

"Some people say that strong words" I want "in a state of ecstasy, she drew even to Christ" (13).

Correspondence with Gregory X1, whom she persuaded to return from Avignon to Rome: "I tell you, on behalf of Christ … I'm telling you, Father, in Jesus Christ ... Answer the call of the Holy Spirit to call you" (13).
"And the King of France is drawn with the words:" do the will of God, and my "(14).

No less indicative of "revelation" and also erected by Pope Paul VI in "Teacher of the Church, Teresa of Avila (XVI cent.). Before her death, she exclaims: "Oh, my God, my husband, finally I see you again!". This is highly strange cry is not accidental. He – a natural consequence of the "spiritual" feat Therese, the essence of which was called in at least the following fact.

After many of its events "Christ" said Teresa: "From this day thou shalt be my wife … I am now not only the Creator is thy God, and Husband" (Merezhkovsky DS Spanish mystics. – Brussels, 1988. – P . 88.) "God, or suffer with you, or die for thee!" – Teresa prays and falls to pieces under these caresses …", – writes D. Merezhkovsky. There is no wonder why, when Teresa admits: "Soul of the Beloved calls such a piercing whistle that it was impossible not to hear. This call operates on the heart so that she was faint with desire. "Is not accidental that the famous American psychologist William James, commending her mystical experience, wrote that" her ideas about religion were limited, so to speak, to the infinite loving flirtation between a fan and his divinity "(James V. variety of religious experience. / Per. from English. – M., 1910. – S. 337).

The Rev. Neil Sinai (V in.) Warns: "I do not want to see the sensual angels or forces, or Christ, that his mind did not go taking a wolf for the shepherd, and bowing to the enemies, the demons" (St. Nil of Sinai. 153 heads for a prayer. Hd. 115 / / Philokalia: In 5 t. T. 2. 2 nd ed. – M., 1884. – S. 237).
Saint Symeon the New Theologian (XI cent.) Speaking about those who pray "imagines the benefits of heaven, the ranks of angels and saints of the monastery," says plainly that "it is a sign of beauty." "In this way, standing up, enticed, and those who see the light of his bodily eyes, smell incense smell her, hear voices and their ears like" (St. Symeon the New Theologian. The three images of prayer / Philokalia. T. 5. M. , 1900. pp 463-464).
Saint Gregory of Sinai (XIV cent.) Recalls: "Never, if you see that sensual or spiritual, outside or inside, even though it was the image of Christ or an angel or a saint … which receive it … easily enticed. .. God is not angry at the man who carefully listens to himself, if he is seduced by fear will not take that from him there, .. but more so his boasts, like a wise man "(St. Gregory of Sinai. Nastavlenie silent, ibid. – S. 224).
How right he was a landlord (this writes svt. Bryanchaninov Ignatius), who, seeing his daughter in the hands of a Catholic book "Imitation of Jesus Christ, Thomas a Kempis (XV cent.) Snatched from her hand and said:" Stop playing with God in the novel. " The above examples leave no doubt about the validity of these words. Unfortunately, in the Catholic Church had already ceased, apparently different from the mental and spiritual sanctity of dreaminess, and hence Christianity from paganism. 

In Protestantism, I think, fairly and dogma. To see it being, I will confine myself now, and only one of the main assertion of Protestantism: "A person is saved only by faith and not by works, because the believer sin is not imputed as sin." Here's the main issue, in which Protestants are confused. They begin to build the house of salvation from the tenth floor, forgetting (if you remember?) The doctrine of the early Church about what kind of faith saves man. Not the same faith in what Christ 2000 years ago, came and did everything for us?

What is the difference in the understanding of faith in Orthodoxy from Protestantism? Orthodoxy, too, said that saving human faith, but the believer sin imputed to sin. What is faith? – Do not "drain" on svt. Theophanes, that is rational, but a condition which is acquired at the correct one, I emphasize the right of the Christian life, because only that he is convinced that only Christ can save him from slavery and torture of the passions. It achieved this belief-state? Coercion to perform the commandments of the Gospel and sincere repentance. Prep. Symeon the New Theologian says: "Careful execution of the commandments of Christ teaches a person to his infirmities," that is open to him by his own helplessness without God's help to eradicate in a passion. Sam, one person can not – same with God, "a friend", it appears, can do anything. Proper Christian life is just and open person, first of all, his passion, illness, and second – that the Lord is near all of us have, at last, that he was ready at any moment to come to the rescue and save us from sin. But he saved us, not without us, not without our efforts and struggle. Requires a feat which makes us able to take Christ, for showing us that themselves without God can not heal itself. Only when I'm drowning, I get convinced that I need a Savior, and when on the shore I do not need anyone, but finding himself sinking in the persecution of the passions, I turn to Christ. And he comes and helps. Thus begins a live saving faith. Orthodoxy teaches about freedom and dignity of man as God's fellow workers in his salvation, and not as a "pillar of salt", according to Luther, who can not do anything. Hence it becomes clear the importance of all the commandments of the Gospel, and not only faith in the salvation of the Christian becomes evident truth of Orthodoxy.

