Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

who is good at finding out mistakes?

thang77

Viet Nam

I am demuring at what the mistakes in these sentences are.Please help me find them and could you spare your little time to correct them for me?Thanks in advance!
Sentence 1 is:'She hasn't much money to spend because she can find out only a part-time job'
Sentence 2 is:'If an ambulance isn't coming soon,the passenger who has many deep cuts in the head and shoulders will bleed to die'
Sentence 3 is:'English has become a world language because of its establishment as a mother-tongue out of England'
I can only find out the mistake in the sentence 2 which is the word 'die',and I turn it into 'death'.But i am not sure about my correction.

03:38 AM May 06 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

thang77

Viet Nam

no one help me?

03:06 AM May 07 2008 |

banmaixanh

banmaixanh

Viet Nam

Sentence 1 is:'She hasn't much money to spend because she can find out only a part-time job'

Sentence 2 is:'If an ambulance isn't coming soon,the passenger who has many deep cuts in the head and shoulders will bleed to die'

Sentence 3 is:'English has become a world language because of its establishment as a mother-tongue out of England' I can only find out the mistake in the sentence 2 which is the word 'die',and I turn it into 'death'.But i am not sure about my correction.

-—let me suggest some answers:

1. she can only find out

2. bleed to death

( bleed: past tense and past participle bled [intransitive] to lose blood, especially because of an injury: ex: your nose is bleeding. Tragically, she bled to death.) from longman dictionary

3.  I don't know how to correct it, I just think it's not appropriate. hope that you can solve them soon.

07:32 AM May 07 2008 |

cht0201

cht0201

China

sentence 3 : I think the word "establishment" isn't suitable.Perhaps consideration will be better.

11:19 AM May 07 2008 |

nikoljanson2008

Germany

iem 1:i think it should be:  i dont have much money to spend. 

11:31 AM May 07 2008 |

nikoljanson2008

Germany

BY THE WAY I AM LOOKING FOR A PARTNER who help me to improve my english languge .you can reach me over by below eamil:

11:34 AM May 07 2008 |

thang77

Viet Nam

thank all of you so much!

03:27 AM May 08 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

We could use less words in a sentence and still get our point across.

Instead of 'She hasn't much money to spend because she can find out only a part-time job', I would say 'She hasn't much money because she can only find part-time work.' The words 'to spend' are not required as they are obvious.

04:38 AM May 08 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

For the second sentence, 'If an ambulance isn't coming soon,the passenger who has many deep cuts in the head and shoulders will bleed to die', I'll reword it as: 'If an ambulance does not come/arrive soon, the passenger who has many/several deep cuts in the head and the shoulders will bleed to death.'

05:47 AM May 08 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

For sentence 1 and 2, I'd join tiffintime.

maybe instead of " she hasn't much money" , i'd say: "she doesn't have" or "she hasn't got"

for sentence 3: 'English has become a world language because of its establishment as a mother-tongue out of England', I'd rather say:

"'English has become a world language as it has established itself as a mother-tongue out of England'" 

12:31 AM May 09 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

find out = to realize, figure out something, learn (the truth, a fact etc) ; therefore, you find money and not find it out.

12:41 AM May 09 2008 |