Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

The difference between american and british english

ecofin

ecofin

Algeria

Hello,

Why inthe past participle the final "l" is always doubled in British English but not in American English.

For example:  

Travel – travelled (BE)

Travel – traveled (AE)

I hope to hear from you.Smile

04:46 PM May 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aljensen

aljensen

United States

The United States began as a British colony. After we became indepedent, many people wanted to show that we were different from England, that we were our own seperate country. This was hard, though, because culturally we were very, very similar to the English.

In 1806 Noah Webster published the first American dictionary, he changed the British spellings. Most of these changes were simplifications (such as "honor" instead of "honour", "program" instead of "programme"), making it easier to spell the words. The dictionary was very popular, and since Webster wrote many of the first textbooks used in the US, the spellings became standard.

05:38 PM May 05 2008 |

ecofin

ecofin

Algeria

Thank you so much for responding to my question.

06:28 PM May 05 2008 |

TranceGirl85

Netherlands

Hmm.. i can't say too much about this difference,but i love american accent:)))

Of course i see the difference,but especially i like this accent (way of speaking);) 

08:40 PM May 05 2008 |

ecofin

ecofin

Algeria

At the moment I'm practicing the american accent because I'm very fascinating with it and I find it more interesting and especially in my field of study.

08:51 PM May 05 2008 |

LUCIé

LUCIé

United States

aljensen is rigth!

i thought that american english is more light to learn and talk than british english which more "royal" and refined!

american english is like a "slang" of british english if you understand my think!

04:00 PM May 14 2008 |

the_only_one

Albania

difficult to give a correct answer.i think british english is better than american one.they have differences but at the end they have the same base

11:12 AM Jul 11 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

american english is like a "slang" of british english if you understand my think!

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. American English and British English really aren't that different, it's the same language, it's just spoken a little differently.

01:32 PM Jul 11 2008 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

AE is similar to many things emanating from the US, it is 'dumbed down'. Less of a need to think the big thoughts, less reasoning involved, more time to watch TV while ignoring things like politics and the decay of society. As has been proven many times by Mr. Bush and Mr. Quayle, the 'dumbing down' didn't go far enough. 

01:17 AM Jul 18 2008 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Then…I prefer the BE,it combine more with me,although I don't to speak very well,but I try and study! hehe

I'm on the favor of formalities and slangs on their due moments ;)

12:28 AM Oct 03 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

American English is a catch-all language. It is more expansive in a modern sense of language. It takes words from many other languages and adds them to the repertoire. As such, it can be a more succinct language. Due to the exportation of American media all over the world, American English has become the default version of English around the world. Since the world sees this version as THE English, it behooves ESL students to master American English and look to the learning of British English as more of a novelty. With one exception: if one was to consider moving to Britain or a recently former colony where the British version is spoken predominately, then job one is to learn British English.

08:06 AM Oct 03 2008 |