Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

songs

belcia

Brazil

I'm Izabel, an English teacher in Brazil and I'd like to have some ideas to work with songs in a class of beginners. I've already had some substitution exercises, to complete as they listen to the song but I'd like to have something different.  Thanks 

11:09 PM Jul 22 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

judithjudith

China

oh ,is my taste.thank you

09:01 AM Jul 23 2009 |

MichaelK

United States

I have not used this in my own classroom, but I found a resource on the Internet for English music lessons. 

http://www.musicalenglishlessons.com/

Besides doing fill in the blank exercise, the students should also try to sing! It's a fun way to get them open the mouth. You can have each students sing just one part of the song. It's like a singing relay!Smile

04:52 PM Jul 24 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

@ "You can have each students sing just one part of the song. "

I've tried this with both kids and adults. It's absolute fun and it turns into karaoke. You can have them take turns, each student singing a different line or you can be the one pointing randomly at a different student to continue somewhere in the middle of a line or something like that. Students love it.

09:45 PM Jul 25 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Oh, another thing I do is

a/ print out the song and cut it into slips of paper, so that each slip would have a part of the song. Then you mix those up and ask them to put the pieces of the song together.

b/ I use a hat, a bowl or just spread them face down on my desk and ask everyone to pull out a slip, then each would sing the part he pulled out of the bowl/hat etc

05:53 AM Jul 26 2009 |

MichaelK

United States

Great ideas Nad1a!

08:29 PM Aug 03 2009 |

sammy33

United States

I like to use songs that have themes I can use to build a whole lesson. For example, you can use Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" song to talk about materialism in American culture. My students also like reggae a lot. It is interesting to talk about the history of reggae music.

08:30 PM Aug 03 2009 |

123hammer

United States

Every visually perceptible place has potential merchant account for advertising. Especially urban areas with their structures but also landscapes in sight of through fares are more and more turning into media for advertisements. Signs, posters, billboards, flags have become decisive factors in the urban appearance and their numbers are still on the increase. “Outdoor high speed internet service advertising has become unavoidable. Traditional billboards and transit shelters have cleared the way for more pervasive methods such as wrapped vehicles, sides of buildings, electronic signs, kiosks, taxis, posters, sides of buses, and more. Digital technologies are used on buildings to sport ‘urban hard drive recovery wall displays’. In urban areas commercial content is placed in our sight and into our consciousness every moment we are in public space. The German Newspaper ‘Zeit’ called it a new kind of ‘dictatorship that one cannot escape’.[21] Over time, this domination of the surroundings has become the “natural” state. Through long-term commercial saturation, it has website hosting become implicitly understood by the public that advertising has the right to own, occupy and control every inch of available space. The steady normalization of invasive advertising dulls the public’s perception of their surroundings, re-enforcing a general attitude of powerlessness toward creativity and change, thus a cycle develops enabling advertisers to slowly and consistently increase the saturation of advertising with little or no public outcry.

07:04 AM Jan 18 2010 |