Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Pronunciation

britdam007

britdam007

India

“These are the good ones”

In the above sentence I would like to know the reduced pronunciation of the auxiliary verb ‘are’ in American English. For example in British English, the helping verb ‘are’ changes into a mere schwa sound (i.e. the inverted e symbol) in fluent speech. So what it is like in  the U.S English? Please advise?

Best regards,

Abhishek

07:44 AM Apr 18 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

The pronunciation of the word “are” in the sentence, “These are the good ones,” doesn’t change in fluent speech. It still sounds just like the letter “r.” I hope this helps!

Best,

Amy

04:07 PM Apr 20 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

In British English it really does change ! But in American English it is still audible as the Americans tend to roll their ‘r’ a lot and it is a rhotic accent. Anyway in American English too the auxiliary verb reduces to a schwa sound but since the Americans roll or overpronounce the ‘r’ it is still audible in fluent speech. What do you think?

Best regards,

Abhishek

06:42 AM Apr 21 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

I think you’re right! It’s fascinating how differently British and Americans pronounce the same words. Do you agree?

Best,

Amy

05:37 PM Apr 25 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

I agree with you completely Teacher Amy. As a matter of fact, regarding pronunciation  I always follow the Oxford’s dictionary. But the other day I bought Webster’s dictionary to learn American Pronunciation of a couple of words like ‘Shirt” , ‘preserve’ , ‘reserve’. etc. I found out that the pronunciation of Shirt[British] was /ʃɜːt/ and the Shirt[American] was ʃərt ; that is to say the long vowel sound ɜː is simply replaced by ər for the sake of ‘effortless pronunciation’! Now this was unexpected to me because I couldn’t even imagine that even some of the vowel sounds could change in American pronunciation! But anyway, now that I have the Webser’s with me I can go back to it anytime if I have a doubt regarding American accent. And also thanks a million to you for your prompt response Teacher Amy. You have a wonderful day!

Best regards,

Abhishek

05:48 PM Apr 26 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Of course! That’s what we’re here for. :-)

Best,

Amy

01:40 AM Apr 27 2015 |