Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

on/in your mind

gracemlui

Australia

What's the difference between "on your mind" and "in your mind".  Do we use "What's on your mind" for question like this?

08:46 AM Oct 23 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

janiss

janiss

United States

What's on your mind means, what are you thinking about. What's in your mind. Isn't a sentence. Well,  techincally it is, but it doesn't make sense. 

Yes, you would use what's on your mind. 

12:43 PM Oct 24 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

"on" is used or should be used when your talking about it.

"in" is used when you're referring to something inside of it. 

I would say the correct answer is what's in your mind which means what's inside of your mind (your thoughts), what's on your mind means what's your mind made of (brain, blood, oxygen).

09:35 PM Oct 24 2006 |

janiss

janiss

United States

^^ that's incorrect, it would be the other way around. When you wanna know what someone is thinking you ask them "whats on their mind" not what's in there mind.

04:11 AM Oct 25 2006 |

Jerry.ping

China

"on  one's mind" and "in one's mind" are both all right, I am  sure of this! The former one means "get somebody worry about something" ,The latter one means "what's somebody thinking about",as follows are two examples"

Your little brother is ofen on your mind!(你总是替你弟弟操心)

I suggest going to kunMing for travelling durning National Day,What's in your mind?(我建议国庆节去昆明玩,你的意思呢?)

07:12 AM Oct 26 2006 |