Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammer. Please help!

ahosokawa

United States

Americans say "We are short a person."  Why there is no preposition such as "on" between "short" and "a person"?  I was told that it is wrong to place a preposition in this case.  Please help!

04:43 PM Jan 06 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aniata

aniata

Algeria

yes we say  we are short  person because it is in plural we are in singular we say  I'M A SHORT PERSON ...ok Ithink it is correct 

07:33 PM Jan 06 2008 |

NorahSa

NorahSa

Hungary

Will you be so kind to explain what do you refer to with  I'M A SHORT PERSON?

Does it refer to a kind of a personality?

Thx in advance

Bye!

Stellina 

08:19 AM Jan 07 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Hi Ahoskawa, I am not sure what you actually mean in this context. But a team leader of a project would tell her manager "We are short of a person", meaning that the team needs an extra person to complete the project on time.  

09:59 AM Jan 07 2008 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Hi, you wouldn't say 'We are short a person" at the start of a discussion. Here is an example:
Two teams are chosen to do something. One team has 11 people on it, the other one has 10. The leader of the 10 group says. "We are short one person." (Nothing to do with height, just that there are 10 and not 11 on their team.) The other leader may reply with something like, "So, you are short a person? I'll see if I can fine someone else from the office to join your team."

We want to go to the gym for volleyball but we are 'short one person' or ' we are short a person'.

I hope this clears this up for everyone.  

12:13 PM Jan 07 2008 |

teeboy19852005

Nigeria

Gooddday everyone,

My name is Taiwo…im 22 male from Lagos… I'm new on here and i will be glad to help alot people with their english and also to make friends… I cant say i'm really perfect either but i'm sure i can help alot people with the basics and all what they need to communicate with anybody in an english speaking country. So feel free to contact me at my email address[ ] and we can fix a definite date and time to chat on messenger and we can treat some English topics.

Thanks

12:26 PM Jan 07 2008 |

ahosokawa

United States

Can anyone please help me with my original question?  Why there isn't a preposition between "short" and "a person"?  This is nothing to do with height.

10:05 PM Jan 20 2008 |

latin-lover

Italy

I'm no sure but I think this is one among milion exception in English linguage.

However, thanks for the question, it turn out useful.

10:31 PM Jan 20 2008 |