Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle', this is one line in one of U2's song. But I don't understand why bicyble is so important to a fish. I thought it was water that a fish could not lack for.

It is highly appreciated that if anyone can explain what's the background story or something like that.  Thanks in advance.  Take care, be well.

10:49 AM Nov 21 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tabetha

Tabetha

Germany

Hi Sherry,

you did not get the meaning of it, it means the opposite – woman don´t need men. (Your right, a fish does NOT need a bicycle.)

And I agree … :- )

In Germany we have another sentence like this, I will try to translate and explain it. "Das kann ich gebrauchen, wie der Teufel das Weihwasser." My Grandma often used it, meaning is something like: "I need it like Lucifer the holy water." Lucifer (!) doesn´t need holy (!) water.

Some of the German people: Do you know the Teufel and the Weihwasser?

You get it?

Have a nice day all over the world.

05:03 PM Nov 21 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Hehe, it is called sarcasm. Women don't need men, men don't need women though women usually live with men and viceversa, that's what makes it interesting.

Greets.

12:01 AM Nov 22 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I can not help laughing, I did not expect it's like that. Many thanks to Tabetha and Zars, for the explanation. 

Really women do not need men or men do not need women? maybe, but then the man needs a man and the woman needs a woman. Ha ha, joking. I guess all of us need love and to be loved, that's what our life is about.  Cheers.

03:12 AM Nov 22 2006 |

Liton

Liton

Bangladesh

Dear Sherry,

Although you are joking but through through this joke you have duly pinpointed the futility of the sentence or idea.

Those who say that "A woman needs….....", must either LYING or are PERVERTS (as mentioned in your joke !!!!!)

You better believe it firmly that a woman needs a man and a man needs a woman. They are made for each other. And this is real beauty!

Lots of love, Sherry!

05:36 AM Nov 23 2006 |

achyon

achyon

Nepal

Hehhee

I am agree to you women need man and men need women. But nawadays guys and lesbiyans are also here in the world, they are demonstrating  to get their rights and they are satisfite to each other, Man to man and women t women. Please you shouls cear that also. But  am not guy. I am normal. 

thanks 

02:57 PM Nov 23 2006 |

Tabetha

Tabetha

Germany

Achyon, sorry, what is NORMAL?

It´s funny, I thought too, as I read it this morning, that there are also lesbian and guys.

So, now they are mentionend :- )

Have a nice day all over the world – equal, if black or white, female or male, hetero or gay.

05:23 PM Nov 23 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Thanks, Liton.  Actually I was trying to say everyone needs some relationship/love with others, we can not be isolated from the society.  It has nothing with our sexual tendency, or something else.  No matter what we are, being straight, being homosexual, we are NORMAL. I have never had any prejudices against gays, I think sometimes they have no choices.  Remember the movie BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN? I like that film, and I do think the love between two men are same real as the love of all of us. They tried to be NORMAL, but they could not run away from each other, there were connection between them.  I know gay topic has been controversial, but I think we all have the right to choose the life we want, and actually being homosexual, the life is much tougher to them.

Have a good day, guys.

01:38 AM Nov 24 2006 |

selami

selami

Turkey

hello

11:10 AM Nov 27 2006 |

Walid

Afghanistan

Hi Zey,Smile

I am interested to have communication with you and enjoy life.I am so interested to improve my English language by chatting and have communication with pople like you.We can be good friends together and will mutually benefit fron this communication.Have a good time and take care.

Dr.Walid Foroogh Herat-Afghanistan UNDP M&E Assistant

(0093)778860250 or 799359262

10:15 AM Nov 29 2006 |

Liton

Liton

Bangladesh

Dear Sherry,

Actually we are talking about such a sensitive topic that we are really not in a position (being Asian) to speak out everything. However, the words like NORMAL, FREEDOM, HUMAN RIGHT are not very distinct. Does every one has the right to do everything if he or she feels it NORMAL? If a guy gets involved in sexual relation with his sister or mother, do you think they have the RIGHT to do so? May be they will come up with logic like – they love each other so much that blah blah blah. If they claim that it is NORMAL to them and they have the RIGHT to do so, what will you say? Human beings have no dearth of logic. Suppose one of your neighbour loves his father s-o-o-o-o much that after his father is dead he keeps the body in the bedroom for one month instead of burying the dead body. He may argue that he loves his father so much that he is not in a positon to be detached with him. As a neighbour, what do you think? NORMAL ? He has RIGHT to do so ??!!

Actually, beauty is beauty, unpleasentness is unpleasantness. The doctrine of HUMAN RIGHT has nothing to do with it.

Best of luck, friends!!

04:37 AM Nov 30 2006 |