Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

What do you think about marring a foreigner?

cynthia_Verdin

Mexico

Do you think is dangerous, interesting, or fun to meet a person from a differente country and make a family?

08:46 PM Mar 28 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Patiś

Patiś

Poland

I think is intresting and fun. You learn new culture andd new customs. You and your partner are different and it is so exciting i think. But sometimes it may be difficult to live in foreign country apart from your family. And u must adjust to new country, people, religion… But i believe in love and i think that when u love it is most important to be wiyh your love.

What do U think about it?

09:06 PM Mar 28 2008 |

Natalie19

Natalie19

Poland

I think a marriage like that could be very interesting. It can be some kind of challenge to attach with a person from other country, get to know his customs, lifestyle, become acclimatized to his counry (if you decide to move there). But sometimes it can be also little risky, if the differences between those two cultures are very big.. But what one doesn't do for a great love?:)

09:15 PM Mar 28 2008 |

cynthia_Verdin

Mexico

Yeah I think it can be a risk but an interesting and great adventure if you find the right partner for you. In my case, my sister is married an american and they have 2 children, they are fantastic, although they dont speak spanish like me!

09:20 PM Mar 28 2008 |

fathma

fathma

Taiwan

If you really do so,I should say you are very brave.

But ,you can't do it just in fun,unless really love him.

01:04 AM Mar 29 2008 |

renevaldez

Mexico

if you speak the same lenguage maiby  is fun , because you enjoy , but if dou you not speak very well you will have problem.

01:27 AM Mar 29 2008 |

lolyoshi

lolyoshi

Viet Nam

I think there're many problems when you marry a foreigner such as different culture, customs and language (maybe). However, when you really love together, you can overcome difficulty, and you'll be happy.

11:13 AM Mar 29 2008 |

a.k

a.k

Canada

i guess i should have the most say in this since i live in canada…

as for as i'm concerned, as long as you have enough common interests and are willing to make a few cultural sacrifices or adjustments, it's going to work out fabulously. but there still lies the problem of cultural differences. for example, if i marry a catholic girl i'm NOT going to church. i'm a muslim. so an understanding and respect for each other's beliefs and cultures are necessary in keeping such a relationship.

for some, this might be hard to do, but in a globalizing world we must drop down the ethnocentrism that surrounds us before approaching anything that we probably never came into contact with before, such as new cultures, for those of us that do not live in a culturally diverse community.

as far as kids go, there's no harm in being trilingual or multilingual, so that's one up. but the loss of ethnic identity can be tragic. the parents must transfer their culture onto the child as much as possible to allow the child to know who he/she is. a strong social solidarity is what keeps down the depression and thereby providing the child a mentally healthy life.

all spoken from first hand experience, of course.

so in brief, communication is key for a healthy relationship between child and partner of different backgrounds.

05:40 AM Apr 03 2008 |

phamtai

Viet Nam

Hello, I'm agree with opinion of Patis'. When you meet and fall in love with any body but not your country, It is very difficult. You should be think so much, ex: your family, friends ….

Do you believe in God?

When I was born in 1980. Now I believe in my destiny. Every body had a private destiny.But you believe in love in the futute, you will successful.

Have a good luck

09:54 AM Apr 03 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Marrying a foriegn national is good for the children because usually it gives them dual citizenship. Also, it is good for the children because they can grow up bilingual (if the parents make the effort to use both languages with the children).

In America many children are born from parents who come from different countries. In fact, technically speaking, everyone in America is a foreigner since we are all immigrants.

03:10 PM Apr 11 2008 |

zeinabou

zeinabou

Egypt

I m not with it totally ,i m half French and with the big difference between the two cultures i m confused..

03:55 PM Apr 11 2008 |