Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

Understanding American English Phrases

englishteacher24/7

United States

Greetings everyone!  It is my pleasure to return to writing mini lessons on understanding American English phrases.

For those of you who have been following my mini-lessons, I want to apologize to you (especially to those who wrote comments) for my mistake in deleting the posts.  If anyone wants a copy of the last 9 mini-lessons, please send me an email with “Request Mini Lessons” on the subject line and I’ll send you a copy.

We left off on the following phrases:

Hand-over-fist / Between a rock and a hard place / Back in the day

Since I’m starting over, this will be Mini Lesson No. 1, so “on with the show!”

1. Hand-over-fist 

This phrase is used primarily when describing someone/something that is earning money in a fast profitable manner.  Please study the following examples:

1. Henry and his brother Jack had an idea to sell flavored bottle water to people on the island, and they were making money “hand over fist” in their  business endeavor!

2.  Money lenders can make money “hand-over-fist” by charging various transaction fees.

3.  You can make money “hand over fist” if you supply goods to a market with strong demand and no competition.

Background of the phrase:  The origin of this phrase appears to be nautical from sailors who would reel in rope by placing a hand on the rope and pulling and then placing and pulling with the other hand, thereby, using a hand-over-hand motion until the rope was completely in. This phrase is commonly used in everyday American English by someone who wants to quickly convey the message of somebody making money fast, there may be some sarcasm in their tone of voice.  The other person may reply, “yes and they were laughing all the way to the bank!” (phrase for another lesson, try to understand the context)

2.  Between a rock and a hard place

This phrase indicates that a person is in an unfavorable position of having to make a decision which has choices that are undesirable.  In literal terms, it would express the thought of something caught between a rock and something else hard.  Whatever the hard place is, the result is the same, that is, entrapment.  Consider the examples:

1. Sally says to her mother: “Mom, I have 2 important tests to take for my final examination in school and I only have time to study for 1 of them, I’m really stuck “between a rock and a hard place,” help!”

Mom to Sally: Sally, why did you wait so late to study, you should have allowed yourself enough time!”  Sally to Mom: “Mom, that’s water under the bridge!” (another lesson, understand by the context)

2. The company’s policy was never to eliminate personnel due to financial reasons, however, the economy is so bad that they may have to go out of business unless they can reduce the budget.  Therefore, the company is “between a rock and a hard place” not to eliminate employees.

3. My parents are not in good health and need my help, however, I must work to be able to support them.  I am “between a rock and a hard place” to decide what to do?  

You can understand from the examples above that being “between a rock and a hard place” means having to make a difficult decision with either decision not being desirable.

Background of the phrase:  From Greek mythology of Odyssey.  This phrase is used commonly in everyday English.

3. Back in the day

This is a relatively new phrase that is being used to describe something that happened in the past.

1. “Back in the day” before computers, we relied on writing letters or sending telegrams instead of simply sending an email! 

2. “Back in the day” in high school, chess was a very popular game to play!

3. “Back in the day” during the 1950’s and 1960’s, love song lyrics were very romantic!

You can see from the use of this phrase that it is referring to something that happened during a time in the past that the speaker is causing the listener to refer to.

Background of the phrase:  This is a slang phrase that came from American urban life which has made it’s way into mainstream American English.  It’s used in informal conversation by young and old.

Well, it’s good to be back, thanks for all of the emails and friend requests I’ve received.  Some of you are really serious about learning English and I’ll do my best to help you understand authentic American English. 

Here is my suggestion for you to learn English: Read, Write, Speak and think in English!

Until the next time!

07:11 AM May 15 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

englishteacher24/7

United States

Meyra, I am very impressed with your depth of reasoning, if you continue on the path you're on, I predict you will be fluent in English. 

Welcome back Cathy, thanks for your feedback!

In regards to the meaning of the statement (proverb) "Finders, keepers, Losers weepers," let's analyze it to discover the meaning.  You have 4 root words which are all verbs:

Find= To locate or come upon something.

Keep= To retain possession of something.

Lose= To misplace something.

Weep= To cry about something.

By adding "er" we change all 4 root words to nouns (person, place or thing), therefore we have:

Finder= A person who finds something.

Keeper= A person who retains possession of something.

Loser= A person who lost something.

Weeper= A person who cries about something, in this case, having lost something.

Now let's determine the meaning:

Finders, keepers, losers weepers= A person who finds something (finder) takes possession of what they found (keeper), the person who lost their property (loser) is crying about it (weeper).

This proverb would be spoken by children to justify keeping something they found and don't want to return it.  Consider the following example:

Child says to mother: Mom, I found a bag of money on the ground and I'm happy about it!