If you still doubt the truth of the Orthodox religion, then God makes a miracle every year on the ground. Holy Fire, coming down in the temple of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem on the eve of Orthodox Easter
Celebrating The Holy Easter in Jerusalem, the holy city, is different from the celebrations in all other places. Because it is in this place, in this City, on the Holy Sepulcher, and there was the mystery of the Resurrection – The Lord is risen from the dead, trampling death. And as a symbol and a sign of the Resurrection we have the descent of the Holy Fire on Holy Saturday, which is located in the center of the celebration of the Resurrection in the Holy City of Jerusalem.
In Jerusalem on April 18 held toe Holy Fire. Main Easter Eve miracle took place at 15.00 Moscow time. Holy Fire descended in the presence of thousands of pilgrims from around the world.

The annual church service in the temple of the Resurrection traditionally led the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem Patriarch Theophilos. In the church attended by representatives of other Christian denominations.

Special flight Holy Fire was delivered to Moscow by the beginning of the Easter service in the Patriarchal Cathedral of Christ the Savior and submitted to His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Kirill.

This once again speaks of the difference between the Orthodox religion from all others. And the importance of religion. True religion. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZaLnOGU1HE

12:22 AM Feb 23 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

If God exists, why he has not stopped the evil of violence?

Christians often ask the question: If evil exists and God sees all this and admits, what is it God? This question is quite natural for those who are not taking the trouble to think a little on the essence of being. It is similar to a number of common acquaintances questions: in such a family a lot of evil – where to watch father? In such a state a lot of evil – which looks the same power? However, clear to everyone that is not so easy to eradicate the evil in the family or society, and children, and citizens are self-willed and evil, and a ban or even destruction of the evil result of not attain. Looking for education and patience. But when it comes to God, they immediately say: why God is still tolerate evil?

Can anticipate and answer: both parents and governors are not omnipotent, so they must spend a lot of effort to stop the evil and can not always be a complete success, but God is omnipotent. It costs nothing to stop the evil one commandment. But it can be made only by those who looked at this question, so to speak, by not having really no idea about the essence of the Christian religion, its teachings about God and man, forgetting that such a human person and human freedom, and not penetrating to the end in question, what is good and what is evil.

Those who accuse God for the fact that among human beings is an evil, evil often look at too superficial and only see its major manifestations, such as war or enslavement of man by man. In fact, evil is much broader. It is born inside the human soul, so it often gets into all human relationships, even the most private, intimate. Hence, from the recesses of the souls of those who hate the good, rising wave of evil and multiply, produce great historical crimes, which are usually blamed God.

The question is that, according to critics, to do God to stop evil? Should he himself radically suppress any evil thought in its very infancy of the human soul, or to interfere only when the evil will turn into a grandiose crime? Let's see, what would become a man, if he was unable to conceive of themselves do nothing to every wish and desire him and to all thought it forced the God? In what would become a man, devoid of free thought, free will and forcibly obliged to be virtuous? It would have been no man, but something weaker than an animal, a kind of clockwork doll. God does not deprive a person of his liberty, not paralyze his will, even evil, but teaches people how they should set on the ground just life. The Gospel is the preaching of love, not violence. And the people themselves to decide in which cases they should move from persuasion to coercion, if you are among them those who rise to the doctrine of brotherly love that Christ has commanded them.

You can talk a lot about how violence can be useful to suppress the evil in public life. In our society can not develop such a rule, which surely would be at all times and under all circumstances. You can not forcibly stop the evil, if it originates in the depths of the human heart.

We explain this by analogy with the family. The father can convince his son and forcing him to some actions, but he can not force him to think or wish for as he needed. Human consciousness is something free in its essence. It is susceptible and influence, and persuasion, but can not take either one or the other. A person may in any conditions to remain the way he wants. You can forcibly stop his actions, but there is no force, which mechanically exerted an influence would be on his mind. Who wants to seriously ponder over this issue will realize that humanity has all the capabilities of their own free will to destroy the greatest scourge of war and exploitation, much harder to eliminate scattered throughout the evil that comes through in the personal relations between people.

God gave people's lives, and this is the greatest blessing. People can take advantage of this good, people also can destroy themselves. God made man lord of the earth, and humanity will be able, if he wants to destroy evil. The Gospel teaches us how through persuasion and personal example, not by denying human freedom, to eradicate evil in the depths of the soul.

01:20 AM Feb 23 2010 |