Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Singular/plural

britdam007

britdam007

India

Please mention the correct form:

“Treasure Islands” is one of the best pirate stories that was /were ever written.

Best regards,

Abhishek

09:35 AM Mar 08 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

“Treasure Island” is one of the best pirate stories that was ever written. It would be even more common to say:”Treasure Island” is one of the best pirate stories ever written.

Best,

Amy

03:36 AM Mar 10 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you but the grammar book that I have says : “Treasure Island” is one of the best pirate stories that were ever written. According to it the qualifying Noun in this sentence is “the best pirate stories ” but  ”Treasure Island”. It also says that “Treasure Island” is one of those best novels (that were ever written). So what’s your take on that?

Best regards,

Abhishek

12:21 PM Mar 10 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

I disagree with your grammar book. “Treasure Island” is singular, therefore was should be used. 

Best,

Amy

04:07 AM Mar 12 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Yes but what about the noun “the best pirate stories”. I think that’s not singular?

So which is the subject here? ‘Treasure Island” or ‘the the best pirate stories”? I’m totally confused. Please advise?

Best regards,

Abhishek

06:47 AM Mar 12 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Yes but what about the noun “the best pirate stories”. I think that’s not singular?

So which is the subject here? ‘Treasure Island” or ‘the the best pirate stories”? I’m totally confused. Please advise?

Best regards,

Abhishek

06:47 AM Mar 12 2015 |

Javi_920

Javi_920

Argentina

Heyyy there!!!... In my opinion, the subject definitely is Treasure Islands. What the sentence says then is something about the subject. That’s the predicate. It could be anything. About ”...the best pirate stories” is plural, but as it’s not the subject, that won’t define you whether using was or were.

08:08 PM Mar 12 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Well said, Javi_920! I couldn’t have explained it better myself.

Best,

Amy

08:32 PM Mar 12 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

I’m sorry Javi_920 but I think you are grossly mistaken ! The subject here is “one of the best pirate stories” and that is why the auxiliary verb in the second part of the sentence  takes a plural form (that were ever written) and also since “Treasure Island” is a singular noun it takes a singular auxiliary verb ‘is’.

one of the best pirate stories that were ever written is Treasure Island

Cheers

07:51 AM Mar 13 2015 |

Javi_920

Javi_920

Argentina

If you already know the answer for your question and then you say that I’m grossly mistaken when I answer. Why are you asking? xDD

I don’t know much about grammar, but as far as I know, the subject in english goes always in first place, and then it goes the verb.

So, if you say 

“Treasure Islands” is one of the best pirate stories that was /were ever written.  you’re putting “treasure islands” in first place and before a verb, that makes treasure islands the subject.

12:45 AM Mar 19 2015 |

Javi_920

Javi_920

Argentina

Besides, forget about the last part (“that was/were ever written”). It doesn’t matter that when talking about the subject. Let’s suppose the sentence is this: ”“Treasure Islands” is one of the best pirate stories”

So, do you actually think that in this case “one of the best pirate stories” is the subject? No way!

Examples:

My Porsche is one of the best cars.

My Porsche is one of the best pirate stories.

Treasure Islands is one the best cars.

Tresure Islands is one of the best pirate stories.

It is not possible for “one of the best cars” or “one of the best pirate stories” to be the subject!  What comes after the verb, is something (no matter what)related to the subject (My Porsche/Treasure Islands). 

Best,

Javi.

12:59 AM Mar 19 2015 |