Mother: You'll have to return it to the authorities!

Child: Why? It's mine! "Finders, keepers, losers, weepers!"

Mother: I don't think so, it's not yours, you'll have to return it!

Child: You're no fun Mom!

Mother: I know, when you're older, you'll understand!

I hope this explanation has been beneficial in learning how to determine the meaning of this type of statement.  Remember basic English and use it in practical ways.  Let me know if you have any questions.  

Mini lesson no. 8 is being prepared, stay tuned!

06:26 AM Sep 28 2010 |

Meyra

Meyra

Turkey

Thank you teacher,I hope so :) Here are some sentences which including our latest phrases:

"I know an older woman who looks on the cheap for everything."

"We have a lot of pets,that's why I always have to hold down the fort when my family left home."

It's a moot point to discuss something with ignorant people!" 

12:06 PM Sep 28 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Thanks PinkButterfly for your feedback, it's good to hear from a native speaker.

Meyra your use of the phrases are correct, if you hear them in a movie or from somewhere, you'll understand what they meant.

Everyone, don't forget you can type these phrases in a search engine such as Google and obtain additional examples of their meaning.

12:54 PM Sep 29 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Mini Lesson No. 8

A needle in a haystack / The tables have turned / Give you a heads up

1. A needle in a haystack= Looking for something that is located in a place where its not easy or impossible to find.  A needle is thin and would blend in with the straw in a haystack.  Here are some examples:

A. Jane – I dropped my contact lens somewhere in the grass, please help me find it.

Mary – It's going to be like looking for a "needle in a haystack," we have to hurry before it gets dark.

Jane – Thanks for helping me Mary!

B. Some women may feel that finding a good husband is like looking for a "needle in a haystack," but it's not true!

C. Finding the right gift for a child's birthday can be like looking for a "needle in a haystack!"

Origin of the phrase:

Back to the early 1500 starting with meadow instead of haystack.  In American English has been documented in the magazine" North American Review" January, 1832 p. 144-178

2. The tables have turned= A condition or situation has switched with the opposite condition or situation. Here are some examples:

A. A few years ago, the housing market in the United States and other places were a buyers market, however, because of the economy, "the tables have turned" and its a seller's market. 

B. Previously the Congress was controlled by the Republicans, now, "the tables have turned" and it's controlled by the democrats.

C. "The tables have turned" when a losing team begins to win!

Origin of the phrase:

There are a few stories of how this phrase began, some think it's related to games such as backgammon or chess where the player on the opposite side can play after the game has reversed.  It's been documented back in 1713 in the Guardian by Addison #134.  This phrase is likely to be used in written or spoken English and is common.

3. Give you a heads up= This phrase is to give someone an advanced notice about something or more details about something. Here are some examples:

A. I want to "give you a heads up" that the owner of the company is planning to by tomorrow.

B. I want to "give you a heads up" the schedule has changed!

C. I want to "give you a heads up" that I plan to come to your home for a visit while I'm in town tomorrow.

Origin of the phrase:

This phrase is a relatively new one and may have come from sports where a ball may be coming from another player and a person would holler, "heads up" to alert someone to prevent them from being hit by the ball.  It's very commonly used, especially in offices concerning business matters.

Well, that's it for now.  The next mini lesson is scheduled to be:

What goes around, comes around / Off the wall / Big time

The key to learning English is to immerse yourself in it!

06:57 AM Oct 06 2010 |

Ashley.布瓜

Ashley.布瓜

China

It's very nice mini lessons!!! useful and easy to remember!

thanks!

04:01 PM Oct 08 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Thanks Ashley, I'm delighted that your knowledge of authentic American English is increasing.

I would like to hear from the others in the online class, if you follow these mini lessons and would like for them to continue, please send a message and say so.

04:46 AM Oct 16 2010 |

Meyra

Meyra

Turkey

"My cat had escaped from home.Looking for it in the whole city is will be like looking for a needle in a haystack."

"The tables have turned and finally she has a good outcome from entry test."

"I want you to give you a heads up,it's going to rain tomorrow,don't forget to take your umbrella!"

Thanks for the phrases..We got a phrase in Turkish which is similar with "a needle in a haystack".We say that "looking for a needle in hay-barn" :) 

01:54 PM Oct 17 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

when will be mini lesson 9?)))

01:59 PM Oct 17 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

I'm finishing mini lesson no. 9 now, look to post today or tomorrow.  Thanks for asking.

03:46 AM Oct 20 2010 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Meyra, you got it!  You have used the phrases correctly.  If you were in the United States and heard someone using them, you would understand what they were saying.

Good job!

03:50 AM Oct 20 2010 |