1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.
“But it’s funny. It breaks the ice. It makes everyone smile. If it takes embarrassing me to make everyone happy I’ll take it.”
- Singer and actress Miley Cyrus on her father making fun of her in front of people she works with. (Media Village)
1. Definition - Study the definition.
start a conversation with a stranger; find a comfortable way to approach someone
2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.
Miley Cyrus stars as the title character in the show Hannah Montana and her father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, also plays her father in the show.
He’s a fun guy, so when they’re hanging on the set, he likes to tell the other actors and crew funny stories about Miley from when she was a kid.
After he tells the stories, a strange thing happens. Miley is better friends with everyone because the ice is broken. Everyone on the set knows something personal about her and they’ve seen her embarrassed, so now they feel closer to her.
When you meet someone new, there’s usually a bit of a barrier between you. You need something to break the ice and once it’s broken, you can get to know each other. It can be a personal detail like it is for Miley or a joke, or the discovery that you have something in common.
1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.
“The hardest part about a first date is breaking the ice.”
“Why don’t you ask her what she thinks about the election to break the ice?”